Why I haven't been on the site so much in the past 6 months

davidstorm

Link Posted 21/06/2015 - 22:16
Hi Everyone

Just thought I would let you all see a couple of pics which explain why I haven't been around much for the past 6 months. It's sort of a 'before' and 'after' story of the ongoing renovations in our house. We have a 3 storey Victorian house, the bottom floor of which comprise cellar rooms which occupy the full footprint of the, so a lot of space. When we moved in 14 years ago, the cellars were derelict and recently we have been working hard to bring them back to a liveable state. The first to be almost completed is the room at the North end, which will be a music room, full of guitars, amplifiers, keyboards and drums. Here's the 'before' (9 years ago when the room was first stripped back) to the 'after' taken this evening.

Before - Dereliction:

Huge cracks in the walls, everywhere soaking wet, no wall to the right of the fireplace (I'd just taken it down as it was badly built), rotten joists etc.

After - Renovation:

All walls repaired, re-pointed and waterproofed where required, fireplace waterproofed and re-built with a new stone lintel, joist ends cut off and replaced with metal 'Bower Beams', new ceiling, reinforcing stone wall (double) built to the right of the fireplace, new electrics, new lighting, walls plastered with renovating plaster, underfloor heating installed. All that remains is to whitewash the walls and put down a slate floor.

All done by my own fair hands, 6 months of hard graft!

Cheers
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Last Edited by davidstorm on 21/06/2015 - 22:24

Stuey

Link Posted 21/06/2015 - 22:58
Well done David

I know how time consuming and body wrecking it can be - not to mention the bank account strain

I have to admit that despite being a regular gym type plastering kicks the backside out of me - I certainly know what I have been doing after it's done.

I hate the two coats of watered down plaster required on new plaster - paint is ok to handle but when watered down it becomes more tricky

It's looking good David

Regards

Stu.
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

timcx500e

Link Posted 21/06/2015 - 23:01
David , what a transformation ,well done , i am renovating the loft at the moment spending more time sorting the previous owners bodges than getting on with the job ! tried persuading her indoors to move to a new build so i could spend time on my photography and my vintage radio renovations but she was having none of it ! its hard doing a physical job then coming home and starting again . if only i was 20 years younger anyway enjoy the fruits of your labour , regards, tim.

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 21/06/2015 - 23:14
Looks great, top job! What room will it be once finished ?
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 50mm macro - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

davidstorm

Link Posted 21/06/2015 - 23:19
Thanks guys. Gareth, it will initially be a music room, somewhere for me and the family to play our guitars, keyboards, drums etc., but it could be anything in the future; sitting room, cinema room (no natural light), bar room.

Cheers
David

Flickr

DrOrloff

Link Posted 21/06/2015 - 23:21
Looks great. Cinema surely (with bar).
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

davidwozhere

Link Posted 22/06/2015 - 01:45
Guitars? Drums? ..... I don't see any hooks for ear defenders
Nice job though.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

alfpics

Link Posted 22/06/2015 - 07:11
Impressive - so was it 8 1/2 years procrastination before starting it?
Do you know if its any good yet acoustically speaking?
Andy

autumnlight

Link Posted 22/06/2015 - 17:08
No wonder you haven't been on here much David, a fantastic project and an even more amazing finished result!
Kind regards Maria

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maria-Gray-photography/589310071158079?ref=hl

gtis

Link Posted 22/06/2015 - 19:25
Nice work david like the bar idea
cheers Neil
pentax k3 k5 super A da* 300 f4 da*50-135 f 2.8 smc 50mm f1.7 af 360 fgz pentax1.4xhd converter
Pentax o-gps1

Panasonic Dmc Fz200

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 22/06/2015 - 20:07
A grand design indeed, David. What a transformation!
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

LennyBloke

Link Posted 22/06/2015 - 20:22
Looks like a job well done - Well Done
LennyBloke

simonarron

Link Posted 22/06/2015 - 20:43
Nice to see you resurface, David... and that's one hell of an undertaking. I can barely put up a straight shelf...

tyronet2000

Link Posted 22/06/2015 - 23:00
Well Done David, I thought you had been conspicuous by your absence but not surprising. Welcome back to the "real" world
Regards
Stan

PPG

davidstorm

Link Posted 22/06/2015 - 23:43
Thanks for the comments and encouragement everyone.

tyronet2000 wrote:
Well Done David, I thought you had been conspicuous by your absence but not surprising. Welcome back to the "real" world

Not quite finished yet Stan, I reckon on another 3-4 months yet, as there are another two rooms and the cellar stairs to complete!

alfpics wrote:
Impressive - so was it 8 1/2 years procrastination before starting it?
Do you know if its any good yet acoustically speaking?

No procrastination Andy, we've had to virtually rebuild the house since we moved in; new slate roof covering, new drains, new lintels to replace rotten wooden ones, new windows, sandblast off render from the outside which was damaging the stonework, re-point outside walls, unblock chimney flues and reinstate period fireplaces, new chimney stacks, new chimney pots, re-line chimney flues with thermocrete, fit a log burner, remodel the whole of the (large) garden, new fences all round, dig up rough and potholed driveway and replace with block paving, re-build modern sunroom extension which was falling down and leaking through the roof, fit structural steel re-enforcements in the main cellar room, to stop the main house wall bulging inwards, due to pressure from an arch which forms the ceiling of a 'hidden room' which is underneath our front garden!

In the cellars we had to wait for underfloor heating to go in, together with a hybrid air source heat pump / gas central heating system, so that the walls dried out to an acceptable level before we could start work on them. We still have probably 2 or 3 years worth of work to complete, about 3 or 4 months of which will see the cellars finished.

Acoustically speaking, it will need some acoustic foam on the walls to dampen it down, with some soft furnishings as it echoes a bit, although at the moment its completely empty.

gtis wrote:
Nice work david like the bar idea

That's going in one of the other cellar rooms Neil!

It's all been a bit of an adventure and makes me shudder when I list what we've done, but on the bright side we're probably 3/4 of the way to finishing.

Thanks again all, I'll post a few more pics when other bits get finished.

Cheers
David

Flickr

Last Edited by davidstorm on 22/06/2015 - 23:45
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.