Why do we stay with Pentax?

MattyH

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 13:37
I hope I don't offend anyone with the title of this topic, But it is a question I have been mulling over this last month or so,

The reason I bring up this topic now, is that last night I got a hands on quick preview of a new camera that will be released in the next few weeks that simply blew me away, it's been such a long time since I wanted a bit of kit so bad. It has only ever happened twice in the last 30 odd years, once when my dad bought an LX and the second when the 645 was released, I do own both now thanks to my dad and ebay,

But that was then, and now in the latter stages of 2013, things are changing in the photo world, and moving fast and leaving Pentax behind, I have always owned a Pentax camera of some sorts since 1979, I have and still do own other brand cameras including a MFT kit, but at the end of the day I am always the happiest when I am using Pentax even though other cameras I own are better for certain things.

But this morning I sat down and looked at my Pentax kit and started to work out what I could sell certain items for, to buy this new camera, And I will tell you something I have never done that before, And I will tell you something else, I packed it all away again as I just cannot bring myself to sell anything, My wife things I am mad, My kids are starting to give me strange looks and as for my iPhone loving friends I daren't tell you what the think.

So my MFT kit is on its way to ebay, and my Pentax kit is safe and sound for another year, But why, why should it be like that, surely it's on A camera or A lens, just because it's a Pentax it shouldn't make a difference but for some reason it does.

So what is it with Pentax that makes US different then everybody else, Why do we stay with Pentax.

johnriley

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 13:49
I stay with Pentax because I like the ergonomics and the colour balance of the results. In other words, it's efficient to use and the results are exactly what I want. The quality of the construction is an added bonus, everything fits together properly, smoothly and beautifully. Quality can be enjoyed on many levels.

I was reading the review in AP re the Olympus E-5 replacement and reflecting how it already seems dated and blown out of the water by the K-3. The comparison between the K-3 and a FF camera also shows the K-3 as clearly superior in results. So what will those who have jumped ship at huge expense do now? Jump back at even more expense? It's futile, a constant leap-frogging that has already gone beyond what most of us actually need.

Wanting things is fine and I've suffered from it as much as anyone else, but I don't intend going anywhere regardless of what other marques may introduce. What I have with Pentax fits the profile of what I want to do photographically 100%. If it didn't, I wouldn't be using it, would I?
Best regards, John

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 14:00
I like the way Pentax cameras are set up (ergonomics and logical controls / menus matter!) and to me they offer good value. If I was into the latest and greatest flagship model my opinion may differ....
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

MattyH

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 14:09
I quite agree with you both, do you think it's also to do with the old school charm of what Pentax used to stand for back in the older days, and those things are still true today, I also love using, holding and caressing my MX-1 just because there is no other current compact camera that feels like it.

johnriley

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 14:19
Quote:
do you think it's also to do with the old school charm of what Pentax used to stand for back in the older days

Any emotional feelings like that are just a bonus. If the cameras were no good it would be pointless.

Quote:
I also love using, holding and caressing my MX-1

It's a pleasure because it is a beautiful piece of engineering, but caressing it seems a step too far IMHO.....
Best regards, John

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 14:21
I guess if 'caressability' was that important, I would have switched to Fuji or Olympus with their dinky little mirrorless systems that mimic classic film SLRs.

But flexibility and ease of use matters more for me, and I still believe a chunky black DSLR and some high quality lenses will be more useful to me.

If I want to caress a camera, I can always pick up my old original MX. And pop it back on the shelf.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

MattyH

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 14:37
Ok I think caressing was the wrong word,but you know when you hold a camera or any other bit of engineering and it feels just right and everything is how it should be, well that's what I get with my Pentax.

But and heres the thing, I also got that same feeling two fold with this new camera, hence my thinking..........
Last Edited by MattyH on 27/10/2013 - 14:38

cbrog

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 15:12
If I didn't stay what would I do with the 40 lenses cluttering up two cupboards and the bottom of my wardrobe?

Not to mention....Ah never mind

ChrisA

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 15:16
MattyH wrote:
...and now in the latter stages of 2013, things are changing in the photo world, and moving fast and leaving Pentax behind

I think this is actually wrong. It was true a few years ago, but it seems to me now that Pentax is catching up, rather than falling further behind.

If this continues, then all the reasons others have given for sticking with Pentax (ergonomics, build quality) make it more and more sensible to do so.

If the K-3 is all it stacks up to be, there'll be no reason to jump ship at all AFAICS.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

johnha

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 16:04
Pentax is in a much better position now than for a long time. When was the last time Pentax had a truly revolutionary camera (apart from the hugely expensive 645D that is)?

My first Pentax was a Super-A, the simplicity of having an 'A' on the shutter speed dial & aperture ring and if you wanted to automate (or not) either or both it was obvious - like Hyper Program is now.

I like being able to seamlessly switch between a DSLR and manual film SLR - with most of my lenses just working. Or you can put a beautifully made 'M' lens on a DSLR.

I once bought an EOS 5 film camera, simply horrid for me to use and the 28-135 IS lens was huge, heavy & slow. Sold the lens and replaced it with a 50/1.8 which felt much better (rubbish build though) but only ran a handful of films through it. I still have it in a cupboard somewhere - I'd much rather shoot any Pentax film camera in preference.
PPG Flickr

michaelblue

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 17:47
I've used canon and nikon DSLRs and of course they produce excellent images but the build quality (except the very expensive pro models) and ergonomics are nowhere near as good as Pentax, plus all that John has mentioned above.

Also, a friend switched from Pentax to Sony, then to Sony full frame......when it comes to colour balance (I'm not talking about 'white balance' here) Pentax wins hands down every time.
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

Opethian

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 18:16
Pentax because it feels right. The camera feels like it will always deliver and I am the limiting factor. It has the best community anywhere in the world, with people that I can talk to easily.

The best reason for me, and this may sound weird to many, it's that it isn't Canon or Nikon. I have always strayed away from the norm. Pentax is not only different, but in many aspects I feel that it is better.

I like to be different.

Twitter | Someone said time-lapse?
Pentax K5 | Samsung N9005 | DA 18-55 WR | DA 35 2.4 | DA 50 1.8
Tamron 10-24 SP | Tamron 90 2.8 Macro | Tamron 70-300 Macro
Samyang 85 1.4 ...and a few other manual lenses older than me.

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 19:51
The handling and intuitive ease of use, coupled with an amazing range of features for the price - and that was a new k7, the design of which was already 3 years old by the time I discovered it. And it still blew away the most recent similarly priced models of the competition.

Plus there's nothing like the solid quality feel of it all (with the b-g4 grip) and my a and m series lenses attached.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Stuey

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 20:31
I stick with Pentax for the same reasons I bought one in the first place - I like them and partly as mentioned above and partly as I get results that make me happy

Why move if you don't need to - it is nice to have a shiny new something but how many have changed system only to wish they hadn't (even if they don't admit it )- the grass is not always greener - apparently
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Smeggypants

Link Posted 27/10/2013 - 21:19
Opethian wrote:
Pentax because it feels right. The camera feels like it will always deliver and I am the limiting factor. It has the best community anywhere in the world, with people that I can talk to easily.

The best reason for me, and this may sound weird to many, it's that it isn't Canon or Nikon. I have always strayed away from the norm. Pentax is not only different, but in many aspects I feel that it is better.

I like to be different.

What will you do if Pentax ever becomes a best seller again?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.