LennyBloke wrote:
How many reasons do you want?

1. MX
2. LX
3. K20D
4. A* lenses (and A lenses)
5. FA* lenses (and FA lenses)
etc

I was hoping for at least 7 reasons LennyBloke!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

Canada_Rockies

Link Posted 16/01/2012 - 01:40
Pentax chose me. In 1961. There has always been a reasoned upgrade path with Pentax. I can still mount a screw mount lens, meter with it, and take images. My first Pentax was the first Asahi Pentax with the original 55/2.2 preset lens, bought used out of a pawn shop in Vancouver, BC, Canada. It lasted a long time, but the shutters (cloth) wore through, and I bought a KX (not the digital one) with K 55/1.8 and a Mount adaptor K. The original went to a collector for display in his shop. I could still use my Takumar 135/3.5 preset while saving up. And so it has gone over the years. A nice bit of used equipment here and there, and the next thing you know my camera bag holds a K10D with grip, DA 12-24, DA* 16-50, DA L 55-300, M 100/4 macro, M 400/5.6, 1.4X-S converter, 1.7X AFA, 50mm extension tube and in my wife's hands the MZ-S and FA 24-90. All my glass is Pentax. My choice and may not be right for you
Albert in the Canadian Rocky Mountains
K3, M 400/5.6, M 100/4 macro, DA 12-24, DA* 16-50, DA L 55-300
FA 24-90, 1.7X AFA, 1.4X-S
AF 540 FGZ flash

JayGreenaway

Link Posted 16/01/2012 - 02:17
simonarron wrote:

Not sure this qualifies as a great pic, but it's the shot that won me a K1000 (plus a couple of lenses) in the tale related a few posts earlier. This was taken with Spotmatic and Takumar 250mm prime, from quite a long way back in the crowd at Paddock Hill Bend, Brands Hatch. It was a support race at the 1978 British GP, so the circuit was absolutely packed. Getting shots was a matter of pot luck, trying to find a gap between other spectators' heads.

The chap who won the BMW 316 submitted a capture from Lodge Corner, Oulton Park, which was also my regular haunt. I took this shortly after disembarking from an overnight coach trip between Cheshire and Kent...

SteveWB

Link Posted 16/01/2012 - 13:15
It was primarily a 'feel' thing, when I bought my 200D a couple of years ago - coupled with the suspicion that the photography press (like the motoring press) is not entirely unbiased when writing reviews and awarding scores. I'm glad I trusted my feelings (backed up by my wife's feelings).

MAK

Link Posted 06/07/2012 - 15:08
My step-dad has pentax cameras and brought me my first - and it means I can nick his lenses and try them out on my camera before forking out for my own

davidstorm

Link Posted 06/07/2012 - 23:04
Legacy lenses that I had a stash of from my slide film days, plus Pentax seemed to me to be the best blend of quality, value for money and ergonomics. I don't regret it for a moment.

Plus, you can buy one in metallic blue if you want

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Adam

Link Posted 07/07/2012 - 13:09
Good thread! My father had a Pentax ME in the 70s and I always loved the look of their cameras when I was young - and something far more appealing about them than say my dad's subsequent excellent but uninspiring Canon T90. When I bought my first digital compact I went for an Optio 450 (now used by my 7 yr old daughter) just because I liked the idea of getting a Pentax to be honest! Then for my first DSLR I went for a k200d as the spec was just what I wanted at that price point. And I instinctively wanted a Pentax... Am now loving my newish K5, regret selling the K200d though.

Happily I brought my father back into the fold after decades in the Canon/Olympus wilderness when I persuaded him to buy a KR last year. Which he's delighted with, of course!
Cheers, Adam
Body: K5
Flash: AF-360
Primes: Pentax DA 35 f 2.4, Pentax DA*55, DFA 100 Macro
Zooms: Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, DA 17-70, DA 18-135, DA 55-300, Sigma 50-150mm f 2.8 (Mk 2)

ronniemac

Link Posted 07/07/2012 - 14:38
I chose Pentax (MX) because my elder brother bought Olympus (OM1)!

(Truth is, he takes the better photos, but that's us not our gear).
Last Edited by ronniemac on 07/07/2012 - 14:40

womble

Link Posted 07/07/2012 - 15:01
When I wanted an SLR the ME Super had topped the sales charts (as reported in the camera magazines of the day) for months and months. I bought one without even handling it. In fact, my brass teacher bought it for me in Dallas.

When I got my first dSLR in 2007 I was in the US and the £$ exchange rate was very favourable for me. I bought a K10D on the basis of the reviews having never handled one.

I've never regretted either decision.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

InFESTation

Link Posted 07/07/2012 - 16:09
Because I hate to mindlessly listen to shop assistants, done a bit of research and reckoned the Pentax was worth a punt over the big 2, also after handling the others in a shop liked the feel better, button position was not a factor as I was moving from a Panasonic bridging camera.
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 07/07/2012 - 16:40
Because I have an obstinate streak. Wish I had gone Nikon in some ways, as it's a more complete system, but then again, I do get a kick out of using cheap, good, legacy glass.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Algernon

Link Posted 07/07/2012 - 16:59
Because German Cameras are the Best !
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

justa

Link Posted 07/07/2012 - 17:10
For me the k-x i bought was the only budget SLR that ticked all the boxes

i.e small and light, built in stabilisation, live view (although I don't use it now, coming from a compact I thought it was important) and the really good reviews it had - I got it for a very good price too.

I also disliked the snobbery of Canon and Nikon owners and just didn't want to get into that - seems a bit tedious.

Don't regret my decision either - the k-x has been a fantastic first SLR and the kit lenses are really very good.

As I haven't bought any other lenses it wouldn't be a disaster if I changed to Nikon or Canon but I don't think I will..

Rodders53

Link Posted 07/07/2012 - 17:52
Another Zenit B owner in the early 70s... traded in for an Olympus OM10 mid 70s...

Digging through old slides and scanning them reminded me how much I enjoyed photography, so I decided to treat myself to a Digital SLR last year. Budget £400-ish...

Then began the online research. The in-camera IS. The K-r twin zoom lens kit at reasonable cost. The ability to use old lenses (my Soligor 350mm with T2-K adapter). The odds stacked more and more in Pentax favour. Coupled with a 'good name' from the past. Once I'd handled one it was a 'no brainer' and I've been very pleased.

I just need to stop surfing and go out snapping more!

Oso

Link Posted 07/07/2012 - 21:10
Do not know about DSLR because I do not have one. When I first held a S1a, it felt right straight away especially its size and weight. Apart from that, I had good results with my photos, thanks to my Sekonic meter.
The other Pentax SLRs followed evantually.

My favourite is the ME super, light and easy to use, sort of a go anywhere camera.

Oso
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.