Who is a pro photographer?

Blythman

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 16:41
Just wondering who on here are pro photographers. Full time or part-time.

I think we all know maybe half a dozen, but I'm sure there are quite a few more, especially part-timers (or weekend warriors).

So if you are a pro, what type of photography are you getting paid for?
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Snootchies

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 17:04
I do the odd wedding here are there and corporate events, and sell prints of my work. My web site will be going live soon. But I also have a day job, so I'm strictly part time at the moment.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link

MartinEA

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 18:31
I am full time photographer and just moved to Pentax from Canon.

cabstar

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 18:45
Now part time pro due to becoming a full time degree student.

Shoot concert, festivals, red carpet events, weddings and night club photography.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Mike-P

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 18:51
MartinEA wrote:
I am full time photographer and just moved to Pentax from Canon.

Don't see that very often, it's usually the other way round ... can I ask why?
. My Flickr

MartinEA

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 19:07
Lots and lots of reasons Mike but to name a few I didn't like the heavy colour castes I got from the Canon, size and weight plus I just wanted to be different from everyone else. I tested the K-5 II raw files to the Canon and found I preferred them. I can do a lot more with the raw files from the Pentax and the noise at high ISO looks better and are easier to deal with. From a business point of view I can buy three Pentax K-5 IIs to one Canon 5d Mk3 and a 16 50 2.8 plus a 50-135 2.8 for the cost of one 70-200 2.8 Mk2 IS and have change. Not having IS in the lens they are more reliable (ignoring the SDM issue which appears to have been sorted).

I could easily name another 25 reasons if I sat and thought about it. The Pentax is just such a photographers camera. Trust me, the grass isn't greener, just different and sometimes not as good as you have.

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 21:40
Part time for me, mainly portraits and Event work.
Some Cameras

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 22:22
Part time for me too, and most of my income is from tuition - workshops, private tuition etc.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

womble

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 23:19
Well I often take photos as part of my job, but that isn't the same at all. Besides, the biggest challenge when photographing an excavation is making the students get it clean enough!

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Mannesty

Link Posted 02/02/2013 - 08:19
Part time for me. I shoot car race meetings in Spain where my images are published in local brit-rags and I occasionally help my son out in UK shooting horse events. He sells the images and gives me 'free' board and lodgings
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

gartmore

Link Posted 02/02/2013 - 09:58
I've been taking pictures for a living since 1977, if it doesn't move I'll photograph it
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Blythman

Link Posted 02/02/2013 - 15:41
Really interesting insight. Anyone else?
Alan

PPG
Flickr

DanielH

Link Posted 02/02/2013 - 21:00
Part time started last year. Two weddings done now on me lonesome, one family photoshoot and a commission piece of "artwork" for someones wall. Bid on a job covering a coporate event but in the end they decided they didnt have the budget for a Photographer shame it would be good to get a foot in that door.

Nothing on the horizon would love to do some natural light portraits....................

Mal

Link Posted 03/02/2013 - 11:46
A pro photographer is someone who makes a living solely from photography so that rules me out

cabstar

Link Posted 03/02/2013 - 11:59
Mal wrote:
A pro photographer is someone who makes a living solely from photography so that rules me out

By that definition Bryan Adams the rock star isn't a pro, yet he shoots for Q mag every month...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.