Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Who dominates the DSLR Market ? Some 2015 published indicative info / stats

Daronl
Posted 10/08/2015 - 06:12 Link
Daronl
richandfleur
Posted 10/08/2015 - 07:21 Link
Pentax look to be losing market share, down from 7.5% in 2012 to 4.5% 3 years later.

Sony see a DSLR as an old fashioned tech device so aren't playing that game any more. Hardly surprising they don't feature in the DSLR section.

I thought Seagate would have a bigger slice of the internal HDD market.
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 10/08/2015 - 08:23 Link
Disappointing to see that people continue to buy what the salesman tells them to instead of what's best.

I'm surprised to see that Fuji aren't doing better in the mirrorless market - as far as I can tell they have far and away the best cameras, lenses and system overall.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
johnriley
Posted 10/08/2015 - 08:35 Link
Very interesting.
Best regards, John
Algernon
Posted 10/08/2015 - 08:38 Link
richandfleur wrote:
I thought Seagate would have a bigger slice of the internal HDD market.

I'm surprised they have that much What I call junk!

http://www.myce.com/news/backblaze-publishes-data-on-specific-hard-drive-reliabi...

Up to Mar 2015

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 10/08/2015 - 08:44
michaelblue
Posted 10/08/2015 - 08:57 Link
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Disappointing to see that people continue to buy what the salesman tells them to instead of what's best.

I'm surprised to see that Fuji aren't doing better in the mirrorless market - as far as I can tell they have far and away the best cameras, lenses and system overall.

It says more about marketing than the quality of the product.
I've used Pentax cameras for years and yesterday tried out some canon and nikon DSLR's (mid-range models)...to be honest I've seen better made toys! Cheap plastic, flimsy, thrown together rubbish and as for the kit lenses......I was shocked at the quality.
Ricoh needs to up it's marketing.....significantly.....and get their products in the shops!
Regards,
Michael
richandfleur
Posted 10/08/2015 - 10:46 Link
michaelblue wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

I've used Pentax cameras for years and yesterday tried out some canon and nikon DSLR's (mid-range models)...to be honest I've seen better made toys! Cheap plastic, flimsy, thrown together rubbish and as for the kit lenses......I was shocked at the quality.
Ricoh needs to up it's marketing.....significantly.....and get their products in the shops!

Fully agree. At a comparable price point canons especially feel like plastic junk.

And Pentax doesn't offer a 'kit lens' compared to them. Canons base offerings are rubbish.

Re seagate, I don't like them either but they are cheaper so I thought they'd be a larger player.
1stEverPentax
Posted 10/08/2015 - 11:51 Link
Whilst it is always interesting to see the latest sales figures, I'd rather see either an overall Global set of figures or EU specific . Japanese data on its own is very misleading as their consumer market is totally unlike either the US or European markets. Gimmicky, ultra small and lightweight have far more appeal over there than in most of the rest of the world. Also financial accounting scandals have had a major impact on some of their best known brands.

As for Sony, i believe they are now going to be concentrating on their sensors rather than cameras per se as these are much more profitable for them.

r
Algernon
Posted 10/08/2015 - 12:30 Link
These are to YE 31/12/2014 so Pentax are probably higher with all the clearance sales this year

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
derek897
Posted 10/08/2015 - 23:44 Link
Getting stock into shops would be a help, or shops to stock pentax. Currently in Ireland only one shop stocks pentax. They are complete rip off merchants. They have 4 models listed, k 30, k5ii, k5iis and 645d of these only the k5ii is in stock and that is marked as low stock and priced at €969.99 body only.
The last time I spoke to their head rep he told me pentax weren't hip enough and only had a kind of cult / older following. They weren't even trying to push pentax and even if asked they were offering alternatives. Marketing seems to be a non starter over here anyway.
My tuppence worth.
Derek
I know what i like, If not always why.
richandfleur
Posted 11/08/2015 - 00:39 Link
derek897 wrote:
Getting stock into shops would be a help, or shops to stock pentax. Currently in Ireland only one shop stocks pentax. They are complete rip off merchants. They have 4 models listed, k 30, k5ii, k5iis and 645d of these only the k5ii is in stock and that is marked as low stock and priced at €969.99 body only.
The last time I spoke to their head rep he told me pentax weren't hip enough and only had a kind of cult / older following. They weren't even trying to push pentax and even if asked they were offering alternatives. Marketing seems to be a non starter over here anyway.
My tuppence worth.
Derek

New Zealand is the same. Through various camera stores and larger chain stores you can buy basically any brand of camera in my city, well except for Pentax.

I would have thought buyers of cameras outright would have been a bigger market to target than new buyers via the K-S1 for example. Pentax would sell more if they were just available to buy I suspect, rather than develop a new range for younger buyers, that you still can't buy anywhere.

Pentax simply aren't hip in New Zealand, they basically aren't anything as they're not available anywhere here.
50mpCMOS
Posted 11/08/2015 - 02:03 Link
Quote:

Especially needs to up the marketing with the possibility of Pentax full-frame this year. Marketing could and should clearly point out that Pentax full-frame will be better system than anything Nikon has- currently on their line-up. To point out the major items such as WR that exists in Pentax for a variety of camera bodies and lenses, another item that Nikon does not offer (minus the Nikon AW1). Nikon camera bodies have incredible weather resistance, but as for the Nikon lenses on the current market (again minus the AW1), not much is available from Nikon

On the flip side of full-frame... Take a look at what is presently on the market from the Canon 50mp full-frame; not only is there sensor perfection in that model, but look at some of the lenses that are available for it-even as variations of a kit lens. With the prices that Canon is currently offering, and the lenses - Pentax will have to ramp up their game considerably, and also get quite a few more lenses onto the market. It will be difficult for Pentax to match the Canon 50mp's
RobL
Posted 11/08/2015 - 10:28 Link
50mpCMOS wrote:
Quote:

Especially needs to up the marketing with the possibility of Pentax full-frame this year. Marketing could and should clearly point out that Pentax full-frame will be better system than anything Nikon has- currently on their line-up. To point out the major items such as WR that exists in Pentax for a variety of camera bodies and lenses, another item that Nikon does not offer (minus the Nikon AW1). Nikon camera bodies have incredible weather resistance, but as for the Nikon lenses on the current market (again minus the AW1), not much is available from Nikon

On the flip side of full-frame... Take a look at what is presently on the market from the Canon 50mp full-frame; not only is there sensor perfection in that model, but look at some of the lenses that are available for it-even as variations of a kit lens. With the prices that Canon is currently offering, and the lenses - Pentax will have to ramp up their game considerably, and also get quite a few more lenses onto the market. It will be difficult for Pentax to match the Canon 50mp's

Rumours on one website are that the FF will have the Sony 42mp sensor: http://photorumors.com/2015/06/26/pentax-rep-the-new-full-frame-pentax-dslr-came... A strong marketing strategy from Pentax has been the functionality of older lenses on new models, and I believe that they claim to have more lenses out there than anyone else. They will point to the large pool of inexpensive 35mm lenses whilst gradually expanding the range of new lenses which work in both formats.
Posted 11/08/2015 - 11:28 Link
I agree 100%.
I don't know why Ricoh / Pentax don't market their product more aggressively . I had Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, Sony and Pentax digital cameras. As far as functionality and performance Canon and Nikon are pretty good and probably lead the market. When you consider quality of the product, customasation and photography feel, Canon and Nikon in mid range DSLR make mass market plastic toys and in my opinion Pentax is by far best camera manufacturer one the market, followed by Fuji and probably Sony. I am talking for the combination of overall feel as a photographic tool, handling, quality of cameras and castumasation options.
Problem is Pentax (and Fuji ) are very poorly represented in the retail outlets and if you try to get some lens or accessory, be prepared to wait weeks as everything has to go through C.R. Kennedy (distributor for Ricoh / Pentax in Australia) . At the moment I have Pentax K3II and Sony a7 as well as a6000. Recently I had Pentax K5IIs and Fuji X-Pro1 and I can conclude that even that Sonys are excellent cameras when you hold it in your hand and take the shot, nothing comes close to the feeling of using Pentax and Fuji cameras.
So Pentax and Fuji kick your marketing guys in the back sides and get them to do some overtime. You have excellent products but no menu people are aware of it.
Regards,
Stevequote:3496ace15f="michaelblue"]
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

Ricoh needs to up it's marketing.....significantly.....and get their products in the shops![/quote]
MrB
Posted 11/08/2015 - 13:07 Link
I agree with much that has been written above. In 2011 when I decided that digital photography would be my retirement hobby, I went to look at the DSLRs available for handling on the shelves at PCWorld/Currys. Not only did Pentax give more for the money, but the build quality was obviously streets ahead, compared with similar (entry level) offerings from Canikon, and so I went for the K-r twin lens kit. Now Pentax seems to have disappeared from PCWorld/Currys, one of the biggest retailers. Presumably though, there is a chicken and egg situation:- ...low sales...low income...low marketing budget...low public awareness....low sales...etc... Releasing models with unacceptable faults probably doesn't help the cause, neither do upgrades that limit functionality - e.g. I might be wrong, but I would guess that most users and more importantly potential users, if they had to choose, would prefer the top of the new K-3 to house a flash rather than a GPS unit.

Cheers.
Philip

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.