White, blue and purple butterflies

davidwozhere

Link Posted 24/07/2018 - 00:54
Each year brings a dearth of some butterflies and an abundance of others. This year has produced a lot of whites and blues

Here is a male common blue (lower one) trying to cosy up to a female

Can someone please tell me the name of the foodplant this large white is enjoying?

The quality is below standard but the subject is most unusual. Purple hairstreaks spend most of their time in the canopies of oak trees.
Catching one at ground level is a rarity - and this one's objective was to get inside a box hedge!

Back to the blue ones

The dry weather has desiccated almost everything in sight except in peoples' gardens leaving thistles as the only source of nectar.
This common blue male gets the 'shove over' from a small skipper who is equally hungry.

Fill up while you can. Even the thistles will be gone soon.

All taken with a K3ii and Tamron 90 (272E)
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

DSP121

Link Posted 24/07/2018 - 06:57
Wow! Simply beautiful. Really attractive!
Nice pictures.
Signature Stamp on Photos

davidstorm

Link Posted 24/07/2018 - 10:41
Lovely pictures, the last one in particular is a stunner.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

derek897

Link Posted 24/07/2018 - 10:46
davidstorm wrote:
Lovely pictures, the last one in particular is a stunner.

Regards
David

Yep, I'd agree with that too 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
I know what i like, If not always why.

Daronl

Link Posted 24/07/2018 - 22:51
Very nice set of well taken images with very interesting observations.

The dry hot weather has not helped the larger species as you commented in one of my posts last week.

Of particular note for me is the very “tatty buddleia“ usually very abundant and blooming in late summer that should be coming into peak condition in August .

In my area it is actually dying back and with it the chance to capture the bigger more colourful species on camera that would normally populate it.

Maybe some much needed rain might revive some of these “ butterfly attracting plants” before the summer is passed.

I am finding butterfly activity is a little better in the warm shady areas along the canals but still depleted of red admirals , peacocks commas and what were such abundant species but have increasingly seen marsh fritillaries, painted ladies and comas in woodland and open fields over here in west Wales.

I am hoping to get a lens on them through August, but hoping is the operative word.

In the meantime I really appreciated your post and look forward to seeing how your butterfly exploits go through the late summer too.
Daronl
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.