Which wide lens for huge landscapes?

grambuch

Link Posted 09/07/2017 - 17:00
Sorry to respondents for delay - I have been not on the web for a few days. Thank you very much to all for your comprehensive comments, much appreciated. Given me lots of useful info to ponder.

graham

geordie01

Link Posted 11/07/2017 - 15:10
Another vote for the Sigma 10-20

microlight2010

Link Posted 14/07/2017 - 04:13
And another for the 10-17FE. Easy to de-fish when necessary, and compact.
K-3II - HD DA20-40 Limited, HD DA55-300PLM, SMC DA10-17 Fishy, AF201FG Flashy

screwdriver222

Link Posted 15/07/2017 - 12:07
I have just come back from Cornwall and the two panos I took each composed of 6 shots handheld came out OK when stitched using ICE.
Flickr link

JAK

Link Posted 15/07/2017 - 12:22
screwdriver222 wrote:
I have just come back from Cornwall and the two panos I took each composed of 6 shots handheld came out OK when stitched using ICE.

Going to show us having teased that?
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 15/07/2017 - 12:23

screwdriver222

Link Posted 16/07/2017 - 07:11
JAK wrote:
screwdriver222 wrote:

They are very big files, but I will be putting one on Flickr and will give a link. I must say they are very detailed at full res.
Flickr link

JAK

Link Posted 19/07/2017 - 10:48
screwdriver222 wrote:
JAK wrote:
Quote:

They are very big files, but I will be putting one on Flickr and will give a link. I must say they are very detailed at full res.

I appreciate they will be large files. However as far as this site is concerned, just reduce the image to 1000 pixels on its longest side (and if you don't, the site will) and then upload it. It will then no longer be a very large file but fine for web viewing. Flikr resizes files too.

The reason I'm curious is that I tried ICE but found the alignments and matching poor. Photoshop Elements seems to do a much better job, for me at least. I was wondering if it was me or ICE that was the problem!

That carriage photo was processed in Elements and its really hard, nigh on impossible, to see the join.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 19/07/2017 - 10:52

Algernon

Link Posted 19/07/2017 - 15:05
I've always found ICE to give poor results. For a free program Hugin is very good.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

JAK

Link Posted 19/07/2017 - 15:42
Hugin looks to be one of the best but appears quite complex to get the best out of it. The Elements one just seems to do it, balancing colour, exposure etc. and even fill in some of the gaps quite well sometimes. Mind, it can have it moments with some image combinations and do weird things!
John K

Algernon

Link Posted 19/07/2017 - 16:32
Hugin is simple to use, but is capable of a lot of complex stuff which is hidden such as measuring lens distortions.

PTGui is about the best but costs about £88
http://www.ptgui.com/

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

screwdriver222

Link Posted 22/07/2017 - 17:28
Here is the pano made up up 6 shots from a k-1, handheld, using a dfa 24-70 @ 50mm, f8 with corrections/processing done in LR6. Looking at the original at 100% I found there were some alignment errors. With ICE there is an alignment error through a car plus across some mooring lines. Creating a pano using LR6 and there was an error across a pair of boats and again across mooring lines. The one posted is from LR and the detail at 100% is amazing

Mousehole K1__4054-Pano.jpg by Jeffery Jacks, on Flickr.
I spent a couple hours processing and using spot removal tool to improve the alignment errors. There is probably a better way to do it.

100% crop. ICE showing alignment cut through car.

100% crop. LR6 showing alignment cut through boats.

Regards Jeff
Flickr link

McBrian

Link Posted 22/07/2017 - 19:08
I posted this 8 shot pano of Edinburgh in April.

link

you can download/view the full size jpg here...
http://mcbrian.uk/for_post/Edinburgh%20Pano%20Full%20Size.jpg
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Last Edited by McBrian on 22/07/2017 - 19:17

Spider-Man

Link Posted 16/12/2017 - 13:40
An alternative wide angle lens for huge Landscapes is the Sigma 8-16mm. Iííve used this on my K3 with some good results. Itís the widest orthogonal ( on fish eye) perspective lens you can get for APS C sensor cameras. It is also great for using close to your subjects to distort reality & warp space!
You can be very creative with this lens.
It's not the strongest species that survive, nor is it the most intelligent. It is those most adaptable to change.

Defragged

Link Posted 16/12/2017 - 20:13
I think the OP might be back from the country trip by now but I'll second the use if the Sigma 8-16, it is a stunning piece of equipment
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.