Which suits this best - B&W or Colour

LennyBloke

Link Posted 18/06/2020 - 20:16
Thanks for the additional comments guys
LennyBloke

HarisF1

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 00:20
pschlute wrote:
I am going to be honest here John, neither work for me I am afraid. They lack a focal point in my eyes....sorry

Interesting take - would this type of framing work for you if it were a painting? I agree about the lack of a real focal point, of course as the different trunks are vying for your attention. I'm still attracted to the image because I consider it more 'art' than photograph'. Would appreciate your thoughts!

johnha

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 09:23
I find it a poor (or really interesting) shot for this comparison. Both are effectively monochromatic (one colour), there's a bit of brown in the colour version but not enough to balance the green.

As mentioned above, I struggle without a focal point, but prefer the green version as very few foliage shots look better in black & white IMHO.
PPG Flickr

LennyBloke

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 10:48
THE ORIGINAL

This photo has drawn a great variety of comments so perhaps it would be good to show you the original (zero processing) and if anyone would like to have a bash at re-processing it you are more than welcome....

The comments are genuinely helpful, seeing an image from the point of view of another does make me think about my processing styles.
LennyBloke

pschlute

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 12:34
HarisF1 wrote:
pschlute wrote:
I am going to be honest here John, neither work for me I am afraid. They lack a focal point in my eyes....sorry

Interesting take - would this type of framing work for you if it were a painting? I agree about the lack of a real focal point, of course as the different trunks are vying for your attention. I'm still attracted to the image because I consider it more 'art' than photograph'. Would appreciate your thoughts!

I have produced many images myself that lack a focal point. An image that contains texture or colour or patterns (or a combination) can be very effective even if there is no identifiable subject. Like you I would consider those more "arty".

I just don't see anything like that in these. John is well aware how I highly regard his work. But just not these ones.
Peter

My Flickr page

HarisF1

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 12:45
Nicely put

MrB

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 13:51
pschlute wrote:

I have produced many images myself that lack a focal point. An image that contains texture or colour or patterns (or a combination) can be very effective even if there is no identifiable subject. Like you I would consider those more "arty".

Yes Peter. The "focal point", aka "centre of interest" or "somewhere for the eye (sic) to rest", is sometimes inappropriately quoted by photo judges as though it were an essential "rule" of photography, although there are of course many images for which it is irrelevant to the photographer's intentions.

Andreas Gursky might be just a bit poorer if his scenic photos had complied with this rule! Or perhaps not?

Philip
Last Edited by MrB on 19/06/2020 - 13:54

JAK

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 14:26
LennyBloke wrote:
THE ORIGINAL

This photo has drawn a great variety of comments so perhaps it would be good to show you the original (zero processing) and if anyone would like to have a bash at re-processing it you are more than welcome....

You've tempted me!

There's a symmetrical contrast between the tree trunks and the foxgloves.
John K

DOIK

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 15:05
And me

Flipped to give a bit of a diagonal and the trunks now keep you within the picture space
Edited in FastStone

John

LennyBloke

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 17:47
Nice edits John and John

Interesting how you've both gone for lighter images - all along I'd been seeing it a darker image, with just a touch of highlights being the main focus - but I can see the appeal of the brighter image route.

This is my alternative dark crop (with a lot more PP than I'm used to)...

LennyBloke

prsjnb

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 18:06
I'd have to say that I find the colour version unengaging, whereas the monochrome version actually caught my attention

Sry

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 20:27
I'll add my point of view: the colour one doesn't do much for me. I find the monochrome more mysterious, with its varying shades of grey and the brightness of the center trunk being progressively swallowed into the blackness of the edges - a slightly unreal take on reality, which is something I really enjoy in photography, and often strive for in my own.

Edit: I downloaded the original to have a go at it, and that brought to my attention your keen eye; you managed to crop a decent composition out of it, whereas I would have chucked it out after a few seconds' pondering... So definitely a great postprocessing job on your part! (so I gave up on trying my luck )
Last Edited by Sry on 19/06/2020 - 20:35
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.