Which legacy lenses for K1?

sebas77

Link Posted 31/01/2017 - 14:18
I was going to open a new thread with a similar topic. I am too interested to know which lenses work best with the k1, but not limited to the legacy ones only. So far I have my eyes on:

Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical
Sigma EX DG 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 Lens
Tokina 17mm F/3.5

Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6

Anyone have tried the legacy ones I have listed?
Last Edited by sebas77 on 31/01/2017 - 14:19

JAK

Link Posted 01/02/2017 - 16:34
None of those, sorry!
Most, or should that be all, of the old legacy film lenses will work with the K-1. Obviously results will vary so you need to define 'best'. One lens may produce an effect the photographer likes whereas someone else thinks otherwise. An APS-C example of this is the Sigma 10-20 where some love its natural vignetting, others do not.
Then are you looking for ultra-wide, wide, normal, telephoto, long telephoto? Prime or zoom?
For starters though I'll suggest the three FA limiteds, 31mm, 43mm, 77mm (or even the DA70mm)
Any of the FA or DFA macro lenses; 50mm, 100mm are useful to have, not just for macro.
A fast 50mm prime, the FF standard lens.
Then do you want to experiment with the old manual focus lenses of the 1970's and 1980's?
They'll all work and provide fun for some to experiment with, others will just get the new DFAs and be done with it.
So you see, to answer your question as posed is a bit difficult! On top of that there is no guarantee you'll easily find a copy of great old lenses as you can't always order a new one.
Another thought to add is that some APS-C lenses are more than usable in full frame mode if you are prepared to tolerate some edge cut-off or vignetting. Several such as the DA35 and DA50 work superbly well in FF mode; two bargains for sure.
The main issue with older glass seems to be that chromatic aberration is more likely to be noticed as the lenses are designed to focus onto film rather than a sensor and pixel peeping is more likely to take place than on a 35mm print or slide so issues get noticed when they were insignificant before. Having said that, the effect of this is less marked with full frame compared to APS-C as in effect the smaller sensor is causing the image to be magnified/cropped in camera. Whether this is an issue or not depends on the user.
As to legacy zoom lenses, some of the old Pentax zooms remain really good to use but some of the cheaper consumer 'kit lens' zooms are not. Do some research and you'll be OK.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 01/02/2017 - 16:56

K10D

Link Posted 01/02/2017 - 18:28
I've been using the SMC Pentax-FA J 18-35mm F4-5.6 AL on the K-1 at motorcycle shows. It's a sharp little zoom with a plastic mount. Bought it in Oz at a Pentax dealer who was selling new, old lenses off for less than the price of a large take away pizza.

Ratings are varied but positive. I've had no one complain about IQ with it, so far.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

sebas77

Link Posted 01/02/2017 - 18:52
Thank you for your suggestions! However I was looking for something more practical, with real tests made on the k1. I am not sure what I'll buy yet, but I have already got the 50 fa 1.4 the vivitar 1 105mm macro (a blade) the fa 80-320 and a 28mm pentax A. I'll very likely buy the 28-105 as all arounder and I need an ultra wide angle, even fixed and with manual focus. I believe I'll use the k1 more for landscapes and street photography, while I'll probably stick with the k5 for portraits with the sigma 50-150.

About the 18-35, I think I will probably stick with primes for that range. I mentioned the two zooms above because they seem to be quite good for the price.
Last Edited by sebas77 on 01/02/2017 - 18:59

JAK

Link Posted 01/02/2017 - 19:59
Quote:
However I was looking for something more practical, with real tests made on the k1

Are you aware of the lens tests on the US Pentax forum? They have a dedicated space for user reviews/comments on most of the old Pentax lenses whereas that facility isn't available here.
e.g. https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-28-75mm-f2-8-af-xr-di-ld-macro-s...

You have to remember that the K-1 is still a premium product where the buyers will mainly go for the new dedicated DFA lenses so suspect not many will have those older lenses to test and then come here to write a review on them as there isn't a dedicated space to write it.

By all means everyone, I'll happily be proved wrong!
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 01/02/2017 - 20:00

sebas77

Link Posted 01/02/2017 - 21:49
When you say premium you mean for professionals? It's still a hobby for me, but I decided to buy it anyway

JAK

Link Posted 01/02/2017 - 22:20
Yes, me too. They're not cheap though, are they? Any camera over 1500 isn't exactly a consumer model (so my insurance company tells me!) I just consider a professional to be someone who makes a living from photography, not what camera they use, and some of them wouldn't spend that much on kit.
By premium I mean expensive and if someone's new to the system the lenses they'll find at the dealers will be the DFA's, normally not the third party offerings.
(Same as when a Canikon user buys his camera and gets the Canikon lenses to go with it.)
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 01/02/2017 - 22:24

sebas77

Link Posted 01/02/2017 - 22:52
I understand. I am not currently willing to spend thousands of pounds a year if I can't make any money out of it and unluckily the only affordable fda is the 28-105 which looks great anyway. Imo the real bad news is that the third party brands have abandoned pentax and the fact that the market is now quite small resulting in virtually none second hand offers. Still the k1 seems like a lot of fun, but I had it for not enough days to have a complete opinion

JAK

Link Posted 01/02/2017 - 23:40
The DFA 28-105 you mention is a good all round general purpose lens for the K-1, nothing really wrong with it at all and no dearer than many third party lenses. The FA24-90 makes a good runner up to it at less cost if you can track one down.
The other DFA lenses that cover the basic range are the15-30, 24-70, 70-200. They too are fine lenses but not cheap. If new ones are too dear just wait for a second hand one to turn up?
For less costly options, rather than ask about specific lenses which others haven't got for use with the K-1, why not ask what others actually use?
Alternatives to the 15-30 are the FAJ18-35 (an OK lens for what it costs and does) at a fraction of the price and/or a Samyang 14mm f/2,8 prime (an excellent lens) or wider still, the Samyang 12mm fish-eye (also a sharp lens.) The Sigma 17-35 you mention also covers this range but I've not seen one to try and reviews suggest it doesn't impress (Tamron do a 17-35 too.)
There's plenty of alternatives to the 24-70 such as the Pentax's mentioned above, offerings from Sigma and others. I think you'd be better off with one of the Pentax's rather than the Tamron 28-75 you mentioned (but I haven't seen the Tamron let alone try one.) I suppose it depends how important f/2.8 is to you. The DFA 28-105 would be a good lens to start off with if cost is an issue.
The Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 does make a good alternative to the new Pentax one but it isn't weather sealed. There's also a Sigma that covers this range but now discontinued and hard to find.
That seems to cover the range you queried. The lenses I've suggested I have tried/own unless I've said otherwise but I can't really comment on a lens I've never seen and lack of comments here suggests others haven't either! Therefore for reviews you'll need to look at the reviews on a number of sites with the help of Google, possibly even having to read about the lens tested on a non Pentax camera (are there other camera brands!??)
John K

JAK

Link Posted 01/02/2017 - 23:47
K10D wrote:
I've been using the SMC Pentax-FA J 18-35mm F4-5.6 AL on the K-1 at motorcycle shows. It's a sharp little zoom with a plastic mount. Bought it in Oz at a Pentax dealer who was selling new, old lenses off for less than the price of a large take away pizza.

Ratings are varied but positive. I've had no one complain about IQ with it, so far.

Best regards

The amazing thing about that one is how small it is and how little it weighs. Then compare it to the 15-30 brick! The brick maybe optically better but there's nothing wrong with titch. One's more likely to have titch in the gadget bag than the brick because of the weight. 203 grams compared to 1040 grams
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 01/02/2017 - 23:51

K10D

Link Posted 02/02/2017 - 10:14
JAK wrote:

The amazing thing about that one is how small it is and how little it weighs. Then compare it to the 15-30 brick! The brick maybe optically better but there's nothing wrong with titch. One's more likely to have titch in the gadget bag than the brick because of the weight. 203 grams compared to 1040 grams

My main reason of using it is not weight, it's the widest non fisheye Pentax zoom I have. I use a 14-24mm f/2.8 on another system. I've tried the 17-28mm Pentax FE on the K-1 for bike shows and it's good as long as I watch the focal length, else too much distortion at the wide end.

The 15-30mm is of no use to me as I have it covered between the 14-24mm and a 16-35mm f/4.

For bike shows, in general, the K-1 and Z are severe overkill as far as resolution go. I generally use a K5-IIs, K3 and a D700 as my base kit. Lenses are 10-20mm Sigy, 16-50mm Pentax and 16-35mm Nikkor on the Nikon. The Nikon is a must take as far as flash photography goes.

I'll be using the K-1 again this weekend at the Bristol Show link, probably for the last time at an indoor bike show. I'm also going to try the SMC 15mm f/3.5 on it.

Once summer arrives and the shows are outdoors with the decent light and weather that we always get in the summer.....I'll use the K-1 again with a couple of Ltd's, mainly the 31mm and 43mm.

Of the legacy lenses I've tried so far on the K-1, I have been pleased with the results. The odd purple fringe on edge/skylight shots is easily removed.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

felix

Link Posted 17/02/2017 - 03:41
I use the following lenses on the k1:

FA31/F1.8 Limited
FA43/F1.9 Limited
FA77/1,8 Limted
K85/1.8
K50/1.4
A50/1.2
Sears 135/2.8
FA*200/2.8

These legacy lenses work very well with the K1.
K1/K3, DA*16-50mm F2.8, FA 31mm F1.8, FA43mm F1.9 Limited, FA77mm F1.8 Limited, SMC Pentax K 85mm F1.8, DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6, FA*28-70mm F1.8, FA*200mm F1.8

nocturnal

Link Posted 21/02/2017 - 05:42
McGregNi wrote:
Why is the Pentax 15mm superior in every way for daytime shooting? I think that would be very difficult to argue, even on a theoretical level. Of course you may have practical experience to explain it more .... ? I would have thought that a more realistic view would suggest there are a range of pros and cons for both lenses?

Sorry for the delay,

The HD DA15 is superior into the sun, is comparatively tiny and light, beautifully sun-bursts, virtually zero glare, superior colours, doesn't blow the highlights as much, takes filters and the small Hi-tech 67 system without vignetting, superior microcontrast and colour contrast, superior rendering, virtually zero distortion,has auto-focus and is great with close ups too.

It just is a superb lens and you can crop 10 photos from one image and they still look great. You could spend hours of fun pixel peeping even if you are opposed to such practice. The photos also require little processing so less time on the computer too.

As a mountain photographer and hiker I trailed the Samyang over the Mourne mountains several times whilst knowing I needed the DA15 and I'm glad I did, as true of the Samyang for astro as I was able to photograph the Milky Way albeit faintly from the suburbs of light polluted Belfast. The lack of coma is the other reason why the Samyang 14mm is suitable for astro.

I'm hardly knocking the Samyang and I've a good copy...

[link=http:// https://www.pentaxuser.com/photo/milky-way-over-mt-teide--tenerife-95921/large]link[/link]

Hope this helps
"In a photographic context I don't like the use of the word 'shot' as where I live this word refers to an extreme act of violence and not the beautiful craft of photography"
Last Edited by nocturnal on 21/02/2017 - 06:09

RobL

Link Posted 21/02/2017 - 08:20
Samyang lenses seem to come out ok on this thread which is encouraging as I have had the 24mm tilt-shift lens in my sights for a while. Also STIILL awaiting the promised new FF prime lenses before buying any more Pentax, if nothing else they should push prices down on the older versions.

JAK

Link Posted 21/02/2017 - 10:14
nocturnal wrote:
McGregNi wrote:
Why is the Pentax 15mm superior in every way for daytime shooting? I think that would be very difficult to argue, even on a theoretical level. Of course you may have practical experience to explain it more .... ? I would have thought that a more realistic view would suggest there are a range of pros and cons for both lenses?

Sorry for the delay,

The HD DA15 is superior into the sun, is comparatively tiny and light, beautifully sun-bursts, virtually zero glare, superior colours, doesn't blow the highlights as much, takes filters and the small Hi-tech 67 system without vignetting, superior microcontrast and colour contrast, superior rendering, virtually zero distortion,has auto-focus and is great with close ups too.

It just is a superb lens and you can crop 10 photos from one image and they still look great. You could spend hours of fun pixel peeping even if you are opposed to such practice. The photos also require little processing so less time on the computer too.

As a mountain photographer and hiker I trailed the Samyang over the Mourne mountains several times whilst knowing I needed the DA15 and I'm glad I did, as true of the Samyang for astro as I was able to photograph the Milky Way albeit faintly from the suburbs of light polluted Belfast. The lack of coma is the other reason why the Samyang 14mm is suitable for astro.

I'm hardly knocking the Samyang and I've a good copy...

[link=http:// https://www.pentaxuser.com/photo/milky-way-over-mt-teide--tenerife-95921/large]link[/link]

Hope this helps

Given this thread is about lenses for the K-1 the DA 15mm doesn't meet the criteria for full frame use whereas the Samyang 14mm does. However the SMC Pentax 15mm F3.5 dating from the 1970's is another matter. Wouldn't that make a fairer comparison to the Samyang?
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 21/02/2017 - 10:15
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.