Where for Sunderland Air Show?

Blythman

Link Posted 24/07/2014 - 13:51
Might just finally get the chance to do Sunderland Air Show this year.

Be grateful for any pointers for someone who is not used to crossing to the dark side

Which locations would you recommend, and which Metro stop to get off.

I presume I'd be wasting my time with the car, or could I perhaps drive to South Shields and get public transport from there?
Alan

PPG
Flickr

fritzthedog

Link Posted 24/07/2014 - 19:45
Best location for me Alan is to go down to the prom below the lighthouse almost round to the point and avoid the 'cliff top' and grassland which gets absolutely packed - could not move up there last year.

As for Metro stop - pass - I drive and have never had an issue - but I do tend to get there about 10am - 3 hours before the show really kicks off but usually plenty tp photograph. They open up a big field behind Morrisons supermarket on the front as a car park - about 6 for the day if I remember correctly. Or if you don't fancy that - several park and ride car parks open up on the outskirts.

Fancy a meet?

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Blythman

Link Posted 25/07/2014 - 09:57
Thanks for the info Carl - much appreciated

Sounds like a plan, if we can both make it the same day. Got a couple of things to sort today before I know if and when I can get
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Blythman

Link Posted 25/07/2014 - 15:27
Hi Carl

Which day can you make it?
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Blythman

Link Posted 25/07/2014 - 17:06
Blythman wrote:
Hi Carl

Looking like Saturday is my best chance
Alan

PPG
Flickr

fritzthedog

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 09:32
Blythman wrote:
Blythman wrote:
Hi Carl

Looking like Saturday is my best chance

Sorry Alan - work got in the way - didn't finish until gone 11pm and am going to have to work today as well - I usually go on the Saturday but will have to try for tomorrow now.

Shame - would have been good to meet up. Good luck

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Blythman

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 10:14
I've got my spot. Where you said. Might have been stung for parking though. 15
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Mike-P

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 20:49
Looking forward to some photos then Alan.

Just this minute got in from the Yeovilton air show ... left at 6am.
Apart from a little spell of cloud it was absolutely roasting.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Blythman

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 21:21
Mike-P wrote:
Looking forward to some photos then Alan.

Just this minute got in from the Yeovilton air show ... left at 6am.
Apart from a little spell of cloud it was absolutely roasting.

First time I've done one of these Mike, just to dampen expectations. Thank you for the tutorial though. I spent an hour browsing exif data on your flickr last night
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Mike-P

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 21:42
Blythman wrote:
Thank you for the tutorial though. I spent an hour browsing exif data on your flickr last night

No excuses then, I'm sure they will be great

I wondered why we had no Red Arrows, Typhoon or Vampire at Yeovilton ... they were all at yours

Did you take the 560mm? Dying to see what that's like on the fast jets.
Last Edited by Mike-P on 26/07/2014 - 21:51

Blythman

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 23:34
Yep, we had them Mike. Unfortunately the Typhoon was first up. Could have started with something slower.

Was looking forward to the Hawker Hunter but that ended up being grounded

Had the 560 on a tripod, the 150-500, and 18-135. I can see why you like the 50-500 for this sort of thing. Much more flexible than the 150-500

The 560 wasn't used on the Typhoon or the Red Arrows
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Last Edited by Blythman on 26/07/2014 - 23:35

K10D

Link Posted 27/07/2014 - 01:51
Blythman wrote:
Had the 560 on a tripod,

I have mental images of you panning through a low pass shouting "heads" as the end of the 560 swiftly passes peoples heads who by now are crouching and thinking $#!*, incoming......

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

Blythman

Link Posted 27/07/2014 - 08:24
K10D wrote:
Blythman wrote:
Had the 560 on a tripod,

I have mental images of you panning through a low pass shouting "heads" as the end of the 560 swiftly passes peoples heads who by now are crouching and thinking $#!*, incoming......

Best regards

Couple of occasions I had people say "Do you mind if I take a photograph of your lens". Funny, that was all they asked. Not what is it, or can I have a close look, or a look through.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

bforbes

Link Posted 27/07/2014 - 20:03
Cutting hedges at our daughters today saw the typhoon, bbmf, and the Dakotas. Up a ladder with no camera:'( but the sound of those engines. Oooh
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

Mike-P

Link Posted 27/07/2014 - 20:24
Blythman wrote:
Couple of occasions I had people say "Do you mind if I take a photograph of your lens". Funny, that was all they asked. Not what is it, or can I have a close look, or a look through.

I had some guy ask me all about the 7D and 300mm f2.8 with 2x converter. I let him hold it (must be about 4kg in total) and he held it up and said "it's a bit heavy to be following planes, especially with that small screen" ... I had to explain to him that he was supposed to use the viewfinder. When I took it back off him I held it up to my eye to find I had no AF, the shutter speed was all wrong and I was in totally the wrong shooting mode.

Never again
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.