Whats this then? A new Vivitar series 1 lens. (85mm f1.4)

Mike-P

Link Posted 04/03/2009 - 22:43
85mm f1.4 manual focus Vivitar Series 1.

New one on me
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 04/03/2009 - 23:12
New one on me too.
Best regards, John

hefty1

Link Posted 05/03/2009 - 00:41
I think I've seen it but not badged as a Vivitar. This Bower has been popping up in my searches a lot in the last couple of months: Link

Don't know if it's any good or not though
Joining the Q

shim

Link Posted 05/03/2009 - 09:34
I think Bower are just a retail/wholesale setup in New York who do mostly converter lenses, probably all re-badged from Japan. The Bower lens hefty linked to just looks like a re-badge, but the Vivitar has the same lettering as some of the Bower stuff at the bottom of this page

Vivitar are now owned by Sakar and are releasing stuff under the Vivitar Brand link probably just rebrands. There was some crap put out under the old Series 1 I've got a 28-105mm zoom that's not very good and won't focus beyond about 50ft, paid quite a lot for it new about 1990.

shim

edumad

Link Posted 05/03/2009 - 10:00
Hmm I thought I had seen this before...
TWAPSI Blog

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/03/2009 - 11:16
shim wrote:
There was some crap put out under the old Series 1 I've got a 28-105mm zoom that's not very good and won't focus beyond about 50ft, paid quite a lot for it new about 1990.

shim

But then there was also the 70-210mm and the 105mm f2.5 macro which are absolutely superb and still hold their own today.

Im pretty sure Vivitar bought out the Series One range twice, the first time being very good and the second total rubbish.

bforbes

Link Posted 05/03/2009 - 19:37
shim wrote:
There was some crap put out under the old Series 1 I've got a 28-105mm zoom that's not very good and won't focus beyond about 50ft, paid quite a lot for it new about 1990.

shim

Iím pleased to say I have a good Series 1 28-105. From bits Iíve read there were three versions, two with 67mm filter thread and one with 72mm. Apparently the best is 67mm with shinny finish and Vivitar Series 1 embossed on the rubber focus grip. Lucky Me
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

Mongoose

Link Posted 05/03/2009 - 20:02
The original Vivitar Series 1 lenses were really good and most were something unusual (at least for the time). Then later they started just trying to capitalise on the reputation without actually doing anything clever.

Didn't Vivitar as a company go under a while back? perhaps someone has bought the name, although why you'd want it escapes me.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Mongoose

Link Posted 05/03/2009 - 20:04
I always mistrust ebay listings which get their facts wrong.

This lens is NOT fully compatible with automated features on DSLRs, lacking as it does an A setting on its aperture ring.

It's stop down metering only.

Also, "constant F1.4 aperture" WTF? it's a PRIME, constant over WHAT exactly? focus travel???
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
Last Edited by Mongoose on 05/03/2009 - 20:05

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/03/2009 - 20:32
Mongoose wrote:

This lens is NOT fully compatible with automated features on DSLRs, lacking as it does an A setting on its aperture ring.

It's stop down metering only.

They make them for other makes of camera, looking at the rear of the one pictured is that a Pentax mount or is it Nikon? (In which case it wouldnt have the A setting.

shim

Link Posted 05/03/2009 - 21:05
bforbes wrote:
shim wrote:

shim

Iím pleased to say I have a good Series 1 28-105. From bits Iíve read there were three versions, two with 67mm filter thread and one with 72mm. Apparently the best is 67mm with shinny finish and Vivitar Series 1 embossed on the rubber focus grip. Lucky Me

Your's sounds the same as mine. It's also out by about 2 stops on exposure no matter what camera I try it on. It is quite sharp at f/8 and f/11 better than a Tamron AF 35-90 f/4-5.6 I've got at least at the 90mm mark. Never used it much because of the focus/exposure problem. Certainly nowhere near Prime lens quality.

shim

loskeran

Link Posted 05/03/2009 - 21:18
Mike-P wrote:
shim wrote:

shim

But then there was also the 70-210mm and the 105mm f2.5 macro which are absolutely superb and still hold their own today.

Im pretty sure Vivitar bought out the Series One range twice, the first time being very good and the second total rubbish.

I have one of the 70-210mm Series 1ís, it is the f 2.8-4 KA mount,third version by Komine and regarded as the best version.(6 versions in all)
Sadly I donít use it now , just sits in my lens draw.

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/03/2009 - 21:41
loskeran wrote:

I have one of the 70-210mm Series 1ís, it is the f 2.8-4 KA mount,third version by Komine and regarded as the best version.(6 versions in all)

I have the same lens stuck in my draw back in the UK.
It has a sticky iris so is pretty useless atm but I will hopefully get it sorted when I return as its an excellent lens.

loskeran

Link Posted 06/03/2009 - 07:33
Mike-P wrote:
loskeran wrote:

I have the same lens stuck in my draw back in the UK.
It has a sticky iris so is pretty useless atm but I will hopefully get it sorted when I return as its an excellent lens.

My version is about 100%, solid, smooth zoom and perfect glass just like it was about 2 years old not 30+.

bretbysteve

Link Posted 06/03/2009 - 09:26
Hi,

Both the ebay listings, for both the Vivitar and the Bower (PK fit) are showing photos of the Nikon fit version...you can see the double row of aperture numbers and the tab on the outside of the mount....a case of quite normal ebay seller incompetance.

The B&H page shows the Pentax version of the Vivitar clearly and it DOES have the 'A' setting....so it is a PKA mount.

cheers Steve.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.