What's your latest acquisition?

davidwozhere

Link Posted 19/12/2021 - 01:36
Barrie. I've never had a problem with it. Likewise the Meyer 135 that has a near identical fitting. I've used both for years and never had a problem. I just put one of my 200mm Meyers on the K5 for you and shot a view across the study lit by a very bright desk lamp. It's high ISO too so any leakage ought to show up. There is none. Examining the fitting, the adapter holes are visible but there is a bit of a flange at the back of the lens next to the M42 thread that partially covers them so maybe that is sufficient.

The entire frame, as shot - ISO 800/ f4

Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

womble

Link Posted 19/12/2021 - 07:32
cardiffgareth wrote:
Although I haven't paid for it yet, I have here a MZ-S with battery grip.

Can't play with it for 3 days as its in isolation. My buddy who owns it has Covid and we exchanged carrier bags on his doorstep when I dropped down some vitamins and other stuff to him to help aid some of the Covid symptoms.

By the time it passes quarantine and I can anti-bac it and polish it up, my films will be here I ordered I can shoot a roll through it.

Love to know how you get on. I've never tried one but am very curious.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

bforbes

Link Posted 19/12/2021 - 21:53
davidwozhere wrote:
Barrie. I've never had a problem with it. Likewise the Meyer 135 that has a near identical fitting. I've used both for years and never had a problem. I just put one of my 200mm Meyers on the K5 for you and shot a view across the study lit by a very bright desk lamp. It's high ISO too so any leakage ought to show up. There is none. Examining the fitting, the adapter holes are visible but there is a bit of a flange at the back of the lens next to the M42 thread that partially covers them so maybe that is sufficient.

The entire frame, as shot - ISO 800/ f4

That's reassuring, Thanks David
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

davidwozhere

Link Posted 19/12/2021 - 23:37
A simple fix I once used on a Tamron Twin Tele 135 (that does let light in through the adapter holes) was to cut out a thin card washer with a 42mm hole and about 7mm wide. This covered the holes and also seated the lens quite well.

bforbes

Link Posted 20/12/2021 - 22:18
davidwozhere wrote:
A simple fix I once used on a Tamron Twin Tele 135 (that does let light in through the adapter holes) was to cut out a thin card washer with a 42mm hole and about 7mm wide. This covered the holes and also seated the lens quite well.

The lens has arrived and in practical terms I can't see any light leaks in the test images. But if you shine a torch into the uncovered holes you can see light in the view finder.
Would your Tamron solution not mean a shift in the focal plane, affecting infinity focus?
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

davidwozhere

Link Posted 21/12/2021 - 00:39
I'd stick it on the camera first and see what happens - nothing, hopefully. I can't see a bit of thin card making that much difference to the registration distance.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 21/12/2021 - 09:53
cardiffgareth wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Quote:
Although I haven't paid for it yet, I have here a MZ-S with battery grip.

Can't play with it for 3 days as its in isolation. My buddy who owns it has Covid and we exchanged carrier bags on his doorstep when I dropped down some vitamins and other stuff to him to help aid some of the Covid symptoms.

By the time it passes quarantine and I can anti-bac it and polish it up, my films will be here I ordered I can shoot a roll through it.

Very nice. Hope it doesn't have the mirror return cog problem.

What is this and how do I check for it please!

A plastic cog in the mirror return mechanism becomes brittle with time and shatters, leaving the mirror stuck in position. It's a very common problem across the entire MZ series of cameras, including even the top-tier MZ-S. I had thought it only affected the lower models in the series but found out not long ago that it's also in the S, though I understand that in later MZ-Ss it was later changed to a metal cog.

This breakage has happened to almost every MZ camera I've ever used so I've given up on them and only buy earlier AF models.

I'll add that while replacement cogs are available (I bought some online from a company in Poland) it's an extremely difficult repair to make as the entire camera needs to be dis-assembled to get to the cog which is right in the centre. I took apart an MZ-5N and changed the cog but putting the camera back together again was impossible.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 21/12/2021 - 09:57

bforbes

Link Posted 22/12/2021 - 21:51
A Ricoh Singlex with Rikenon 55mm f1.4. God knows why it has a Nikon F mount
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

womble

Link Posted 22/12/2021 - 22:11
A Ricoh XR-X with a focus problem and a SMC Pentax "K" 28mm f/2 lens which I've not had the chance to try yet. I've almost completed my set of K-series primes.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 23/12/2021 - 09:40
bforbes wrote:

The Singlex has an F mount???

womble wrote:
A Ricoh XR-X with a focus problem and a SMC Pentax "K" 28mm f/2 lens which I've not had the chance to try yet. I've almost completed my set of K-series primes.

Glad to see you got a hold of the K 28mm, I think you'll love it. What's the focus problem with the XR-X?
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

bforbes

Link Posted 23/12/2021 - 10:43
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
bforbes wrote:

I gather so. Also M42, but I don't know which came first. It's the Lens I was after, but could not find a suitable M42 model. I've an adapter coming for the Fuji system
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

bforbes

Link Posted 23/12/2021 - 14:47
bforbes wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Quote:

I gather so. Also M42, but I don't know which came first. It's the Lens I was after, but could not find a suitable M42 model. I've an adapter coming for the Fuji system

Nikon F'ish, had to file down one of the bayonet lugs a bit. But all is good now
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

womble

Link Posted 23/12/2021 - 16:10
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
What's the focus problem with the XR-X?

Focus on something c. 3m away, check the scale on the lens and it'll say 10m. Try to focus on something further away and it'll want you to go past infinity.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 23/12/2021 - 22:03
Well my friend doesn't want to sell his MZ-S, even though he got it from his shed when I went to get it and also said the last time he put a roll of film through it was circa 12 years ago! Such a shame but you can't force anyone to sell anything they don't want to.

So I've bought 2 x Z-1P! Seller had a pair with lenses that are scrap which doesn't bother me as I'll put my lenses on them. Bargain at £50 the pair. I'll have one with colour and the other with black and white film!
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

womble

Link Posted 24/12/2021 - 08:39
cardiffgareth wrote:
Well my friend doesn't want to sell his MZ-S, even though he got it from his shed when I went to get it and also said the last time he put a roll of film through it was circa 12 years ago! Such a shame but you can't force anyone to sell anything they don't want to.

So I've bought 2 x Z-1P! Seller had a pair with lenses that are scrap which doesn't bother me as I'll put my lenses on them. Bargain at £50 the pair. I'll have one with colour and the other with black and white film!

Nice. Not many Z1-Ps on the market. Shame about the MZ-S.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.