What's your latest acquisition?

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 27/02/2021 - 07:47
womble wrote:
womble wrote:
Quote:
womble wrote:
I do have a K500 winging its way to a friend in Ohio, but who knows when I'll get there to collect it...

Do you mean a K series 500mm lens or a K500 DSLR?

K series 500mm lens.

Well it made it to Ohio...

New toy par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

I know the feeling. I have quite a few things waiting for me at my parents' house in Edinburgh. Now with Brexit I have to be careful what they send over in order not to get lumbered with extra charges when it arrives in Spain.

Something I got a couple of days ago - a very nice M42 set consisting of an ES and 35mm, 55mm and 135mm Takumars, all in close to mint condition and for just €40. The ES case is in lovely condition too.

Pentax ES plus Takumars 35/3.5, 55/2 & 135/3.5
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 27/02/2021 - 07:47

womble

Link Posted 28/02/2021 - 10:38
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Something I got a couple of days ago - a very nice M42 set consisting of an ES and 35mm, 55mm and 135mm Takumars, all in close to mint condition and for just €40. The ES case is in lovely condition too.

Lovely. I'm very fond of my ES. I must get around to changing the light seals. I bought a kit last year and still haven't done it.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Last Edited by womble on 28/02/2021 - 10:38

womble

Link Posted 28/02/2021 - 12:18
Back from its service, loaded with Tri-X and ready to roll...

Zeiss Super Ikonta (1) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

vic cross

Link Posted 28/02/2021 - 12:40
All your old stuff very nice. I've just indulged myself with a nice new K1Mk2 silver one from SRS. It arrives hopefully on Tuesday 02/03/2021.
Oh happy day. Until my wife finds out. Just joking.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

johnriley

Link Posted 28/02/2021 - 16:09
Very nice too Vic! At that price, it must be the bargain of the decade for a full frame DSLR. Have fun!
Best regards, John

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 01/03/2021 - 10:05
womble wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

Lovely. I'm very fond of my ES. I must get around to changing the light seals. I bought a kit last year and still haven't done it.

Unfortunately I've found that the mirror and aperture lever stick a lot in this ES. The shutter moves fine, but after most shots the mirror stays stuck up and the aperture remains at what is set on the ring. I've already changed the mirror bumper so it's not that.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital

womble

Link Posted 01/03/2021 - 10:10
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
womble wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately I've found that the mirror and aperture lever stick a lot in this ES. The shutter moves fine, but after most shots the mirror stays stuck up and the aperture remains at what is set on the ring. I've already changed the mirror bumper so it's not that.

At least that sounds mechanical and thus probably repairable. Sadly, if the electronics go that's pretty much all she wrote. (Although, if I remember correctly, the manual speeds are all purely mechanical, but they are quite a limited range.)
Kris Lockyear

My website

Crossed-up

Link Posted 01/03/2021 - 21:22
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
womble wrote:
Quote:

Not sure if this helps. The article suggest the problem may relate to a sticky cog requiring a clean and lube:

link
My Images
Gripped K3's|DA10-17|DA*16-50|DA*50-135|DA*200|DA*300|Sigma 150-500

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 02/03/2021 - 12:42
Crossed-up wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Quote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

Not sure if this helps. The article suggest the problem may relate to a sticky cog requiring a clean and lube:

link

Many thanks, that looks like a repair that isn't too difficult, no need to delve too deeply into the innards.

Yes, the manual speeds are mechanical - 1/1000s to 1/60s in the standard increments, which is all I'd use on it anyway. I haven't tried it with a battery yet so no idea how the electronics are, but the battery compartment is nice and clean so I imagine it belonged to one of the few people who heeded the advice not to leave a battery in when the camera is not used for a time.

womble

Link Posted 02/03/2021 - 14:41
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Yes, the manual speeds are mechanical - 1/1000s to 1/60s in the standard increments, which is all I'd use on it anyway. I haven't tried it with a battery yet so no idea how the electronics are, but the battery compartment is nice and clean so I imagine it belonged to one of the few people who heeded the advice not to leave a battery in when the camera is not used for a time.

The automatic exposure is pretty good. I usually use it on mine with exp.comp when necessary. I tend not to use manual as it is unmetered, so I'd have to have my handheld meter with me. (I'm hopeless at sunny 16 before someone suggests it.)

Has anyone else backed the Reveni labs kickstarter for a spot meter? I've long wanted a digital Pentax one, but they are pricey and don't come-up too often.
Kris Lockyear

My website

davidstorm

Link Posted 04/03/2021 - 23:08
Hi All

As you might have seen recently, I've been on the lookout for full frame lenses that are good on a K-1. As I'm actively buying, restoring and selling used Pentax equipment (for my living, filling in time and earning a crust until myself and the missus can get to our house in Corfu), I am in the fortunate position of being able to buy and try a huge range of different lenses. The current objective is to find some reasonably priced AF zooms in the 70 to 300 range. So far, I've foud a few gems at not very much money:

1. Pentax-FA 80-320mm (black version) for less than £30. Great lens, my copy is particularly sharp at the 320mm end, but is good across the focal range. In my experience, this lens is as good, if not better than the Pentax 55-300, of which I've owned and extensively used both the original version and the HD version.

2. Sigma DL 100-300mm f4.5-6.7 for less than £10. Another good 'un, not quite as sharp as the 80-320, but not far behind. Very light and portable, complete with original hood and in mint condition. Very nice colour rendering on this lens and it mates extremely well as a travel kit with the Sigma 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 macro focusing zoom that I also have, this was also under £10 in mint condition and is an absolute steal, even if you paid 3 or 4 times what I did. It has 1:2 macro capability!

3. Tamron LD Di 70-300mm for less than £30, in mint condition. This is the sharpest of the bunch and extremely contrasty too. Focus accuracy is unbelievably good. The only downside with this lens is its tendency to purple fringing on high contrast subjects, but this is usually not a major issue.

Would be interested to hear opinions from others on what they have in this focal range, please don't mention expensive lenses as I can't afford them!

Regards
David
Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

davidwozhere

Link Posted 05/03/2021 - 00:55
Most of the Soligors are superb. In fact, my very best 300mm is a Soligor (excluding the * versions). It's well up to the standard of any Pentax but is, of course, manual. The Tamron 28-200 zoom is very good (model A03) and also comes in a rebadged Pentax version. It always goes on holiday with me.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

davidwozhere

Link Posted 09/03/2021 - 00:02
I now have what some consider to be a 'hen's tooth'. An SMC Pentax reflex zoom 1:8~12, 400~600mm, AKA a mirror lens.
Not many of these were made and certainly not to this quality and with a zoom facility! Since I love old glass this was
quite irresistible. In terms of size, it's like a beefed up Tamron 500 and about the same weight. From what I have seen
so far its performance is wonderful.

It came in its purpose made case that contains a selection of filters in the case lid. It always has one filter fitted
inside the rear mount - normally a clear one. The others are red, yellow, 3 x ND filters and a skylight, all of
which are of exceptionally high quality. The 67mm hood sits inverted at the bottom with the lens inside it.

I haven't used it much at all because I immediately realised that the front element (being right at the front) is
highly vulnerable so after an initial play it went back in its case to await a 67mm protective plain filter.
My standard test is the washing line pole. This is a length of 3inch gas pipe with a screw stopper that was salvaged
from a local factory years ago. The screw thread, a profusion of knotted washing line and the presence of an
embossed letter 'P' make it an ideal target. It is about 120 feet away from the kitchen door with dense trees
another 200 feet or so beyond it.

Few lenses can pick out the 'P': among them are the FA*300, Tamron 500 and Soligor 300.
This Pentax mirror lens, at 400mm, didn't just pass the test; it ran coach and horses straight through it !
I forgot there was also a zoom facility up to 600mm and so failed to try it.

At 400mm exactly as it came out of the camera.

and a 100mm crop showing the detail.

It really surprised me when I pointed it at the unseasonably early bluebells - and pinkbells ....

I think I am going to enjoy this one.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Defragged

Link Posted 09/03/2021 - 08:53
davidwozhere wrote:

I think I am going to enjoy this one.

I think you just might too!

A stellar find and good fortune was with you. Enjoy
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 09/03/2021 - 08:54
Crossed-up wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Quote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

link

I wanted to say thanks again for this - I did it yesterday with the ES and it's now running smoothly with no jams. I also tried a battery in it and the electronics seem to be fine, so I'm very happy with my new camera, especially as it was better than free since I've sold of the three lenses for three times what I paid for them plus the camera.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.