What's your latest acquisition?

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 10/11/2020 - 12:54
I bought a cheapie Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8 to go on the F801S I bought a few months back which has been sitting unused as I had no lens for it. The Nikon is a little disappointing in build quality but even more so in that there are no half stops when using it in aperture priority mode. It's an unexpected limitation that I don't have with cameras that are much older. I only bought the F801S as it goes up to 1/8000s shutter speed, which gives me a lot of flexibility. The only other film camera I have that does that is the Pentax Z1, which is very similar in functionality, but uglier and doesn't take AA batteries.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

JAK

Link Posted 10/11/2020 - 16:59
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I bought a cheapie Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8 to go on the F801S I bought a few months back which has been sitting unused as I had no lens for it. The Nikon is a little disappointing in build quality but even more so in that there are no half stops when using it in aperture priority mode. It's an unexpected limitation that I don't have with cameras that are much older. I only bought the F801S as it goes up to 1/8000s shutter speed, which gives me a lot of flexibility. The only other film camera I have that does that is the Pentax Z1, which is very similar in functionality, but uglier and doesn't take AA batteries.

We all make mistakes! But aren't you on the wrong forum?
John K

Benz3ne

Link Posted 11/11/2020 - 18:48
LennyBloke wrote:
Benz3ne wrote:
Taken a little gamble on another MX.
Was described as requiring new light seals and having a slightly dirty focus screen. I did the seals on my current MX so that bit isn’t too much of an issue for me.
The good bit is it is described as meter working and shutter speeds change according to dial being turned so hopefully it won’t be a dud.
Either way, I paid £37 and it should be here towards the end of the week. It could have a CLA and still be a reasonable price (versus the current market).

The MX is such a good value camera - I'm still amazed at K1000's and KM's selling for more money - sounds a pretty good price and a little tinkering and cleaning you may well have a stunner

My latest acquisition is a Billingham 25 Rucksack - very expensive but I've tried quite a few rucksacks and this one is the nearest thing to perfection (for my purposes) I've found - that coupled with the build quality enables me to justify shelling out so much it'll probably outlast me

It's this one (in case you're interested)...
https://billingham.co.uk/products/25-rucksack?variant=9534150705195

Fingers crossed it’s as good looking in person as it is in the photos. A bit of muck is fine, I don’t mind cleaning.
Seals set from Jon Goodman en route. 😁

That looks a great rucksack! I would like to be able to afford something like that!

womble

Link Posted 11/11/2020 - 21:27
LennyBloke wrote:
The MX is such a good value camera - I'm still amazed at K1000's and KM's selling for more money - sounds a pretty good price and a little tinkering and cleaning you may well have a stunner

I've never understood the premium prices people pay for a K1000. It's the photographic equivalent of wearing a hair shirt... The KM usually sells for less, and has a some extra (but useful) features like the self timer. I can understand that some prefer the KX to the MX when they find the latter too small, but £200+ for a K1000 is just madness.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Benz3ne

Link Posted 12/11/2020 - 13:41
womble wrote:
LennyBloke wrote:

I've never understood the premium prices people pay for a K1000. It's the photographic equivalent of wearing a hair shirt... The KM usually sells for less, and has a some extra (but useful) features like the self timer. I can understand that some prefer the KX to the MX when they find the latter too small, but £200+ for a K1000 is just madness.

I bumped into someone (figuratively) in the park the other day taking a photo on his phone. He mentioned he should bring his DSLR out more, I asked what he used,
“Pentax K50”. Ah great, I’m into Pentax (lenses nowadays). Conversation continued and he mentioned that he had an old Pentax film camera and lenses to sell. K1000, in good nick. Was originally thinking £100 for the lot. I had his email address off him and said I’d drop him a line with some info...
I think he was surprised at what the K1000 goes for! Atop that he had a 100mm f/4 Macro, 50mm f/2, Vivitar 28mm f/2, Sekonic Studio Deluxe light meter... couple other bits n pieces.
We chatted a bit and I gave him direction on light seals, what to check for with the lenses, etc. Suffice to say it rekindled his affinity for the camera so he’s keeping hold for the time being.

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 12/11/2020 - 17:18
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

The Z-1/Z-1p is a thing of BEAUTY!!!!

2CR5 batteries still availble.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Benz3ne

Link Posted 12/11/2020 - 19:55
Benz3ne wrote:
Taken a little gamble on another MX.
It could have a CLA and still be a reasonable price (versus the current market).

Arrived and looks great. Electronics work great (though a bit of corrosion on the battery door).
However! The second curtain sticks intermittently. Apparently happens sometimes when some lubricant dries up a bit. I think this one might go for a CLA to have that sorted, it looks aesthetically great.

Now to find out who best to send it to...

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 13/11/2020 - 09:00
JAK wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

Not at all. I won't ask here for any help with it if I have questions but I think it's fair to comment I bought it. I might even get a glassless adapter to use my Pentax M42 lenses on it, as I only have the 50mm.

Speaking of M42, my latest acquisition is now a RevueFlex 5005 film SLR, which is a rebranded Chinon CE Memotron. I was surprised to see it seems in good working order, just needs new seals and mirror bumper. It's very heavy for a 35mm SLR but good and solid and goes to 1/2000s!! It came with an Auto Revuenon 55mm f/1.4 which is also clean and working well, though focus, while smooth, doesn't have much resistance so isn't as pleasant to use as a Takumar. Will test it out on digital later.

Strangely, it also came with a Nikon flash which I believe will play very nicely with the F801S.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 13/11/2020 - 09:05

womble

Link Posted 13/11/2020 - 10:05
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
JAK wrote:

Not at all. I won't ask here for any help with it if I have questions but I think it's fair to comment I bought it. I might even get a glassless adapter to use my Pentax M42 lenses on it, as I only have the 50mm.

Two of the reasons that I tend to post more on the US Pentax fora than here are that (a) there is a bigger and more active film community and (b) the film section is brand agnostic. Pentax doesn't make film cameras anymore, and thus discussing other makes doesn't impact current sales etc. I'm making quite a few pinhole images these days, but cannot show anyone here, for example, let alone pictures taken with my 1950s folders! On the other hand, I avoid the digital / news / rumors sections as some of the discussions there get unpleasantly acrimonious and largely I have read it all before here and elsewhere (the why doesn't Pentax do this or that arguments interspersed by comments from the doom merchants).

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Benz3ne

Link Posted 13/11/2020 - 10:18
womble wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Quote:

Two of the reasons that I tend to post more on the US Pentax fora than here are that (a) there is a bigger and more active film community and (b) the film section is brand agnostic. Pentax doesn't make film cameras anymore, and thus discussing other makes doesn't impact current sales etc. I'm making quite a few pinhole images these days, but cannot show anyone here, for example, let alone pictures taken with my 1950s folders! On the other hand, I avoid the digital / news / rumors sections as some of the discussions there get unpleasantly acrimonious and largely I have read it all before here and elsewhere (the why doesn't Pentax do this or that arguments interspersed by comments from the doom merchants).

K.

I still think you should flaunt them. I’d love to see any film related stuff bolster this site.

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 13/11/2020 - 18:08
Battery arrived today for my new camera. Off tomorrow to get a roll of film or 3 and I'll be having a play!

Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

K10D

Link Posted 13/11/2020 - 21:27
Just bought a Pentax-FA 645 120mm F4 MACRO for the Z & 645N II. SRS will be sorting out delivery.
Last Edited by K10D on 13/11/2020 - 21:32

womble

Link Posted 13/11/2020 - 23:38
cardiffgareth wrote:
Battery arrived today for my new camera. Off tomorrow to get a roll of film or 3 and I'll be having a play!

Nice!
Kris Lockyear

My website

HarisF1

Link Posted 14/11/2020 - 06:38
I bought three lenses:

A 24/2.8
M 120/2.8
M 35/2

All three have issues. The A 24 has balsam separation, the M 120 has fungus and the 35/2 has a stiff focus ring and something wrong with the aperture ring.

I get the feeling people are taking the chance to clear their lofts and they're finding stuff that's potentially valuable (but damaged). All of them were described as good/working so they're all going back. I'd want to re-purchase the M series lenses if they could be sorted but otherwise I think the seller can deal with them for now.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 14/11/2020 - 11:27
HarisF1 wrote:
I bought three lenses:

A 24/2.8
M 120/2.8
M 35/2

All three have issues. The A 24 has balsam separation, the M 120 has fungus and the 35/2 has a stiff focus ring and something wrong with the aperture ring.

I get the feeling people are taking the chance to clear their lofts and they're finding stuff that's potentially valuable (but damaged). All of them were described as good/working so they're all going back. I'd want to re-purchase the M series lenses if they could be sorted but otherwise I think the seller can deal with them for now.

That's a real shame. I haven't tried the A 24mm but I have copies of the other two and they're very good, when in good condition of course.

Regarding the Nikon, I wouldn't post photos taken with it here but I think it's OK to comment that I've bought it. One of the great things about film photography these days is that it's so easy to be brand agnostic, with prices being what they are. Sure, they've increased in recent years but there are still bargains to be had and someone who knows what to look for (and what to look out for) can get good gear at a good price.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.