What's your highest ever daily 'photo tally'?

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 25/07/2013 - 17:04
OK , thanks for responses to everyone on both subjects.I guessed it would be around 100-150k for shutter life. Not likely to become an issue for me (I hope) but nice to know there's plenty of leeway and excess statistical capacity available if my trigger finger starts twitching.

johnriley

Link Posted 25/07/2013 - 17:07
I shoot what I consider to be a fair number of pictures, but even the K20D has only reached 11,000 actuations. It's got a long way to go yet, hopefully.
Best regards, John

Mike-P

Link Posted 25/07/2013 - 17:27
johnriley wrote:
Car engines will also sometimes last an amazing length of time, some will give up the ghost much sooner.

Our television is a bit like that ... it's getting on a bit now and I would like to buy a nice 46" 3D plasma set but the little Sony doesn't seem likely to give up any time soon.
. My Flickr

AndrewA

Link Posted 25/07/2013 - 18:15
I came home with 706 last night from the cycling event here in Sheffield. I guess about 50 didn't make it home either!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

Patty

Link Posted 25/07/2013 - 22:29
Went to BSB at Snetterton on the Saturday for qualifying and some races. Took almost 1300 pictures with my K5. Got them down to just under 400 for my keepers. Lots were decent IQ which I dumped as not too much point in repetition of them. The next day I went to Amateur Speedway and took another 150 pix. This was on one battery charge for the two days, which I consider good going for a non standard battery which was 2 for under a fiver.

Both sets on Flickr at

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjGMk9Ko
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjGWwqGB

Pat

greypoint

Link Posted 25/07/2013 - 22:39
Took around 5,000 over two days shooting a dog agility show a couple of weeks ago - with several hundred dogs in lots of different competitions in 8 or 9 rings it's quite easy to fill your cards. Two cameras involved - one my K-5iis.

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 25/07/2013 - 22:42
When it comes to 'tactics' and individual shooting style, how many people would consider themselves 'machine gunners' and how many 'snipers'. I think my personal approach is to favour the 'sniper'...every shot counts, honed I suppose from decades of 35mm film...a bit like 'rationing' and 'post war excess'. Having said that, for certain subjects (fast sport, fast transport, paid work where you really don't want to miss the shot of the day i can see the attraction of letting go and hoping to find something of value in the digital net.

Is it going to be a forgone conclusion that most of the 'machine gunners' use Canons (excuse the pun) and that most Pentaxians are 'snipers'?

petrochemist

Link Posted 25/07/2013 - 23:04
I think my highest ever would have been at first day of the Clacton Airshow last year, where I took around 2150 photos, followed shortly after by another 130 of a distant sailing ship passing the windfarm.
That would certainly be above average for me!

August last year proved to be a very high shooting month for me, possibly in part due to the very drab weather earlier in the year, but helped considerably by attending more events & travelling more... I had to drive to Scotland on the second day of the airshow passing more photo opportunities, but without much time to capture them

In the last 3 years since getting a DSLR I think I've taken a total of around 28,500 (using 5 or more cameras). So although I'm a fairly high volume shooter I don't think my record level is too indicative of normal usage.
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr WPF Panoramio
Last Edited by petrochemist on 25/07/2013 - 23:08

davidstorm

Link Posted 26/07/2013 - 00:17
johnriley wrote:
I've just checked the spec sheet and it is indeed 6/3 fps on the K50, and therefore it will be on the K500 as well.

K-01 is also 6/3 fps in hi/lo continuous shooting mode.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

truckerathome

Link Posted 26/07/2013 - 07:15
johnriley wrote:
If the camera is set to lock the meter reading when the shutter is pressed then I can see how we could get under or over exposure if the lighting changed. Or, for example, if we were panning from a dark area to a light one.

Could the problem be something along these lines?

Thanks for the reply. The camera meter reading was not locked and exif shows both shots at exactly same shutter speed, aperture etc (as would be, as settings were at manual)and also shows same time recorded and they were in same lighting conditions. These shots have now deleted but if I though about it I could have posted them for comments and opinions on the overexposure. If it happens again I will post them next time ... Martin

Dogsbody

Link Posted 26/07/2013 - 12:47
Gwyn wrote:
Remind me not to buy a second hand body from any of you guys .

Fairford 590 on a Hazy Saturday but only a handful were really worth a good look.

Duxford tomorow (no scheduled displays though) but rain is forecast; how typical.

A very happily using a K30. My wife says I have too many lenses.
Last Edited by Dogsbody on 26/07/2013 - 12:47

Mandrake

Link Posted 26/07/2013 - 13:27
truckerathome wrote:

The camera meter reading was not locked and exif shows both shots at exactly same shutter speed, aperture etc (as would be, as settings were at manual)and also shows same time recorded and they were in same lighting conditions.

Could be an issue with the lens rather than the camera. If the aperture doesn't close down as far as the camera wants it to, then you'll get overexposure. I have an old manual lens that does this if it gets too cold, regardless of frame rate. Try having a play with the little aperture lever and see if it gets stuck or moves slowly.
Simon

My online scrapbook: http://smxc.co.uk

Smeggypants

Link Posted 26/07/2013 - 15:57
1stEverPentax wrote:
When it comes to 'tactics' and individual shooting style, how many people would consider themselves 'machine gunners' and how many 'snipers'. I think my personal approach is to favour the 'sniper'...every shot counts, honed I suppose from decades of 35mm film...a bit like 'rationing' and 'post war excess'. Having said that, for certain subjects (fast sport, fast transport, paid work where you really don't want to miss the shot of the day i can see the attraction of letting go and hoping to find something of value in the digital net.

Is it going to be a forgone conclusion that most of the 'machine gunners' use Canons (excuse the pun) and that most Pentaxians are 'snipers'?

Not sure the camera brand you use makes any difference.

I'm neither a machine gunner or a sniper. I'm an impulse shooter.

i.e I see something I think worthy of shooting and I shoot it. Very very rare I spend a lot of time carefully aiming and considering the shot ( sniping ) and very very rare I rattle off loads in succession ) machine gunning ). Only time I really machine gun is when confronted with something worth shooting that's fast evolving, like some sports action.

If I was a sports photographer I'd certainly get into the realms of machine gunning.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Horst

Link Posted 30/07/2013 - 10:27
Once a month I am going on a shooting trip for the day.

I think I am still a bit used to my film cameras with the amount of photos I take.

Normally I come home with about 40 to 60 pictures.
Then I am happy to get 2 good shots out of it.

However the idea of going out by myself and just looking for good motives is very enjoyable.
I think part of the fun is trying to find something worth while to photograph, setting up the camera, selecting various lenses and then taking the shot.
I suppose this is one advantage I have of being an amateur and not having to do it for a living.

Regards, Horst
Last Edited by Horst on 30/07/2013 - 10:28

Stanovich

Link Posted 31/07/2013 - 00:48
I think my maximum was about 200, from a day walking around Dartmouth and Kingswear.

On average I discard about 10-20%, rarely more than 30% - it comes from growing up with a film SLR in the days when I couldn't afford much film/processing, so had to make each shot count. I would guess about 1 in 100-200 make it into the folder of 'really good shots' that I might print as 12x18s or thereabouts to frame.
K5IIs & ME Super with FA24-90, DA17-70, DA55-300, misc old primes; Fuji X20.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.