What's your highest ever daily 'photo tally'?

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 12:20
Went to the airshow at Fairford over the weekend. I've been doing airshows on and off for over 35 years but this was the first time i've taken a DSLR. I usually would take a couple or perhaps 3 36exp 35mm films and then carefully ration my shots during the day. On this occasion though powered by a set of 4 Ansmann 2850MmAh AA batteries i took a record (for me) 484 shots before running out of memory card. The batteries were pretty tired as well i think although they might have just about lasted for 500 shots.

Got me thinking..all you day/ event shooters out there...what is your highest ever daily 'tally' regardless of whether or not they were 'keepers'?

fritzthedog

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 13:27
That made me smile.

At the Sunderland airshow in 2011 (missed it last year) I took in excess of 2,000 shots - admittedly I was using 2 bodies.

It is the Sunderland airshow this weekend and I will be there but I do not intend trying to beat my record!

If I am doing motor sport or wildlife it is not unusual for me to rack up over 500 a day.

My guess is I do not even come close to the top in this poll

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Mike-P

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 15:03
Just over a thousand last Saturday at Yeovilton Air Day.

About 100 were worth keeping, rest were either oof or the heat haze ruined them.

Edit: Just to add that although I had a spare battery in the body I only used half the power from the one in the grip .. and that was with a bit of video as well.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 24/07/2013 - 15:06

Gamka

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 15:24
On some days when taking wildlife down in Africa I can easily manage 500 ...some of those may be due to bracketing just +- 0.3 because of the light and occasionally one of the later may be a better picture even if the light is slightly out - which can be corrected.

gwing

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 15:51
My limit is usually 36. But sometimes when shooting wildlife I get a bit trigger happy and don't manage to stick within this.

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 15:59
Carl, 2000 a day...that is going some...at Sunderland as well! There were 34 different flying slots at Fairford not to mention dozens of aircraft on the static line as well.

Mike, 10% ratio of 'keepers'...that's probably close to what I found although in my case i've got a lot of the total...probably in excess of 25% that are spoilt by
dust spots and what looks like a hair. The annoying thing is many of these 'spots' aren't really apparent in ordinary day-day shooting but become really noticeable against sky and as for the 'hair', that seems to 'come and go' but always in the same place..I thought i'd got rid of it once but obviously not.

Gamka, Know what you mean about the bracketing, with hindsight I should have used that feature. Its always very difficult shooting pale or camouflaged aircraft against a changing sky to get the exposure just right.

johnriley

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 16:10
When we're away on holiday with the family, we all have a little game when we get back to the cottage, "How many shots did you take today?" I don't usually "win" that contest!
Best regards, John

RayB

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 16:32
I was also at Fairford, my count was 987.

cabstar

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 16:34
Saturday shooting a wedding 1600 then onto the club 480 then Sunday onto Latitude Festival 900 not a bad weekend. That was between two bodies although the majority on the k-5 mkii
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

fritzthedog

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 16:54
I got a little over excited as it was the first airshow I had visited and I had one body set to 'machine gun' mode shooting bursts each time - mainly because I had never tried it before - and will not be again.

The K5 that was being used traditionally took around 700 shots - of those I still have around 70 - from the other body - less than 40

Lets see what happens on Saturday but I am expecting to keep below 500 this year unless I have another rush of blood to the head

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Gwyn

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 17:26
Remind me not to buy a second hand body from any of you guys .

Mike-P

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 17:32
fritzthedog wrote:
I got a little over excited as it was the first airshow I had visited and I had one body set to 'machine gun' mode shooting bursts each time - mainly because I had never tried it before - and will not be again.

That is one thing I do like about Canon bodies (think we had a thread about it a while back). With Pentax you have high rate = 7ps, low rate = 1.5fps and single shot whereas with my 7D it has the same but low rate is half the high rate (as was my 50D) which means you get the benefit of decent fps when you don't need the lot. Pentax's 1.5fps is a joke, it should be set at 7/4/1

johnriley

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 17:43
Things change Mike. I think the current K500 and K50 were 6fps/3fps, it will be in the spec sheet.
Best regards, John

cabstar

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 17:44
Blimey i was on single frame rate too...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Mike-P

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 17:45
johnriley wrote:
Things change Mike. I think the current K500 and K50 were 6fps/3fps, it will be in the spec sheet.

About time if true, shame they couldn't have done it with the K-5 and K-5II/s
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.