Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

What's in my bag today

womble
Posted 06/04/2012 - 21:00 Link
My camera bag changes regularly depending on my mood, what film I have, where I am going and all that. Recently (as some will have noticed from Flickr) I have been having a bit of an ES/ESII phase.

Comment Image

Pentax ES fitted with a SMC Takumar 55/1.8 lens and a Pentax hood (although a K series era one), loaded with B&W film.

Pentax ES II fitted with a S-M-C Takumar 28mm f/3.5 lens and colour film.

S-M-C Takumar 135mm f/3.5 and hood, S-M-C Takumar 200mm f/4 and hood.

Various filters, mainly Pentax and a close-up lens.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
johnha
Posted 07/04/2012 - 18:00 Link
Nice bagful of kit there Kris,

I still think proper cameras are nicer to use, must get my S1a out again.

John.
bjolester
Posted 08/04/2012 - 15:37 Link
Great looking kit!

Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Edited by bjolester: 08/04/2012 - 15:38
ChrisA
Posted 08/04/2012 - 18:28 Link
Hats off to you, Kris, I could never go back there - I don't have the patience any more.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
George Lazarette
Posted 08/04/2012 - 18:59 Link
Patience, or time?

I used to love being in the darkroom, but finding the time was difficult. Of course, if you have a dedicated darkroom in your house, it's a bit easier. But even then...

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
ChrisA
Posted 08/04/2012 - 19:10 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
Patience, or time?

Both, but mostly patience. I never developed or printed my own pictures, and the gap between the exposure and the print meant that it was difficult to learn from the mistakes.

Whereas with digital, I see the dross straight away and can therefore often fix it, and I don't need chemicals and actual dark, for the darkroom work.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Algernon
Posted 08/04/2012 - 20:26 Link
That's all my gear from 35 years ago
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
womble
Posted 09/04/2012 - 00:11 Link
I wish I had the darkroom to go with the cameras but I don't and so "The Darkroom UK" get a slice of my pay packet on a regular basis...

Not sure why, but I just don't get the same pleasure out of using my K20D as I do out of using my film gear. Over the last couple of years I've been using more film with a variety of different cameras.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
George Lazarette
Posted 09/04/2012 - 08:24 Link
Perhaps it's because there is more of a ritual attached to using film. There's a box to unwrap, the process of loading the film, the necessity to change the ISO, and the knowledge that you only have a limited amount of exposures and you have to make them count.

It's akin to smoking a pipe. There's much more to do than with a cigarette.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
johnha
Posted 09/04/2012 - 23:09 Link
In many ways, using film is easier than digital, depending on the camera used. No need to worry about batteries dying, either use a mechanical camera or carry spare batteries (that may last for months). No trouble having to backup the images (OK my slides and negs aren't organised - but I know where they all are).

Having recently 'gone digital' with a K-5, which is an amazing camera, I find myself having to work out how to backup GBs of photos (currently using the SD card they were captured on, as I think they're more reliable than a hard disc or DVD-RW).

I sometimes wonder how I managed with film, just 36 exposures (OK maybe 39 if you pushed it), not knowing what you'd got until days later and no 'happy feeling' that you at least have something and haven't screwed-up the basics.

I got an S1a a few weeks ago (still don't know if it works properly), having loaded a 36exp film into it, I'm still only on number 21. I guess I just can't justify shooting it until I'm completely happy with everything, a far cry from digital. Once I'm happy it works with the Super-Takumar 55/1.8 it came with, I'll be trying my Optomax 35/2.8...
ChrisR
Posted 10/04/2012 - 09:37 Link
Great bag of kit Kris, providing the front pocket of your bag, is used to carry a hot pasty.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
ChrisA
Posted 10/04/2012 - 11:43 Link
johnha wrote:
No trouble having to backup the images (OK my slides and negs aren't organised - but I know where they all are).

In a secure firesafe, clearly, if you think that's safe

I'm sure that historically, we all failed to do much with our negs other than put them in a cupboard, but it doesn't change the fact that in the event of a fire, we'd have lost the whole lot.

Quote:

I find myself having to work out how to backup GBs of photos (currently using the SD card they were captured on, as I think they're more reliable than a hard disc or DVD-RW).

Even if this is true for one SD card, which I doubt, it certainly isn't true as the number of SD cards increases.

The fact is that if you value your images, you need to get yourself a proper storage and backup strategy - the sheer volume of data will make anything else a game of russian roulette, and sooner or later, you will lose valuable data.

The strategy should involve off-site backup, as well as local redundancy.
womble
Posted 26/04/2012 - 01:44 Link
I now have a SMC 50/1.4, S-M-C 135/2.5 (v.1) and a S-M-C 150/4 to add to my bag. I think I need a bigger bag. And a sherpa.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website
Oso
Posted 11/06/2012 - 09:57 Link
Great outfit Kris but unfortunately at my age, when I go on a hike, I carry only one SLR and a short zoom lens, with each km, it gets heavier.

There will also be a compact digital in my pocket, usually my RZ10.

I do use my SLRs by rotation, at least one coloured and one B & W a month, the coloured is done by our local shop but I develop and print myself the B & W at our local club premises, there's still quite a lot of us doing B & W here.

If I use my ESII, it is with a short Tamaron zoom because the original Tak zoom is too bulky.

Oso
womble
Posted 28/04/2015 - 20:05 Link
Re-post of the image.

Comment Image

Pentax ES, ESII and SMC Takumar lenses par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear

My website

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.