what photo monitor do you use?

mattie

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 21:05
Hi all

After a quick trial of the likely candidates I've settled on Adobe Lightroom as my editing tool of choice - the only problem being my rather dated PC clunked and whirred a touch so I'm in the market for a new set-up.

The missus has agreed it can be a whole new set-up!

I'm after advice on what to shortlist, and I'm specifically interested in what monitors I should consider - I'm currently wavering towards an iMac but could go for PC if there's a specific monitor that would compete. I'm au fiat with PCs in general but I've little clue about displays, and have a budget of around 1000 for the lot (can get iMac under academic staff discount for a little above that).

I'd be interested in what other have used or are using, and their various trials and tribulations.

Cheers

Matt

johnriley

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 21:14
IPS monitors are the thing, the best, and most expensive, being models from NEC and others.

However, for just about 200 Dell make some amazing IPS screen monitors. These have a gentle look to the eye, better than iMac IMHO, but superb sharpness.

Ours are the Dell 2209WA.
Best regards, John

davidstorm

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 21:21
I ditched my desktop for a top of the range Core I-7 laptop and one of my main considerations was that it must have a great screen. I went for an Asus N56VZ - absolutely superb screen, full HD and very accurate colour reproduction. It's transformed my photo processing speed and accuracy, it may not be an option for you but it might be worthy of consideration. The best bit is I can take it everywhere with me!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

andrewk

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 21:21
+1 for the Dell 2209WA

A bit (lot) bright out of the box, but wonderful once calibrated. It also holds its calibration well.

Andrew
Flickr photostream

cbrog

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 21:35
Asus ProArt238Q IPS 23" Full HD etc. Stable with good colour and needed no adjustment.

Roger.

wvbarnes

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 22:41
I have Dell U2412M. 1920 x 1200 IPS, views any angle left, right, up or down the same. Tilt, height and rotate adjustment, I love it. Cost me around 200 a few months back. I do graphic, paper and web design on it as well so appreciate the extra size.

cabstar

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 22:46
Any new machine is going to come with windows 8, for that reason alone i would go for the imac.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

George Lazarette

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 23:24
What is your objection to Windows 8?

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

stub

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 23:25
I would also recommend any of the Asus photo monitors.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

Smeggypants

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 23:59
cabstar wrote:
Any new machine is going to come with windows 8, for that reason alone i would go for the imac.

My new machines don't come with anything - Even though I haven't heard good things about Windows 8 I wouldn't move to Apple just becuase of that. Win 7 works great here.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Smeggypants

Link Posted 30/07/2013 - 00:01
Finally ordered myself two new monitors

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-iiyama-prolite-x2485ws-b1-black-widescreen-ips...

Iiyama 24" 1920x1200s LED IPS.

One of my CRTs blew up today ( it's been on the blink for weeks )

I'll finally be able to resolve deep blacks now - Hurrah!!

Hopefully here wednesday. Gotta find my Pantone Heuy to calibrate them
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..

Smeggypants

Link Posted 30/07/2013 - 00:03
mattie wrote:
Hi all

After a quick trial of the likely candidates I've settled on Adobe Lightroom as my editing tool of choice - the only problem being my rather dated PC clunked and whirred a touch so I'm in the market for a new set-up.

The missus has agreed it can be a whole new set-up!

I'm after advice on what to shortlist, and I'm specifically interested in what monitors I should consider - I'm currently wavering towards an iMac but could go for PC if there's a specific monitor that would compete. I'm au fiat with PCs in general but I've little clue about displays, and have a budget of around 1000 for the lot (can get iMac under academic staff discount for a little above that).

I'd be interested in what other have used or are using, and their various trials and tribulations.

Cheers

Matt

Most important thing for Lightroom IMO is a dual monitor system. Loupe view on one monitor. Editing on the other. Really speeds up workflow. I've used a dual monitor set up for 15 years now and could never go back to one.

cabstar

Link Posted 30/07/2013 - 01:36
George Lazarette wrote:

G

It just gets in the way of my work flow. I recently bought a new ultrabook without a touchscreen and it came with windows 8. Thankfully i only use this for editing and uploading photos. My next machine will be a macbook. Ive been a windows user since win 3.1 circa 1993 and have decided windows 8 is the end, i want an os to help my workflow not to consistently be a hindrance. My win 8 machine came with windows update auto selected. When I went to Glastonbury i was in a field on battery power when switching on my laptop it decided to update windows, using valuable battery power, along with expensive mobile broadband data and also most importantly time waiting for this update. Yes I know I can switch of auto settings but once the update started even a reboot wouldnt allow me to stop it.

The email client is dreadful. A simple f5 to sync is replaced by more touchpad use than is needed.

The metro element is a complete waste of data and power for me

No start button, yes I know there is an app but I shouldnt have to buy an app to be able to work my computer.

The screens on the retina mbp are beautiful and I have stunning screen on my Samsung Gamer 7 laptop, but its not as good as the retina.

My Samsung has win 7 on it but any future computer purchases as my uktrabook has proved will have to come with win 8 and a custom build is out of the window for me i prefer off the shelf for reliability and no compatibility issues, ive suffered those for years and not doing it again.

I agree with smeggy a two screen setup is a must, even my wife now has a two screen set up for her studies its just so efficient for computing and productivity
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Smeggypants

Link Posted 30/07/2013 - 03:25
cabstar wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:

G

It just gets in the way of my work flow. I recently bought a new ultrabook without a touchscreen and it came with windows 8. Thankfully i only use this for editing and uploading photos. My next machine will be a macbook. Ive been a windows user since win 3.1 circa 1993 and have decided windows 8 is the end, i want an os to help my workflow not to consistently be a hindrance. My win 8 machine came with windows update auto selected. When I went to Glastonbury i was in a field on battery power when switching on my laptop it decided to update windows, using valuable battery power, along with expensive mobile broadband data and also most importantly time waiting for this update. Yes I know I can switch of auto settings but once the update started even a reboot wouldnt allow me to stop it.

The email client is dreadful. A simple f5 to sync is replaced by more touchpad use than is needed.

The metro element is a complete waste of data and power for me

No start button, yes I know there is an app but I shouldnt have to buy an app to be able to work my computer.

The screens on the retina mbp are beautiful and I have stunning screen on my Samsung Gamer 7 laptop, but its not as good as the retina.

My Samsung has win 7 on it but any future computer purchases as my uktrabook has proved will have to come with win 8 and a custom build is out of the window for me i prefer off the shelf for reliability and no compatibility issues, ive suffered those for years and not doing it again.

I agree with smeggy a two screen setup is a must, even my wife now has a two screen set up for her studies its just so efficient for computing and productivity

Yup two screens for anything serious regarding computing. I use two screens for everything. Even having two windows of Firefox on each screen makes internet usage so much easier.

I don't agree about 'off the shelf' being better for reliability and compatibility though. I have built my own PCs since the mid 1990s and I have NEVER had any of those issues.

In fact in variably it's off the shelf PCs that are preloaded with all kinds of bloat that have caused people problems in my experience.

It's a shame you intend on totally ditching PCs simply because Windows 8 is a bit dodgy. I shall be avoiding windows 8 because a] it offers nothing over win 7 for me and b] in my experience of windows since 3.1 every alternate version of windows has been best avoided. Microsoft has a habit of taking 2 versions to get their progression working properly.

Quote:
It just gets in the way of my work flow. I recently bought a new ultrabook without a touchscreen and it came with windows 8.

So just wipe it and install win 7. Why ditch a whole platform becuase of one dodgy Windows version?

The grass isn't greener remember.
Last Edited by Smeggypants on 30/07/2013 - 03:26

MattMatic

Link Posted 30/07/2013 - 09:37
Mac for me every time
After 25 years of Windows (coding and use) I find OS X to be a complete refreshing change. LR4 + CS5 (and Pixelmator etc) is an excellent photography environment. For audio work it wins hands down for me (Reaper/Logic/GB)

The iMac screens are ok (I have an older non-LED lit version), and the MBP screens tend to be extremely bright. I've tamed them both using a Huey Pro and ArgyllCMS+dispCalGUI calibration software.

However, I have a Lacie 120 screen which is superb for image editing for real prints. It looks "dull" in comparison but when calibrated + profiled gives an excellent match for prints.

HTH!
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 30/07/2013 - 09:38
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.