What lenses for the new FF

mattox

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 12:02
So by the end of the year we all go out and by the full frame right? But what lenses are we going to use? We have our old Fa's and manual K's right? But what wide angles are we going to use? Are pentax going to release other lens apart from the two new zooms that have just come out? I dont dont know about you but I am not going to invest all this money in full frame then have to crop my DA's

mille19

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 12:04
Some of the DA lenses are supposed to be FF compatible, DA* 300mm being one.

mattox

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 12:07
mille19 wrote:
Some of the DA lenses are supposed to be FF compatible, DA* 300mm being one.

I have heard that too, but I think the problem with wide angles will be an issue. I am sure that my 16-50 isnt

mille19

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 12:36
There's a few lists knocking about that list if which Pentax lenses are FF compatible.
Some like the DA* 60-250mm cover the FF images circle with heavy vignetting. Maybe Pentax/Ricoh will implement some intelligent in camera cropping for each lens, so the 60-250mm might need a 1.2x crop so would be like a 72-300mm . Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
A couple of my Sigma lenses (24-70mm & 70-200mm) are FF compatible that's why I'm holding on to them

mattox

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 12:40
i know what you mean but , why would you by FF then crop. It just seems pointly to me.

mille19

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 12:57
mattox wrote:
i know what you mean but , why would you by FF then crop. It just seems pointly to me.

Luckily I've got a few lenses that are supposed to be FF compatible.
70mm Ltd
40mmLtd
DA 35mm
DA 50mm
D FA 100mm macro
DA* 300mm
Sigma 24-70mm
Sigma 70-200mm

I'll wait to see what the specs for the new FF are and then make a decision for my next upgrade.
The newly announced K3II I've decided to skip because it doesn't offer enough improvements for my main type of photography.

giofi

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 12:59
I am curious to see what the performance of FF lenses will be on the new camera, especially older lenses that were designed for analog cameras....
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

womble

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 15:52
I have plenty of full frame wide angle lenses, the K15, K17, M20, K24, K, M or A 28, K30, K35...

It will be interesting to see how they fare at the edges though. The centre used by APS-C works fine to superb, but the angle of light into the photosites may be more of a problem around the edges. Only one way to find out...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 17:30
womble wrote:
I have plenty of full frame wide angle lenses, the K15, K17, M20, K24, K, M or A 28, K30, K35...

It will be interesting to see how they fare at the edges though. The centre used by APS-C works fine to superb, but the angle of light into the photosites may be more of a problem around the edges. Only one way to find out...

K.

That's always been my fear. I've got several old full-frame lenses which work quite well on a cropped sensor but will surely be found wanting when bolted to the new camera. Not that I'll ever find out, of course.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

womble

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 17:53
bwlchmawr wrote:
womble wrote:

K.

That's always been my fear. I've got several old full-frame lenses which work quite well on a cropped sensor but will surely be found wanting when bolted to the new camera. Not that I'll ever find out, of course.

To be frank, the only thing that tempts me is having a decent sized viewfinder once more. All this staring down the wrong end of a telescope stuff is tiresome... It is a lot of money to pay for just that, though.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

johnha

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 20:21
It's important to put things into perspective. The usual wide-angle on FF is 28mm (24mm at a push) - anything wider than this is exotic and expensive. DA lenses are (quite rightly) optimised for the APS-C sensor - some that were derived from FA lenses probably cover an FF frame OK (the 35/2.4 & 50/1.8 might be examples of this).

I've always shot film with manual cameras, as such I have a bunch of FF lenses (K, M, F & FA series) that will provide the coverage for an FF frame - I have specifically bought these (sometimes at high prices) for compatibility with my film cameras (I need the coverage & aperture rings). There are users who have used these lenses on non-native FF sensors with adapters who report good results - a Pentax FF should equal or better these results as there are no 3rd party adapters to get in the way.

Pentax will no doubt offer a reasonable range of FF lenses (note the modern preference to zooms over primes), so they will be available. The obvious super-wide-angle zoom is the FA20-35/4 - can't wait to try mine out... doesn't matter if it's not as good on digital* - I'll still need it for film.

* Note: I've seen reports this works fine on FF sensors with adapters.

john.
PPG Flickr

Helpful

mattox

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 20:30
Found this from Ricoh.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

I really hope that these lenses work well on the ff. I am holding on to my old primes and some zooms in hope that the ff frame really evolves why we are Pentax. I have had soooo much bad luck with pentax lately, from 2 Dodgy lenses to a crook af in my k5. Many times I feel like giving up selling off everything and moving onto the Nikon 800's..... I am praying that the full frame will change my mind

johnha wrote:
It's important to put things into perspective. The usual wide-angle on FF is 28mm (24mm at a push) - anything wider than this is exotic and expensive. DA lenses are (quite rightly) optimised for the APS-C sensor - some that were derived from FA lenses probably cover an FF frame OK (the 35/2.4 & 50/1.8 might be examples of this).

I've always shot film with manual cameras, as such I have a bunch of FF lenses (K, M, F & FA series) that will provide the coverage for an FF frame - I have specifically bought these (sometimes at high prices) for compatibility with my film cameras (I need the coverage & aperture rings). There are users who have used these lenses on non-native FF sensors with adapters who report good results - a Pentax FF should equal or better these results as there are no 3rd party adapters to get in the way.

Pentax will no doubt offer a reasonable range of FF lenses (note the modern preference to zooms over primes), so they will be available. The obvious super-wide-angle zoom is the FA20-35/4 - can't wait to try mine out... doesn't matter if it's not as good on digital* - I'll still need it for film.

* Note: I've seen reports this works fine on FF sensors with adapters.

john.

Last Edited by mattox on 01/05/2015 - 20:37

cabstar

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 21:13
The lens map shows a full frame 16-28mm fast zoom, that will be expensive though. As for older lenses particularly the old k and m lenses I feel the newer sensor will out resolve those lenses.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

bforbes

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 21:23
Have people seen this from RiceHighs Pentax Blog link
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

johnha

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 21:32
cabstar wrote:
The lens map shows a full frame 16-28mm fast zoom, that will be expensive though. As for older lenses particularly the old k and m lenses I feel the newer sensor will out resolve those lenses.

Hi Gary, I'm sure the new sensor will probably out resolve some FA lenses - this isn't my concern - I'd be happy if the FA lenses maintain their edge/corner performance on a FF sensor (lpmm compared to film). The FF body will give my FF lenses their true focal lengths back which is more important than absolute IQ. I haven't used my FA43, FA20-35 or FA50 on my K-5 simply because the equivalent focal lengths don't float my boat.
PPG Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.