What is it?

Mag07

Link Posted 16/08/2015 - 21:10
Was shooting some longer exposure photos on the 15th and this popped up on one. That is a crop straight from non edited, exported raw file. Whole image is in my gallery.
I have few shots of the same scene with planes in them and they are simply lines of various sort. This isn't. Plus, it's bigger/fatter. Didn't notice i t in the sky until I actually looked at the picture at home :p

'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

jeallen01

Link Posted 16/08/2015 - 22:44
Where was this shot, at what time, and what do you think you were shooting?
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Mag07

Link Posted 16/08/2015 - 23:06
A short while after sunset, from Alexandra Palace in Muswell Hill, was shooting cityscape with 10 to 30secs exposures. Didn't notice anything in the frame at the time but than with all the city lights on a tiny screen it's not hard to miss. There are a lot of planes visible over the city from that spot usually, but the trail is normally different, more of a line - curvy or straight, depends, but nothing like what is on the photo. Hence the question. Granted, light sources can turn into tricky things on pictures but just curious
The subsequent capture 10 seconds later has nothing showing in the sky.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
Last Edited by Mag07 on 16/08/2015 - 23:09

spinno

Link Posted 17/08/2015 - 07:07
International Space Station, or The Perseids
David

SteveLedger

Link Posted 17/08/2015 - 09:13
LOL... If that's the ISS then I think the occupants are in trouble.
Perseid meteor shower has already peaked and I don't think any of the meteors flamed up like that.
You may have caught some human space junk re-entering and burning up..

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/08/2015 - 09:33
It could have been a Perseid, just because they are past their peak doesn't mean they aren't still out there. They are, just not as frequent, however it could just as easily have been a bit of space junk burning up. The ISS it ain't.

wvbarnes

Link Posted 17/08/2015 - 09:52
My understanding is most meteors we see are little bigger than a grain of sand burning brightly due to the enormous speed in the atmosphere. Once in a while a larger object burns like this and sometimes enough is left to land as a meteorite. . Very lucky to photograph it if so. The last of the Perseids remnants catch our atmosphere up to 26th August.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 17/08/2015 - 10:24
wvbarnes wrote:
.... The last of the Perseids remnants catch our atmosphere up to 26th August.

I hadn't realised they went on so long, until I started processing a few O-GPS1 shots last night and found shooting stars in around 1 in 3 shots

I even got a couple of shots that have 2 in them

You need to see it big (click on it) to actually find one of the Persieds
LennyBloke

Mag07

Link Posted 17/08/2015 - 10:43
Not the ISS for sure. It was tiny and if I remember correctly the photo was taken before it was due to pass, which is why we were having a late, evening coffee at Ally Pally to start with. Did see it but it was just a lil bright dot traveling at very high speed - visible for about a minute before it vanished behind clouds. Cool nevertheless. If someone told me 20 years ago I'd be sitting with my other half sipping coffee while watching a space station swoosh by I'd probably think they were crazy

Nice shot Lenny
Last Edited by Mag07 on 17/08/2015 - 10:57

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/08/2015 - 13:33
Back in the dawn of time (more than 40 years ago!) I worked as a computer operator at what used to be call the Radio and Space Research Station. One of my regular jobs, hated by all ops, was the "satellite run". A great stack of punch cards had to be fed into the reader (woe betide you if dropped them!) and the computer, all 96K of it would churn away processing and predicting satellite orbits. It would then churn out masses of printout on the chain printer, which would inevitably run out of paper or ribbon during the printing. That printout must of cost several forests a week it was so huge.
The guy behind it all would take us out onto the football pitch (yes we had a football/cricket pitch there, and a bar!) and say in 30 seconds satellite X will appear there, and 20 seconds later it will disappear there, pointing at two spots in the sky. Sure enough there would be this faint moving "star" exactly as he said. That included at times the forerunner of the ISS - SkyLab.
So I sat outside, on occasion with my other half, who also worked there, drinking something stronger than coffee, watching a space station swoosh by.

stu62

Link Posted 17/08/2015 - 14:32
hum its not that indonesionplane that as gone missing is it if so you could clame the finders fee
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.