What do you value more . . . your camera or your mobile phone?

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

PIRATE

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 00:11
Ahoy!

Well, I've yet to get a definitive answer to the title, but what does your mobile phone have in it's menu that you very expensive camera does not?

Answer . . a security key code.

Now call me old fashioned and I'm not techno-minded, but it puzzles me why a security entry function isn't incorporated in any camera (well at least those that I've handled), and surely could be introduced by firmware . . couldn't it?

Numeric or alpha-numeric, when you turn on your DSLR or other camera type that has an LCD screen, it could allow for an entry code to be input in order to gain both access and use of said snapometer. I would imagine the input could be done by using various buttons on the back to highlight a number and one to enter it.

I would feel a little warmer inside knowing that should I become detached from my investment piece that it'll be pretty useless to anyone else (OK, so the lens is another issue). It's not going to be fool-proof, but I for on wouldn't mind entering a security code when first fired up, and it makes perfect sense to me (then again I am fairly simple).

I've added a POLL to this thread just to guage user/owner feedback and maybe 'the powers that be' of this forum could let Pentax (UK) know the results (assuming a sufficient number of members take part), and maybe to ask Pentax if a firmware release for all makes/models can be made available (subject to results and if it's possible by firmware).

Has this been covered before?
fluidr : Airplane-Pictues : redbubble

pentaxian450

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 00:17
Think about it. You see a sniper going to shoot the Queen. You're the only one around with a camera. You want to take THE picture of a lifetime, but the "goddamned" thing is jammed because you're fumbling with a bloody security code!

OK, maybe not a perfect example, but you get the idea.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Last Edited by pentaxian450 on 25/09/2012 - 00:18

PIRATE

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 00:35
pentaxian450 wrote:
Think about it. You see a sniper going to shoot the Queen. You're the only one around with a camera. You want to take THE picture of a lifetime, but the "goddamned" thing is jammed because you're fumbling with a bloody security code!

OK, maybe not a perfect example, but you get the idea.

I suppose it's like anything else as it doesn't have be a mandatory requirement, so could have an on/off option in the main menu just like a cell/mobile phone does, thus it becomes optional and you won't miss your shot, but might be annoyed if you lost your expensive camera. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want a security option even if they didn't use it which is a personal thing.

So, I'd sooner have one and not need it than need it and not have one.
fluidr : Airplane-Pictues : redbubble
Last Edited by PIRATE on 25/09/2012 - 00:40

Don

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 01:04
retina scanner in the eyepiece?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

snappychappy

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 06:45
I think it is a great idea, although you should be able to alter the interval at which the code needs to be entered. Enter once a day or week ect and maybe not at start up.
My piccies.

judderman62

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 07:20
god no ...something else with a password ...100% no

steven9761

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 07:44
As quickly as cameras are fitted with security codes, someone will have a piece of software designed that will crack it. 2 of our vans recently got "done over" in London's West End simply by somebody capturing the "ping" off the electronic key. A definite NO from me, I'm afraid!

johnriley

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 07:46
I'd look on it as a waste of resources to have someone designing the system. As Steven says, it would be cracked. Probably within hours.

Better to be careful with our property.
Best regards, John

cabstar

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 07:55
Usually security codes in electronics are to protect data, just remove the card???
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

woodworm

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 08:05
In theory phones can store private data and have access to several of your accounts so you would want to password protect them.

In reality passwords on phones only really stop you from accidentally dialing someone when it's in your pocket as you can still get access to most things on a phone without a password anyway.

In practice I am much more careful with my camera than my phone (I don't have a smart phone, just a standard brick) so I would not want to password protect it.

steven9761

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 08:06
Having reconsidered the question - in theory, it is a sound idea. It's just that I see it as unworkable. If I were to design such a feature into a camera, two security methods I'd consider (which would be major inconveniences) are:

(1) as described above, an alpha-numeric security code, entered via the built-in 4-way controller, or;

(2) an encryption code that could be moved "off-camera". I'm thinking of a piece of software that comes with the camera itself that has to be installed onto a pc, or Mac. That software "writes" a security code onto a media card in the comfort and security of your own home, and the camera will only ever operate when the media card is installed into the camera.

We've already discussed the "shortcomings" of option (1), so consider the inconveniences of option (2):

How many of us loads and unloads our media cards to and from the camera before and after use? Considering that we all like to capture images "on the fly", the card stays put, doesn't it? As an opportunist thief, I snatch your K5 (or whatever), then not only sell on the camera for a tidy sum - the new "owner" gets a media card with the security key, which can then be copied back to a base unit, ready to duplicate that key onto fresh media carda, ad infinitum. If I sell your lovely K5 on, and it no longer works because I've decided to keep the media card for myself, no loss to me!.. I've still mde a few bucks, and the new "owner" is hardly likely to walk into a police station to report it, is he/she?

Option (2) would mean that we have to re-educate ourselves in the use of our equipment, and as the saying goes, you cannot teach old dogs new tricks.
Last Edited by steven9761 on 25/09/2012 - 08:07

Smeggypants

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 08:26
No thanks. What an utter PITA. However the OPTION should be available for the paranoid.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

MattMatic

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 08:45
Without a touch screen, and without a numeric keypad it would be a PITA to use

As has been said, the PIN code is there to protect the data in a phone, and that's easily accessed in a camera by removing the card.

Providing genuine security to protect the device is an enormous undertaking in terms of firmware (it's one of the areas I do for my day job )

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 25/09/2012 - 08:46

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 09:03
I voted no.

However, thumbprint ID would be useful - would make buying/selling used equipment a face-to-face necessity - but I like the idea of a thief being completely unable to use my camera -

Maybe a GPS kill code makes more sense - Camera get stolen - Ring Pentax UK - Give serial number and pin code and Pentax transmit a kill-code to the camera making it a useless hunk of plastic with wires inside....

Algernon

Link Posted 25/09/2012 - 09:37
If you haven't got the camera it doesn't matter if the
thief can use it..... or he's thrown it in a skip after
making sure that no one else can use it
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 25/09/2012 - 09:38
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.