Wentworth Woodhouse - A set of inside shots

davidstorm

Link Posted 09/01/2019 - 22:39
If you are interested in architecture you will probably know about Wentworth Woodhouse, one of the most stunning Stately Homes in the UK. This magnificent property is in a state of decay, which would have been worse had it not been for the previous owner, a local businessman who poured millions into restoring parts of it. However, the house is huge and is still falling apart in many areas. It's now owned by a trust who are in the process of starting full restoration to bring it back to its former glory. Even in its current state it is a national treasure and a fascinating place to visit. It has been used by the BBC and various film companies for costume dramas including Victoria, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Darkest Hour, King Charles III and Billionaire Boy. If you live in the South Yorkshire area and are interested in architecture, local history or photography it is a 'must visit' location. The house runs tours for small numbers of people (around 15 at a time maximum) which offers opportunity for some interesting photos without loads of people milling around. I would love to go there for a full day with a tripod and do some serious photography, but don't think this would be possible. All of these are 'grab shots', hand-held in pretty low light and at slow shutter speeds, so please excuse any camera shake.

All shots with the K-3 and DA*50-135.

Comments welcomed as usual.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

derek897

Link Posted 10/01/2019 - 00:42
Cracking set and fabulous story to go with them, they don't come across as grab shots, with some lovely compositions.
5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12.
With 5 leading the charge for me.
Great to see you posting again
👏👏👏
I know what i like, If not always why.

Helpful

davidwozhere

Link Posted 10/01/2019 - 01:17
#7 gives a lovely impression of grandness without overstating it. As Derek says, there's no evidence of grab shooting there.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Helpful

Nigelk

Link Posted 10/01/2019 - 09:13
Lovely set David, very enjoyable. I like your choice of lens giving us studies from the different rooms rather than the wide angle view. Certainly a place I'd enjoy visiting with my camera.
I think I would make a small change to No7 and either remove or desaturate the green emergency exit sign over the door. It stands out like a sore thumb against the surrounding colours and the composition.

Helpful

Graham_A_E

Link Posted 10/01/2019 - 14:45
A great set of pictures as others have said. The selection of detail gives a good impression of the (sometimes faded) luxury of this sort of country house. I agree with Nigel about the exit sign and perhaps the double plug in no. 6 but they certainly make me want to visit. Is there access to the parts which have not been restored?

Helpful

McGregNi

Link Posted 10/01/2019 - 17:21
An interesting collection that focuses on some of the finer details. You've certainly whet the viewer's appetite for exploration around the place!

I was surprised when I saw the zoom you were using, and I do find myself wanting to "step back" in quite a few of them .... the images you've taken are in the middle ground between wide views and close ups, the sort of things I imagine you would see if, whilst taking in an entire room, you suddenly turned around and looked at what was right behind you..... so they look like the things you weren't looking at, if that makes sense.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Helpful

davidstorm

Link Posted 10/01/2019 - 20:12
Thanks all, there are some great comments on this set.

Nigelk wrote:
Lovely set David, very enjoyable. I like your choice of lens giving us studies from the different rooms rather than the wide angle view. Certainly a place I'd enjoy visiting with my camera.
I think I would make a small change to No7 and either remove or desaturate the green emergency exit sign over the door. It stands out like a sore thumb against the surrounding colours and the composition.

Hi Nigel, thanks for your comments, they are very much appreciated. Regards No. 7 and the green emergency sign, I choose to leave this in because my objective was to photograph the house as it is, warts and all. My interest wasn't in making pretty photos, although I do try to get interesting compositions, I just wanted to document elements of it that are there now.

Graham_A_E wrote:
A great set of pictures as others have said. The selection of detail gives a good impression of the (sometimes faded) luxury of this sort of country house. I agree with Nigel about the exit sign and perhaps the double plug in no. 6 but they certainly make me want to visit. Is there access to the parts which have not been restored?

Hi Graham, thank you for the comments, it's very interesting to hear everyone's views about aspects of these images. The mention of the double socket in No. 6 fascinates me because I purposely included this element in the shot to show the contrast between the absolute luxury of the fantastic fireplace and fire basket, and the bodged attempt at installing an ugly 'modern' socket, with poor quality plastering around it to fill in the gaps! Without this, the shot wouldn't work as I intended it to work, but the context of this was in my head as I shot it and I appreciate it's difficult to understand this by just looking at the image.

McGregNi wrote:
An interesting collection that focuses on some of the finer details. You've certainly whet the viewer's appetite for exploration around the place!

I was surprised when I saw the zoom you were using, and I do find myself wanting to "step back" in quite a few of them .... the images you've taken are in the middle ground between wide views and close ups, the sort of things I imagine you would see if, whilst taking in an entire room, you suddenly turned around and looked at what was right behind you..... so they look like the things you weren't looking at, if that makes sense.

Hi Nigel, great to hear your comments and I think you have hit the nail right on the head! I purposefully chose the 50-135 to focus in on the smaller details and give views of things that people may not ordinarily notice. I think in a place like this using a wide angle lens can result in 'ordinary' looking images, I try to do something a bit differently. I did have another lens with me on the day (Sigma 17-70), but it stayed in the camera bag as I didn't feel it wouldn't have given me what I was looking for.

Thanks again to all for the comments.

Regards
David

Flickr

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 11/01/2019 - 08:39
These are great David... lovely atmospheric, focussed compositions that tell a story... great precision, and clear personal choices... not going to choose favourites, they all have your eye in them... very nicely done...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Facebook

K10D

Link Posted 11/01/2019 - 17:30
A well photographed, detailed set David. No.12 is, imo, class photography. The glass pane distortion looks great.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

MrB

Link Posted 11/01/2019 - 17:36
A most interesting set, David. The compositions are enjoyable, and the colour balance enhances the impression of the age of the place. They are a stimulus to find out more about the property and to add it to the list of places to visit when in the area.

Cheers.
Philip
Last Edited by MrB on 11/01/2019 - 17:37

carmagw

Link Posted 11/01/2019 - 18:05
Interesting set David, I should make the effort to go at some point.

No 7 is my favourite but the whole set works well together.

Regards

George

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 11/01/2019 - 22:35
What I like about this set is the time it's taken to look for those compositions and not shot them square on
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 28-105mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 105mm - Pentax FA 35mm f2 - Tokina 20-35mm, Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr

My 500px

Sry

Link Posted 21/01/2019 - 21:36
Lovely set, I like the way you have looked at these rooms. The two fireplaces I really enjoy (warts and all in 6), and, as said by Gary above, the window pane distortion in 12 makes the shot intriguing - twilight zone territory. Love it!
Last Edited by Sry on 21/01/2019 - 21:37

darkskies

Link Posted 21/01/2019 - 22:04
They are all really well shot, my personal fave being #7.
This space deliberately left blank.

davidstorm

Link Posted 21/01/2019 - 22:53
Thanks to all for the most recent comments, your input is very helpful and appreciated.

Regards
David

Flickr

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.