Weekly Competition No.27 'Abstract Plant in MONO'

Nimitz

Link Posted 14/01/2008 - 18:29
Thanks Lilly. Yeah it was a plastic flower

Abstract

Congrats to MArtin - well deserved 2nd........

To bad iceblinker 1st
www.mieritz.net

lenscape

Link Posted 14/01/2008 - 19:12
Lilly, I don't want to cause a rumpus but I was wondering if you did the judging over different days. It strikes me that the comments on Clarky's picture are at odds with those of both Daniel's and Malo1961's. In Daniel's and Malo1961's you appear to like the dark background. In Clarky's you don't in ways that I think apply equally well to the other two.

What have I missed?

I didn't enter this week owing to lack of time but I did have time to see the results. Very impressive.
Lilly wrote:

Daniel Bridge: very dark and brooding image, reminds me of something from Star Wars, I like the dark background to this amazing shape but I find the out of focus blob at top distracting.

Clarky: I think this Iris/Lily had great potential for an abstract but 2 things bother me I think there is too much black space around it, as you know by now, I am not keen on isolating the image from its true background as I think it becomes more like a specimen. The left petal I feel is a bit hot and unbalances the image.

Malo1961: I like this Martin, like the black background and the way you have taken it side on, the stem grounds the shot, I like the juxtaposition of the seed heads reversed – very quirky, well exposed, good choice of DOF and good lighting. SECOND PLACE

lenscape
K20D, K10D, K-m, MZ3, Metz 58-AF1, Optio MX4 & Linux.(No Windows)
(Gone: *istD, ME Super, Super-A)

iceblinker

Link Posted 14/01/2008 - 19:14
Help! How do I make a thread "Sticky"?
~Pete

Malo1961

Link Posted 14/01/2008 - 19:19
Hi Iceblinker,
Congrats with your well deserved first 1st. Great picture which has everything in it to be a winner. The sticky part is done by JohnRiley.
Just post your new theme as a new topic.
Good luck judging the next round. I Will try to make your life misserable.
martin
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

iceblinker

Link Posted 14/01/2008 - 19:22
Thanks mate. I'm looking forward to it... I think!

New competition now set. Get thinking and clicking!
~Pete

Lilly

Link Posted 14/01/2008 - 20:17
lenscape wrote:
Lilly, I don't want to cause a rumpus but I was wondering if you did the judging over different days. It strikes me that the comments on Clarky's picture are at odds with those of both Daniel's and Malo1961's. In Daniel's and Malo1961's you appear to like the dark background. In Clarky's you don't in ways that I think apply equally well to the other two.

What have I missed?

I didn't enter this week owing to lack of time but I did have time to see the results. Very impressive.
Lilly wrote:

Daniel Bridge: very dark and brooding image, reminds me of something from Star Wars, I like the dark background to this amazing shape but I find the out of focus blob at top distracting.

Clarky: I think this Iris/Lily had great potential for an abstract but 2 things bother me I think there is too much black space around it, as you know by now, I am not keen on isolating the image from its true background as I think it becomes more like a specimen. The left petal I feel is a bit hot and unbalances the image.

Malo1961: I like this Martin, like the black background and the way you have taken it side on, the stem grounds the shot, I like the juxtaposition of the seed heads reversed – very quirky, well exposed, good choice of DOF and good lighting. SECOND PLACE

Read the three crititiques again carefully, look at the images again carefully and you will realise or may be not understand why dear Clarky's was not quite so acceptable as the other two.
If you still do not understand I will post a translation
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,

Utopia Poppy

Link Posted 14/01/2008 - 20:19
Thanks for the comments Lilly, I'm really pleased with my first K10D entry. The pixilation you mention was intentional and part of the filters applied to try and make the surface texture of the rose more abstract. Maybe I should have made in more obvious?

As for the colour, I agree it's a little strong but I wanted my first proper Pentax entry to have a bit of pizazz!

Thanks again for your comments, I enjoyed taking photos for this one!

Fiona
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep". ~Scott Adams

Q | Various Q lenses & filters | KP | 35mm 2.8 Macro

ronniebchristian

Link Posted 14/01/2008 - 22:40
Congratulations (or Commiserations should it be) to Iceblinker, like the new topic, hoping for some good weather to get some photos.

Lily as usual, good and useful critique, had great fun generating my resultant image using Elements, something I would not have tried without the competition. THANKS!

Ron

Clarky

Link Posted 15/01/2008 - 01:43
lenscape wrote:

What have I missed?

Lilly wrote:

I think what Lilly is saying in respect to my entry compared to Dans and Martins is she is not keen on my fabricated dark background and would also prefer a tighter crop
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

gartmore

Link Posted 15/01/2008 - 18:15
lenscape wrote:

What have I missed?

Lilly wrote:

Maybe we should have just one rule: 'The judge's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.'
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

promhandicam

Link Posted 15/01/2008 - 21:34
Thanks for your comments Lilly - I quite agree with not knowing where the point of focus was. For some reason it doesn't seem so noticeable in colour. Congratulations too to Iceblinker on your well deserved win.

Steve

ThePup

Link Posted 16/01/2008 - 09:17
Thanks for the kind words Lilly I Wondered if the fish was getting a little Off Topic for the challenge topic, but liked the pic enough to post it anyway...

lenscape

Link Posted 16/01/2008 - 10:10
gartmore wrote:

Maybe we should have just one rule: 'The judge's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.'

I wasn't questioning it. I just wanted to understand it.
lenscape
K20D, K10D, K-m, MZ3, Metz 58-AF1, Optio MX4 & Linux.(No Windows)
(Gone: *istD, ME Super, Super-A)
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.