Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Weekly competition #201 - Man-made (discussion thread)

Prieni
Posted 16/05/2011 - 19:28 Link
Quote:
And one major thing, absolutely NO post-processing of any kind, no crops, tints, sharpening, nowt. I'd like to see the pictures as your eye and your camera saw them.

Well, in an overwhelming majority of cases that is impossible.
As I shoot exclusively in RAW format I guess none of my images qualify. And if I would shoot in JPG then the Pentax engineers would have fiddled with the colours, contrast etc., so that also would not be without post processing...

If I switch off my bean counting mode, though, I do find it an interesting idea.
The question remains, however, where post processing starts/ends for you. Some ideas?

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
Pentaxophile
Posted 16/05/2011 - 19:40 Link
I think it's a bit OTT so if I enter I will probably interpret 'absolutely NO PP' as 'virtually no PP'

I shoot RAW, and I would be inclined to resize my shot for the competition rather than upload a massive file straight from my camera. Therefore I will need to make some tweaks, possibly using one of my own presets, and it is important to sharpen after the image is resampled.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Edited by Pentaxophile: 16/05/2011 - 19:41
matwhittington
Posted 16/05/2011 - 19:42 Link
My immediate thought was that I might interpret the 'no-PP' to mean that the image has to be produced only in the camera rather than having any manipulation once extracted from the memory card, but then i remembered that the K-7 (and I guess many other cameras) have a range of PP functions built in (filters.effects etc.).

Therefore perhaps a no-PP image is one which only uses the capabilities of the camera and any 'variables' (i.e. brightness, saturation etc.) which can be changed are set before the shutter is pressed; for an old-fashioned film image, a straight and unmanipulated scan:

Just my thoughts. I too find it an interesting idea, and a good, challenging one as well - especially for those (like me) who tend to use PP to a degree on almost all kept images.

Regards
Mat W

My Flickr: link
DanielH
Posted 16/05/2011 - 20:00 Link
I guessed the raw argument was coming after I'd posted it

So just shoot Jpeg for a few days why rule yourselves out??.

Preni as you probably know its not a bean counting exercise. All processing to be done within the camera and should your camera have raw-jpeg conversion or digital filters etc then use it. Get to know your tool, IMHO the Jpeg engine is rather good
Pentaxophile
Posted 16/05/2011 - 20:03 Link
What about sharpening after resizing?

You aren't doing it to counter any deficiency in your camera or technique (hopefully!) but restoring the sharpness which is lost when you resize an image. Resizing means the whole image is resampled, which softens what was previously sharp. Also undoes any in-camera sharpening!
DanielH
Posted 16/05/2011 - 20:33 Link
Sorry Will I don't really know much about RAW as ive never used it, just do what you need to do to accurately represent the scene you've shot
Prieni
Posted 16/05/2011 - 21:45 Link
Dan, I know that it is not a bean counting exercise and that's why I mentioned it.

My take is that if we go with your rules we might as well give sharpening on resizing a miss. (BTW: The interpolation mode does make a difference).

Use of camera filters seems to contradict the original intention of the theme, doesn't it?

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
Hyram
Posted 16/05/2011 - 22:05 Link
Hopefully in camera processing is ruled out, as I understand Pentax DSLR's later than mine can do all sorts of weird and wonderful things.

It is an interesting challenge, since I get used to thinking - "never mind about that stray object on the edge of the image, it can be cropped out / cloned out later"

Anyway I have entered a JPEG straight out of the camera at its original size in order to avoid any processing (but don't tell JR)
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Edited by Hyram: 16/05/2011 - 22:05
Pentaxophile
Posted 17/05/2011 - 07:50 Link
Hmm actually doesn't look too bad Hyram... maybe I'll throw caution to the wind and try the same method!
Edited by Pentaxophile: 17/05/2011 - 07:52
DanielH
Posted 17/05/2011 - 08:13 Link
Thanks for your entry Hyram I have played around a lot with the filters in my K-r and to be honest don't like them much!

[quote:3496ace15f="Prieni"]
Use of camera filters seems to contradict the original intention of the theme, doesn't it?

Yes you are right. My original intention was to see what you see, obviously you don,t see in black and white or fish eye!
Edited by DanielH: 17/05/2011 - 08:13
johnriley
Posted 17/05/2011 - 08:29 Link
Danny, now there are entries the discussion thread is traditionally out of bounds for the judge.

This is to remove any influence on the judge by what is or isn't being said here!
Best regards, John
marklj
Posted 17/05/2011 - 12:49 Link
At the time I posted my entry I didn't see anything about processing. I can see it says "update" so I'm assuming I'm not a numptie and those conditions weren't there. End of the day I've removed the picture as it no longer fits the rules.
Hyram
Posted 17/05/2011 - 13:22 Link
marklj wrote:
At the time I posted my entry I didn't see anything about processing. I can see it says "update" so I'm assuming I'm not a numptie and those conditions weren't there. End of the day I've removed the picture as it no longer fits the rules.

The update is just the first paragraph. The second paragraph remains as originally posted by dannyh.

Never mind - less than a week to the next competition
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
aliengrove
Posted 17/05/2011 - 13:46 Link
As the weekly competition can include photographs taken at any time (rather than during the duration of the comp as in the fortnightly competition) it puts those of us who only shoot raw at a disadvantage. It implies we all have to reset our cameras to jpeg, remove any sharpening settings, and take a picture specifically for this competition?
Pentaxophile
Posted 17/05/2011 - 13:48 Link
Can you copy a RAW file back onto an SD card and run it through the camera's default settings to make a jpeg?

aliengrove wrote:
It implies we all have to reset our cameras to jpeg, remove any sharpening settings, and take a picture specifically for this competition?

As I understand it you can have in-camera sharpening / filters / colour modes so long as they're preselected. Before you take the shot.
Edited by Pentaxophile: 17/05/2011 - 13:49

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.