Weekly #251 Focus and rejuvenation Discussion

davidstorm

Link Posted 01/05/2012 - 23:23
bforbes wrote:
But what difference is manual focus meant to make to the image. If it's in focus it's in focus

It's just a competition theme Barrie! Nothing too deep about it but I wanted to see shots taken with older manual focus lenses which demonstrate skill in manually focussing which can't be demonstrated with auto-focussing! I like to see manual focussing used creatively.

I do understand that many people won't enter, but I have not set out to upset anyone and most people on the site don't enter most of the competitions anyway. Hope this makes sense!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

japers45

Link Posted 02/05/2012 - 06:48
What a fuss !

David won the competition last week so he gets to choose this weeks theme.

I would say the theme is very clear and easy to understand.

If I win I'm going to make the following weeks competition "pictures of my house" and not give out the address.

Dodge69

Link Posted 02/05/2012 - 08:35
LOL couldn't agree more, also very surprising comments suggesting Pentax users wouldn't be using old manual focus lenses, as they are the best you can get without spending £700+ IMO
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

bforbes

Link Posted 02/05/2012 - 09:09
If I win I will only accept pictures from a 645D of the Falklands.
I know the winner gets to choose, but the competition is about the image not the equipment.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

johnriley

Link Posted 02/05/2012 - 09:43
Quote:
also very surprising comments suggesting Pentax users wouldn't be using old manual focus lenses

They might if they were all enthusiast photographers, but try asking the more casual camera buyer and they would probably wonder why we bothered.

We have a very broad spectrum of members from complete beginners to pretty sharp experienced photographers.
Best regards, John

Charlotte

Link Posted 02/05/2012 - 10:49
johnriley wrote:
All the people you are envisaging there are the older photographers who have used manual focus lenses. Newer photographers won't even think of it, not unless prompted by forums like this, and then only a small percentage are likely to take it up.

However, we will see.

I'm new to photography and can't afford the new point and shoot lenses so the vast majority of my lenses are old manual focus ones. The main reason I chose a pentax was because of the fact I would be able to afford old lenses to use.

What with people arguing with judges decisions, accusations of sexism because of poor translation, quibbling about the time a competition is supposed to close because of a confusion over the clocks changing and now disagreements over someone's choice of competition - it's no wonder the number of competition entries seem to be falling in numbers.
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

prsjnb

Link Posted 02/05/2012 - 10:55
A thought-provoking and challenging choice of theme, David

Just hoping that I'm man enough for the job: despite my wife's frequent and public assertions to the contrary

Jon

gartmore

Link Posted 02/05/2012 - 11:06
Charlotte wrote:
johnriley wrote:
All the people you are envisaging there are the older photographers who have used manual focus lenses. Newer photographers won't even think of it, not unless prompted by forums like this, and then only a small percentage are likely to take it up.

However, we will see.

I'm new to photography and can't afford the new point and shoot lenses so the vast majority of my lenses are old manual focus ones. The main reason I chose a pentax was because of the fact I would be able to afford old lenses to use.

What with people arguing with judges decisions, accusations of sexism because of poor translation, quibbling about the time a competition is supposed to close because of a confusion over the clocks changing and now disagreements over someone's choice of competition - it's no wonder the number of competition entries seem to be falling in numbers.

It is precisely the choice in this competition that led some of us to fear that numbers would by necessity fall.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

TOZZA27

Link Posted 02/05/2012 - 11:18
Wooah Ken - it`s hardly a membership requirement is it ?
It`s a one week comp and is no more restrictive than any other subject depending on the location and mood of the photographer entering.
As John R said there are "older" members with manual focus gear and as Charlotte said " the joy of Pentax is the compatibility of older lenses".
As you can see from my list previously I have many collected over 20 odd years and the most expensive one I own cost about £100 ( Sigma 28-300 new )
I really do not see the correlation between subject matter and equipment as a deterrent for a weekly comp - were we battling for a ££££ prize or a Diploma then I might find it restrictive - I enter if I think I have a worthy shot and enjoy doing so for the experience and comments - no more no less.
No manual lens ??? Miss one week then - it hardly "turns me against Pentax or the PUF"

Sincerely

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

johnriley

Link Posted 02/05/2012 - 11:25
Steady on folks, it's not a point of contention, just a concern that people should be included in a general sense, not excluded. As a general principle, that is in keeping with the ethos of things.

It would be a similar concern to exclude people by having a "Fish-eye lens shots" competition, which likewise would limit those who could enter.

It was a question, no more and no less, so let's not get it out of proportion.
Best regards, John

JAK

Link Posted 02/05/2012 - 11:31
+1

I can't see any issue with this. I may have a trawl through my old slides and see what I can come up with.

John
John K

DrOrloff

Link Posted 02/05/2012 - 11:44
Good to see a topic generating a bit of discussion for a change.

My advice, if you're one of the many Pentaxians who have a manual focus lens, put it on your camera and take a photo in your garden, find a baby, that king of thing. If it's too much, just wait for a week and there will be another competition, who knows, maybe we can have a week hunting round Worcester.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

Dodge69

Link Posted 02/05/2012 - 12:30
You can't have a competition with rules ie a subject theme, and expect not to exclude people and their potential entries. It's part and parcel therefore cannot really be a 'concern'?

Are people really excluded? Not from enjoying the results, be they few or many. If these older lenses are one of Pentax's best selling points, then the best potential here is hopefully showing what can be achieved with these lenses, to new, old or even potential users.

Now if only I had a manual lens shot that was comfortable with the theme... d'oh!

Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

dougf8

Link Posted 02/05/2012 - 12:36
There is a MF setting on my camera, seems to turn AF lenses to manual.

If the deadline is 18:30 I'll enter a shot from my lovely new/old Vivitar 135mm

I.e. after I get in from work and before other duties.
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 02/05/2012 - 12:40

Frogherder

Link Posted 02/05/2012 - 12:39
Quote:
who knows, maybe we can have a week hunting round Worcester.

Now that could be restrictive.

Query - I assume it doesn't have to be a Pentax manual lens, so any old M42 (+adapter) with glass in it will do - it may not win - but it meets the criteria.

So I'm off to find a suitable subject

Bernard
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.