Wear on Limited Lenses

rickhanson

Link Posted 12/05/2022 - 11:45
I'm a nightmare for chopping and changing my gear, so to keep the cost down of doing so I buy a lot of second hand equipment. Often what lets Limited lenses down a little is wear on the engineered grip of the focus ring or other milled sections, as in the anodizing has worn off, rather than the aluminum damaged.

Has anyone convincingly managed to touch this in before with something that lasts? I've had various goes in the past, but it never looks 100%.

Or is it a case you just embrace the lens has history?

This 70mm I've just purchase is pretty much perfect in every other aspect, just that wear niggles me.

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/05/2022 - 12:49
Never had that problem but what does wind me up with (most) pentax cameras is that they paint the hotshoe black. Just mount a flash a couple of times and it looks terrible.
. My Flickr

rickhanson

Link Posted 12/05/2022 - 13:04
Quote:
Just mount a flash a couple of times and it looks terrible.

Yeah seen the consequence of that, would drive me crazy looking at scrapes along the hotshoe mount.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 12/05/2022 - 13:13
I knew a Pro Photographer many years ago who would put thick rubber bands round the focus ring on his lenses - he said he preferred the grip it gave him and preserved the actual focus ring. I know that doesn't help this particular problem does does offer an option if/when you buy any more lenses
LennyBloke

rickhanson

Link Posted 12/05/2022 - 13:21
Quote:
thick rubber bands round the focus ring on his lenses

It's a good shout for anyone wanting to preserve the value of their lenses.

redbusa99

Link Posted 12/05/2022 - 14:07
i think with ally you need to use an etch primer that gives the surface for the paint to key to
odd lens or 2

Flickr

rickhanson

Link Posted 12/05/2022 - 14:28
Quote:
I think with ally you need to use an etch primer that gives the surface for the paint to key to

Thank you

May be this product might do it 'Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black Touch-Up Pen', used for gun restoration.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 12/05/2022 - 14:39
I see that wear on all my Limiteds. TBH I don't think it'll be possible to restore them properly and protecting them fully means babying the equipment to such a degree that they would be difficult to use properly.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

rickhanson

Link Posted 12/05/2022 - 14:49
Quote:
babying the equipment to such a degree that they would be difficult to use properly

I should probably worry less about how they look and just crack on enjoying using them, I hold my hands up I'm guilty of being a perfectionist for things like this.
Last Edited by rickhanson on 12/05/2022 - 16:18

womble

Link Posted 12/05/2022 - 15:30
I'd call it patina and embrace the wear! Bits of the pentaprism on my K-3iii have worn like that, but it doesn't really bother me. It would be nicer if it was brass underneath!
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.