Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Water on the camera...camera not working now!

fleck03
Posted 09/05/2019 - 22:56 Link
I was shooting yesterday in Cinque Terre, Italy... I was standing seaside taking photos of the beautiful coast for 20 minutes... not a drop of water even touched my feet... out of nowhere a huge wave crashed on the dock and got water all over me and my K-3 with 16-85 Pentax DA, WR lens... I was soaked... the K3 was soaked but not submersed other than a crashing wave over my head/body/camera! I thought it was fine, but upon use over the next hour or so, every picture, even in super bright sunshine, gave me a lengthy shutter speed — like 2”- 4” or longer... and because of that every picture is SUPER OVEREXPOSED! I’ve tried manual, AV, TV, Auto — all settings, everything is overexposed and bright, bright ... i’ve tried many lenses on and it happens with every lens — so likely a body issue, not lens...

Any suggestions on what to do? Is the sensor shot now? Can this be fixed?
Welcome ideas on what to do... (Unfortunately) I’m on a cruise so my options are somewhat limited at the moment... ughhhh!
RobL
Posted 09/05/2019 - 23:13 Link
It sounds as if either the shutter or the lens aperture control is working too slowly so with luck a temporary mechanical issue. I can only suggest for now you take the lens off and let the body have a chance to properly dry out somewhere.
alfpics
Posted 09/05/2019 - 23:23 Link
And take the battery out - a good idea as well. Was the flash cover on? I ask as a few years back my K3ii got wet and stopped working for a few hours and I suspect the water got in through the flash-gun mount. A few hours of drying and it has been fine since.
Andy
fleck03
Posted 09/05/2019 - 23:55 Link
Flash cover was on...
alfpics
Posted 10/05/2019 - 08:12 Link
Let's hope it dries itself out, although if salt water has got in, that isn't good news
Andy
Mike-P
Posted 10/05/2019 - 09:50 Link
If you on a cruise then go to the Kitchen and ask for a large bag of dry rice. Put the body cap on and put the camera in there for a day or two. Has worked for me before on numerous items but I would imagine salt water will be the killer blow unfortunately.
geordie01
Posted 10/05/2019 - 12:22 Link
I thought the camera and lens were weather sealed
Mannesty
Posted 10/05/2019 - 13:00 Link
geordie01 wrote:
I thought the camera and lens were weather sealed

A crashing wave could hardly be described as weather
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
geordie01
Posted 10/05/2019 - 14:21 Link
I rolled a kayak with a K30 and wr lens on the deck and it was fine.
OldTaffy
Posted 10/05/2019 - 16:15 Link
It sounds as if salt water got in somewhere, and that could be a big problem. Merely drying out won't get rid of the sodium chloride.

An anecdote from an ex-boss: he was at a marine research institution in Chile when a tsunami swamped all the labs, fortunately while the staff were all out. All electonic equipment was drenched in seawater. However, some of the better made stuff, like Tektronix oscilloscopes, were then soaked for some days in several changes of tap water, followed by distilled water and when they were dried out they worked again pretty well.

Whether a soak in distilled/de-ionised water is permissible for a camera I don't know.
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
AlanC1
Posted 16/01/2020 - 18:52 Link
Anything new on this thread? I have a K3ii with similar problems after an encounter with sea water. Shutter, mirror & AF non-functional. The rest still works. Deemed uneconomical to repair by the agents.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.