Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Warning on the dangers inherent in trying to use SD cards as your "permanent storage" medium!

barkin
Posted 17/12/2019 - 13:03 Link
JAK wrote:

I did notice Google seem to automatically back up any photos on an android phone to their servers whether you like it or not.

Not so. It can do, or you can turn it off...
JAK
Posted 17/12/2019 - 14:16 Link
barkin wrote:
Not so. It can do, or you can turn it off...

You know that, I know that, but not until you find out they're doing it.
John K
Don
Posted 17/12/2019 - 15:14 Link
JAK wrote:
Another issue with cloud storage is that the company providing it might just stop doing so with little or no warning! Or you may miss a payment or two and loose access. BTs cloud storage systems have gone through several incarnations which were simply dropped and replaced. I wouldn't trust another with anything important.
I did notice Google seem to automatically back up any photos on an android phone to their servers whether you like it or not.
The normal recommendation is to keep incremental backups and an off-site backup of important data and schedule to update that too. I doubt many home users do all that though.

cloud storage is only for stuff you want to share...
I wish like hell companies like apple would have a "social media" folder in thier apps where you could put specific images and ONLY those images would be accessible by apps that have online connections.
I have a nas drive with a sharing folder that I use for some projects that require online editors to collaborate on and early on I got burned a few times with stolen images being used without payment so I tend to keep all my good stuff offline and under my control.
with apple, they burned me TWICE once with iWeb, and again with Aperture.
I agree NEVER trust all your files to a cloud, because the minute they decide to change things on their end... you're likely gonna find yourself buying hard drives to download copies to anyways, or having to port your system or buy new software at thier mercy at some point...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
RobL
Posted 18/12/2019 - 08:26 Link
I only keep JPEGs in a folder on my iMac, which get uploaded to the cloud, but the originals are loaded directly onto an SSD and backed up monthly to a hard drive. I do this because I don’t want my cloud cluttered up with RAW files which get deleted during the selection process, as I assume that if I delete photos from the computer folder they will be retained in the cloud.

Concerning hard drive storage I had one fail about a year ago with all my back-up and archive stuff for work, it was an electronic glitch rather than a physical fail. Luckily the iMac has a recovery programme which managed to download all the “lost” files into a new folder, it took all day but I was mightily relieved. Having made two copies of the recovery folder with one on a new HDD I reformatted the old one and reloaded everything and it is now disconnected and kept in a cupboard just in case.
Pentaxophile
Posted 29/12/2019 - 20:07 Link
I have a folder on my hard drive that is synced to Dropbox, so there are two copies of each file, one local and one online. One cool thing is you can select and download previous versions of a file from Dropbox.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Robert42
Posted 05/01/2020 - 11:56 Link
I backup all my data files, including photos to 3 places - 2 external desktop HDDs and a NAS device. I have also used Blueray discs, but as they seem to be dying a death I will be looking for something else when the drives eventually give up. As a previous poster said SD cards are only for tranferring from Camera to PC.
Robert
K70 from SRS - Learning how to get the best from K70 and my existing glass.
Edited by Robert42: 05/01/2020 - 12:00
jeallen01
Posted 05/01/2020 - 21:36 Link
Well!

My original post said "Not much more to say on this - except READ THIS ! " - but that, from what people have since posted (!), that seems not to be the case

Thus, please do keep posting your comments and "experiences"
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Jetsam1
Posted 10/03/2020 - 10:14 Link
Still an issue after so many years....... I have multiple external hard drives but I haven't been using the cameras very much over the last couple of years have got out of the habit of religiously backing up.

Will have to think about it at some point as my computers are getting old and there isn't much money to do a lot about that so failure rate is expected to increase quite a bit then! I am philosophical about it really.
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!
Benz3ne
Posted 10/03/2020 - 11:26 Link
Jetsam1 wrote:
Still an issue after so many years....... I have multiple external hard drives but I haven't been using the cameras very much over the last couple of years have got out of the habit of religiously backing up.

Will have to think about it at some point as my computers are getting old and there isn't much money to do a lot about that so failure rate is expected to increase quite a bit then! I am philosophical about it really.

Computers getting old typically isn't an issue. If you're concerned about the longevity of the hard drives, buy another one (HDDs are cheap), backup there and then you've a new hard drive in case your current one clocks out.
Thereafter it's easy to install an OS on the new hard drive and you're up and running again.
As always, giving your CPU a clean and chucking on some new thermal paste makes a big difference and is cheap. Same goes for replacing a CPU cooler and fan assembly. RAM is less inexpensive and is one of the first aspects to go but you can get by with a couple of 4Gb sticks which shouldn't cost the earth, especially if you only use the computer for transferring/storing files!
Jetsam1
Posted 10/03/2020 - 11:48 Link
Getting the other side of 10 years for them though!! My main computer is needing an appraisal as it hit the floor to see if it is worth repairing (2012 Macbook Pro). I am giving Linux a long term test at the moment before committing any which way. Can't go back to Windows easily due to HDD formatting fun.

The USB powered 1TB and above portable hard drives work nicely for me,
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.