Wanted: Cheap K series digital body

Kim C

Link Posted 12/10/2018 - 12:56
I'm looking for a cheap K series digital body. It can be any one that was made before the K50. It doesn't need to function as a camera but it must be able to power up so I can get into the menu and be able to write to the SD card. Basically, I need a body I can use to convert some DA* lenses to screwdrive.

I would also be interested in a K30, K50 or other suffering the aperture block problem.

HarisF1

Link Posted 12/10/2018 - 13:34
I bought a k100d a while ago with a broken 55-300 attached. I sold the broken lens for parts, making the k100d 'free'. The camera itself was described as not working with a 'memory card error'.

It turned out that the older cameras can't use newer cards so an old 4gb card was perfectly fine. The camera worked pretty well and I have converted maybe 3 or 4 lenses with it.

And in case you're wondering, even the SD card isn't needed. The changes take a little bit longer through the debug menu but are definitely doable. It took maybe 7 or 8 mins to convert my first lens this way.

Kim C

Link Posted 12/10/2018 - 13:37
HarisF1 wrote:
I bought a k100d a while ago with a broken 55-300 attached. I sold the broken lens for parts, making the k100d 'free'. The camera itself was described as not working with a 'memory card error'.

It turned out that the older cameras can't use newer cards so an old 4gb card was perfectly fine. The camera worked pretty well and I have converted maybe 3 or 4 lenses with it.

And in case you're wondering, even the SD card isn't needed. The changes take a little bit longer through the debug menu but are definitely doable. It took maybe 7 or 8 mins to convert my first lens this way.

Just the sort of "deal" I'm looking for.

walt

Link Posted 12/10/2018 - 14:40
Kim C wrote:
I'm looking for a cheap K series digital body. It can be any one that was made before the K50. It doesn't need to function as a camera but it must be able to power up so I can get into the menu and be able to write to the SD card. Basically, I need a body I can use to convert some DA* lenses to screwdrive.

I would also be interested in a K30, K50 or other suffering the aperture block problem.

Are you sure the K30 or K50 can write the data back to the lens? If that's what you want it for. I thought I tried that with my K30 and found it didn't work. I would be interested to hear back if the K30 can be used to rewrite the lens data.
Walt
Flickr
Picasa

Kim C

Link Posted 12/10/2018 - 14:50
walt wrote:
Kim C wrote:

Are you sure the K30 or K50 can write the data back to the lens? If that's what you want it for. I thought I tried that with my K30 and found it didn't work. I would be interested to hear back if the K30 can be used to rewrite the lens data.

I have heard the K30 can be used for the lens hack.
But also interested in trying to fix a aperture block problem.

HarisF1

Link Posted 12/10/2018 - 15:09
Quote:

Ah, another DIYer like me

Kim C

Link Posted 12/10/2018 - 15:15
HarisF1 wrote:
Quote:

Ah, another DIYer like me

Have you not seen all the repair articles on my website?
Or my "conversions of FSU lenses?

lol

HarisF1

Link Posted 12/10/2018 - 15:55
Haha I hadn't

I'll have to read a bit!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.