Want to buy PHOTO printer

JBmagician

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 01:24
I am looking to buy a Photo printer. I want to do 8 x 10 as well as 4 x 6 & 5 x 7. I understand Epson is the way to go.

Any suggestions? What is everyone using?
http://johnbonenfant.zenfolio.com/

Aero

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 02:19
My last three photo printers have been Epsons, most recently the R265. They've all produced top-notch A4 prints when used with Epson's own papers and inks and all cost under £100.

Ink costs are a little high (the best part of £60 for all six Claria inks for the R265) but I've used compatibles in the past from Premier Ink and they've been just as good, although longevity with the compatibles is a bit of an unknown.

Friends of mine use vastly more expensive Epson A3 printers and a comparison of output shows no discernable difference between their A4 prints and mine.

A4s take a good few minutes to produce, but I just go off and have a coffee or do something else while it's printing.

Being lazy by nature, I use an uncalibrated iiyama monitor, with Serif PhotoPlus for editing, and the results equal anything you'd get from a photo lab. Customers for the odd print I sell are delighted.

Based on experience, I would expect Epson's latest "value"
offering, the P50, to be just as good (although I stand to be corrected).

Al

StephenLewis

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 02:22
I have 3 Epson printers, an Action Laser 1500 (monochrome) that I purchased in 1991 and still use, as well as 2 photo colour printers. An Artisan 700, used for printing on discs and short run 5X7 and 8x10's and a Stylus Pro 4880. The 4880 will take sheet fed but I use roll stock and can print to paper width of 17 inches by whatever the length of the roll. All printers are used often and I haven't had any problems to date. I admit the Artisan appears to use a fair amount of ink, but the 4880 ink consumption is very economical if used constantly, or for long runs (large print jobs).
Yes, I suppose I'm biased, but I highly recommend Epson.
Hope this is some help.

Stephen
I gladly welcome C & C's. Being foggy minded they really help me learn.

womble

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 07:46
Perhaps a kind mod could move this to a more appropriate section of the forum? Thanks, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

snappychappy

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 07:50
I use a Canon IP4700 it has had excellent reviews, the compatable ink's are very good, I can recommended it.
My piccies.

DoctorJeff

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 11:37
I still use an ancient (matches me quite well) Canon i560.
The big things seem to be in the size (A3 or A4 as required - and I can get 10x8 from A4) and the number of ink tanks. Mine has 3 separate tanks + black, others have more and are almost certainly better. Of course, the size of the ink droplets does have an effect on quality of output as well.
Do the research, make the decision - live with it!
Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...

Anvh

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 12:47
snappychappy wrote:
I use a Canon IP4700 it has had excellent reviews, the compatable ink's are very good, I can recommended it.

I've the IP4500 and I can say the same thing.

It's a simple printer and the quality of the prints are often very good, also the drivers works very well on Windows 7 64bit. I had quite some problems with that from HP printers sadly, I couldn't get the printer to work.

I'm however drawn to the high quality photo printers from Epson though, the new ones comes with a build in calibration I believe.
But in the lower price range I doubt there will be much difference between Canon or Epson.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 07/10/2010 - 12:50
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.