Vista Competition - those that failed to make the cut...

hefty1

Link Posted 24/10/2008 - 23:10
I went out on Wednesday to one of my favourite locations in order to take some pictures for the new bi-weekly competition (Vistas) and ended up with 135 shots to sort through.

So after weeding out the ones that obviously weren't vista-esque (I couldn't resist a few flowers, leaves, buildings, etc) and those that just weren't very good, I ended up with just four and I've been pondering them ever since. Anyway, I finally chose one to enter which I'll stick with (see competition section) but I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks I would have been better off with one of these three instead?

C&C most welcome as ever!

Joining the Q

fatspider

Link Posted 25/10/2008 - 00:05
I suppose I'm well known for saying it like it is....

And once again I'm not going to dissapoint anyone (except maybe Hefty)

These are all competent shots but lack a point of interest, they would ALL benefit from a figure in them somwhere or other, take a tripod next time Hefty, you could have easily sprinted down to the bench in the third shot before the shutter fired

PS: I think there is a figure or two in the second shot but theyre too insignificant to add anything.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

hefty1

Link Posted 25/10/2008 - 00:33
I'm far from disappointed, I'm always keen to listen to other peoples' views.

You raise an interesting point about having people in photos though; I know most folks seem keen to include a little "human interest" but I've never understood why?

I go to great lengths to exclude people (it gives me a sense that the scene's all mine) - take that second shot for example; I had to wait ages for there to be no wandering members of the public in my sights before I pressed the shutter (those in the background are actually statues so I'd have had a very long wait for them to clear off! ).

Shots 1 & 3 also involved a great deal of patience waiting for the benches to clear before the pictures were taken (actually, I just kept walking past those spots and doing some flower macros whilst I bided my time).

So are there any others out there who think the presence of people ruins an otherwise perfectly good picture or am I, as I suspect, on my own on this one?
Joining the Q

mikew

Link Posted 25/10/2008 - 07:13
I'm totally with Hefty - why include people unless you need to for a purpose? By including people your viewer is drawn to examine them and in this case it's the scene that's the subject.

You wouldn't include a person in an abstract and I'd say a good landscape is pretty much an abstract in many ways.

Personally I find it very hard to take a satisfying landscape which brings me to the photographs. I'd agree that their composition doesn't really have a focus or structure to lead the eye and satisfy the viewer. Of the three the last one is best in my opinion - but I think I might clone out the bench and those bird boxes.

Mike

Mike-P

Link Posted 25/10/2008 - 07:37
Sorry to say this but if I am doing a landscape type picture (Which is actually very rare) I will always wait until there are no people in the shot if at all possible because I am trying to show the area itself and people in it would only detract from that.
. My Flickr

fatspider

Link Posted 25/10/2008 - 08:14
I couldn't agree more with you guys, I even wait for people to leave the frame myself, there are many times when they would ruin a shot, the point I was making with Heftys shots was the general lack of a focal point, and in each case a person, or even a statue would have given us just that. I have dozens of shots just like these (well TBH I have hundreds )

Quote:
but I think I might clone out the bench and those bird boxes.

I quite like the bench
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

hefty1

Link Posted 25/10/2008 - 10:25
So would this sort of thing be better?

I had discounted it (and many similar ones) on the basis that the focal point (statues in this case) distracted from the overall scene. Maybe I've got the wrong definition of vista in my head? Must dust off my dictionary...
Joining the Q

womble

Link Posted 25/10/2008 - 11:37
Personally I like the first one with the bench apart from the blown out sky to the top right, but I also like the latest one with the statues. Sometimes people add to the shot, sometimes they detract. Hikers in bright waterproofs stomping across the scene just get in the way!

A vista is:
1. a view or prospect, esp. one seen through a long, narrow avenue or passage, as between rows of trees or houses.
2. such an avenue or passage, esp. when formally planned.
3. a far-reaching mental view: vistas of the future.

From that definition I am not sure any of the shots submitted so far are vistas!

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Lilly

Link Posted 25/10/2008 - 11:42
womble wrote:

A vista is:
1. a view or prospect, esp. one seen through a long, narrow avenue or passage, as between rows of trees or houses.
2. such an avenue or passage, esp. when formally planned.
3. a far-reaching mental view: vistas of the future.

From that definition I am not sure any of the shots submitted so far are vistas!

Cheers, Kris.

How interesting Kris, it HAS been bothering me what a VISTA is compared to a general view, I have been scratching my head as to what to go for, I now have a better idea, thank you!
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,
Last Edited by Lilly on 25/10/2008 - 11:43

hefty1

Link Posted 25/10/2008 - 11:58
That is interesting actually, so it looks like the one I eventually chose (by luck rather than judgement) is the only one of mine that vaguely fits the definition - given that it's a view between long rows of trees. Cheers for that Kris!
Joining the Q

serendipity

Link Posted 25/10/2008 - 12:41
I felt excluded because I'm on XP?

Mick

K10D,K100D Super.

Unlocker

Link Posted 25/10/2008 - 13:48
Got almost identical shots myself, but can't use them in the comp though as they were taken in spring (also doing flower macros surprise surprise!). Must revisit Waddesdon Manor though as when we went in spring all the statues were covered up!

Still we will have plenty of photo opportunities there in February as that is our wedding venue! (Well, the Dairy in the grounds, but we can use the Manor for photos weather dependent!)

Good idea for a panoramic shot Hefty, really near by is the windmill in Quainton, you can go up about 3 floors, stand outside and the view is absolutely amazing for miles around!

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

hefty1

Link Posted 25/10/2008 - 14:06
I didn't think of Quainton windmill - must go up there sometime.

Waddesdon was glorious on Wednesday; the sun was shining, the air was still, the tourists were low in number and all the trees were on the turn. Certainly one of my favourite venues! By coincidence, the bride at the wedding I was best man at back in April works at the Dairy - they didn't use it as a venue though because she didn't want to get married "at work", hence it took place at Notley Abbey instead (also a good venue photo-wise if you get a chance to pop over there). I have to say though, that I would personally prefer the Dairy given the choice.

Serendipity: It could be worse, think of how all those Mac users feel...
Joining the Q

womble

Link Posted 25/10/2008 - 14:40
Lilly wrote:

How interesting Kris, it HAS been bothering me what a VISTA is compared to a general view, I have been scratching my head as to what to go for, I now have a better idea, thank you!

Thank Hefty really, he inspired me to check a dictionary!

Happy snapping all. K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Unlocker

Link Posted 25/10/2008 - 15:50
Have to agree, the Dairy is one hell of a venue, and we could only manage to afford it having a special rate for February, on a Wednesday! It's one of the only venues in the country where you can get married both outside, and over the water, so here's hoping for no rain! Would really love it to snow though as they will be lighting the log fires and serving mulled wine!

Quainton windmill did surprise us though as we didn't realise that it was still a working mill. Wind was blowing while we were there, and it is a surprise to feel a building wobble! You can see all the machinery doing it's stuff which was very interesting, and the best bit is the old guys that keep it going are very friendly and only charge £1 to go and have a nose!

Promise to pull my finger out and post some photos, gonna try and get my head round Photoshop and have my first go at a panorama using the hand held shots I took from the balcony!

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.