Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Vintage Vivitar Macro (image heavy)

davidwozhere
Posted 03/05/2017 - 01:26 Link
I finally managed to get hold of a hen's tooth in the form of a Vivitar f2.8 55mm 1:1 macro lens.
Here are a few initial shots with it on a K3-ii. A lot to learn yet but its reputation is certainly upheld so far......

It's sharp wide open - you just don't get much DoF. only one edge of this dhalia is in focus. The rendering is rich and vibrant
Comment Image

Stopped down it makes a very good job of things
Comment Image

Bees are hard to focus on generally but this bokeh is wonderful !
Comment Image

Taken with the same lens, this is just to show what the actual plant looks like. It's a common saxifrage.
In common with most macro lenses it does non-macro well too.
Comment Image

Three of a single saxifrage flower with varied lighting. You'd never think that plant was so pretty !
Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

The only downside is just six blades, which gives a slightly harsh, hexagonal OOF 'circle'

And some more of that lovely bokeh
Comment Image

Comment Image

With some closer detail
Comment Image

I'm getting slightly worried that my other macro lenses are going to be made redundant.
Your comments are welcome.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
HarisF1
Posted 03/05/2017 - 01:46 Link
Lovely images with creamy bokeh.

I quite like the hexagonal bokeh patterns. They add a 'digital/futuristic' feel to the shots if you know what I mean.
All the gear with no idea
derek897
Posted 03/05/2017 - 07:57 Link
HarisF1 wrote:
Lovely images with creamy bokeh.

I quite like the hexagonal bokeh patterns. They add a 'digital/futuristic' feel to the shots if you know what I mean.

Yep, same as that. I think there are times that hex bokeh will work for you.
And love the creamy close up bokeh.
I know what i like, If not always why.
johnriley
Posted 03/05/2017 - 09:01 Link
The lens has a good reputation. The review in Photo Technique in the 1970s was positively glowing.
Best regards, John
Edited by johnriley: 03/05/2017 - 09:01
alfpics
Posted 03/05/2017 - 09:08 Link
A nice set David. Looks like you have a gem there!
Andy
McGregNi
Posted 03/05/2017 - 17:07 Link
Yes it looks a gem for sure .... Punchy tones, contrasty and smooth as smooth in the background. Some good examples and explanation, thanks David.

I was tempted recently by a Tamron 90mm SP2 with it's 1:1 adapter, all as new and boxed, but at 120 pounds it was too much at present. But for macro the old lenses are never any compromise..
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
PeterKR
Posted 03/05/2017 - 17:33 Link
Great set of shots, David - your persistence in pursuing this lens has certainly paid off well.

I also admire your dedication to superb Macro work with the 'oldies'.

Best regards
Peter
davidwozhere
Posted 04/05/2017 - 01:13 Link
Thank you for your kind words -- I think a lot is due to the lens rather than me.
The grey mottled effect on the 'studio' shots is crumpled kitchen foil sufficiently far back to be well out of focus. The lighting was with a super penlight gadget called 'the illuminator'. Amazon sell them for about 24. Bit expensive for a penlight but they really are the business!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.