Vintage motorsport: Oulton Park, July 18

simonarron

Link Posted 20/07/2015 - 22:26
A few odds and sods from Oulton Park last weekend. Nice to see George Carman (carmagw), albeit very briefly. If there is any appetite for a PU outing to a racetrack, let me know and I'll see what I can do to secure a ticket or three...

1 - Cheshire sky (K-5 IIs, Tamron 17-50)

2 - Commitment (K-3, Tamron 70-200)

3 - Air spray (K=5 IIs, DA300)

4 - Correct heagear (K-5 IIs, DA300)

5 - Jolly burgundy giant (K-3, Tamron 70-200)

6 - The ides of arch (K-5 IIds, DA300)

7 - Ptimed for action (K-5 IIs, Tamro 17-50)
Last Edited by simonarron on 20/07/2015 - 22:31

simonarron

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 06:09
Erm, apologies for the finger trouble. Don't know how strong last night's Sauvignon Blanc must have been, but I seem not to have been typing straight (and it's now too late to edit the opening post). Caption 4 should of course say 'Correct headgear' and #7 'Primed for action'. Pretty poor effort, given my profession...

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 06:32
These are very fine. I particularly like the sepia conversions.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

swarf

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 09:23
Simon

Another great set - #2 is my favourite, it's the lean of his head that makes it for me. I also like the conversions.

However, now to be really picky. 'Correct Headgear' - really? Would they have been wearing any form of helmet when these cars were in their prime?

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

simonarron

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 09:57
swarf wrote:

However, now to be really picky. 'Correct Headgear' - really? Would they have been wearing any form of helmet when these cars were in their prime?

A fair point, Phil. Some drivers wore primitive crash helmets in the 1930s, others opted for cloth bonnets and some were 'protected' only by goggles. Modern open-face helmets look vaguely appropriate, though, and I only ever convert to mono if the driver is thus attired. I also tend not to shoot old cars if they are smothered with GoPros, although these can quite easily be cloned out...

SRHphoto

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 11:23
Nicely done Simon - love the VSCC!

I'd certainly be up for a PU meeting at a race track (home and work commitments permitting) although reasistically Oulton Park and Cadwell Park are as far south as I could go.

Hopefully, I'll finally get to meet you if you're still heading up to Croft for the Nostalgia Weekend.

Cheers,

Simon.

simonarron

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 11:43
SRHphoto wrote:
Hopefully, I'll finally get to meet you if you're still heading up to Croft for the Nostalgia Weekend.

It's on my schedule, Simon. It's about 250 miles each way for me, but that's no deterrent. The racing schedule is similar on both days, but Sunday appeals particularly because the Vulcan is due to fly past...

carmagw

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 17:49
A very fine set Simon, wouldn't want to pick a favourite from these.

No 2 Commitment does make me smile, I was impressed with the number of drivers who were at the limit of their car / ability with numerous cars sliding wide around the corners. A very enjoyable day.

If there was to be a PU outing to a racetrack then I would be keen subject to family commitments not getting in the way.

Regards

George

bforbes

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 18:13
simonarron wrote:
SRHphoto wrote:

It's on my schedule, Simon. It's about 250 miles each way for me, but that's no deterrent. The racing schedule is similar on both days, but Sunday appeals particularly because the Vulcan is due to fly past...

Hopfully I would be able to make Croft on the Sunday
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

droopsnoot

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 18:45
I'd be up for something at Oulton at some point, I'll be at the Gold Cup at the end of August in any case as we have a display spot there. I was thinking about going to this event, by the time I'd got myself organised it was a bit late to be worth it.
Real name: Mike Edwards. My homage to seventies Vauxhalls: www.firenza.net

Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror

gfurm

Link Posted 27/07/2015 - 15:48
Very nice photos.

I wanted to go but my mean boss wouldn't give me saturday off. Thought I will go on sunday just for displays and it was raining, typical.
Pentax K-3 II, DA 50/1.8, Sigma 18-35/1.8, DA* 300/4, 1.4x HD DA Converter
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.