Vintage M42 Gear

Dangermouse

Link Posted 06/08/2010 - 18:00
The wonderful part (for me at least) is that you could pick up any of these old cameras and providing you understand the basics of photography you'd be able to use it. The ES in particular looks so similar to the KM/K1000.

Talking of using them, how do I go about using a Super Takumar lens on an ES II? Bear in mind that while I'm competent with a KM I've never used anything earlier, and I have an ES II along with a Super Tak 35mm f3.5 here that I'd love to have a go with.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

TOZZA27

Link Posted 06/08/2010 - 19:00
I`ve always used a 1:2 55 SMC with mine 0r a 200mm 1:3.5 Mirage also a Teletakumar 5.6 200mm - no probs and beautiful photos.

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

Blue

Link Posted 06/08/2010 - 19:59
Dangermouse wrote:
The wonderful part (for me at least) is that you could pick up any of these old cameras and providing you understand the basics of photography you'd be able to use it. The ES in particular looks so similar to the KM/K1000.

Talking of using them, how do I go about using a Super Takumar lens on an ES II? Bear in mind that while I'm competent with a KM I've never used anything earlier, and I have an ES II along with a Super Tak 35mm f3.5 here that I'd love to have a go with.

The ES is actually more like a K2. It has a stepless fabric shutter that works when set in the automatic mode for aperture priority. The K2 has a metal stepless shutter. The K2 also has mirror lock up. Both are able to do open aperture metering. However, The ES, ES II and Spot F need one of the S-M-C or SMC Taks to take advantage of open aperture metering, otherwise, stop down metering is required. The KX is more like a Spot F and the KM is more like a Spot 1000.

Blue

Link Posted 06/08/2010 - 20:09
The ES & ES II and elements of the K2 were derived from the Metallica II prototype unveiled at the 1966 Photokina. It was the first electronically controlled aperture priority camera. The Electro, ES, and ES II featured fabric stepless shutters and the K2 had a stepless vertical run metal shutter. The Metallica II was a bayonet mount prototype. There was also a shutter priority bayonet mount prototype displayed next to the Metallica II called the Memorica. Both were ahead of their time! Asahi went with the aperture priority lines obviously.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 07/08/2010 - 00:12
Yep, I have an SMC Tak 135mm lens which has the coupling to allow open aperture metering. Problem is, the only "normal" M42 lens I have is the Super Tak 35mm which doesn't have the coupling. How do I use stop-down metering with the ES II? I am guessing it goes like this:

Focus
Set aperture to Manual, stop down, check indicator needle and adjust shutter speed to match needles (so far like the KX but without open-aperture metering).
Switch back to Auto, check focus and composition, shoot.

I will be more inclined to buy it an SMC Tak 55mm f1.8 when I know that it works properly, so I need to fire off a roll of film with the 35mm lens (which was bundled with a very nice KM and genuine adapter) first. Not much point in buying more M42 lenses until then, as I've never had any success using them on digital (always comes out seriously underexposed if I trust the camera light meter).
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

lxmike

Link Posted 22/03/2014 - 22:25
Blue wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:
The Asahiflex is a marvellous little camera, I have been keeping an eye out for one although I think juggling a handheld light meter and the camera would be a bit tricky.

Much of the time I use a variation of Sunny 16 with it or a tiny meter that I have.

good old sunny16 I shot hundreds of rolls through my M2 using that and a Weston V for tricky conditions

nice vintage collection by the way

Dingo

Link Posted 31/01/2015 - 06:32
I'm sorry but this is just Camera pron!!

.....you should all be ashamed of yourselves........luxuriating over those young, firm and pretty bodies!!

Algernon

Link Posted 31/01/2015 - 09:48
Looking at that gorgeous Asahiflex, the MIRRORLESS brigade have it all wrong
It's not the mirror that makes the camera look bulky it's the PENTAPRISM

Pity the K-01 wasn't just a Digital Asahiflex
It could have even had a removable pentaprism.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 31/01/2015 - 09:52
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.