Vintage Lens Reviews

johnriley

Link Posted 27/03/2018 - 09:35
From time to time I do vintage lens reviews for EPZ. This new one might be of interest: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/asahi-super-takumar-55mm-f-2-0-m42-vintage-le...

It looks at the Super Takumar 55mm f/2.

In the pipeline are some more but they have to wait for time to be available between covering new lenses.
Best regards, John

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 27/03/2018 - 10:13
I had expected to see more reviews of the old standard 50-55mm lenses on the K-1 when it came out so this is good to see. The 55mm f/1.8 and f/2 are great lenses on APS-C and it seems they're just as good on FF.

Thanks for this John and may I suggest more reviews of the vintage 50mm lenses would be interesting for K-1 owners.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

LennyBloke

Link Posted 27/03/2018 - 10:25
Thanks for the Review John - as Jonathan has said, more reviews of the older lens (which were of course designed for Full Frame) on the K1 will be greatly appreciated

I've really been enjoying trying my M42, K, M and A lenses on the K1 !
LennyBloke

JAK

Link Posted 28/03/2018 - 00:31
That Super Takumar 55mm f/2 came out really well!
John K

davidwozhere

Link Posted 28/03/2018 - 01:51
One thing you didn't mention (maybe it only affects the f1.8?) is that there is a thorium doped lens in there which yellows with age. The usual windowsill and sunlight treatment clears it. If you use them on a crop frame (e.g. K5 or K3) you can use the 49mm screw-in hoods without problems. My f1.8 is a venerable, battered copy which still performs faultlessly.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

johnriley

Link Posted 28/03/2018 - 07:18
The radioactive lenses are I think early ones, probably the 50mm f/1.4. The f/1.8 and f/2 lenses are the same lens and not affected IIRC. Also, the reviewed one is a later model, having the meter coupling for the Spotmatic F. But you're quite right, there is a radioactive version.
Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 28/03/2018 - 07:18

danofmk

Link Posted 28/03/2018 - 12:19
According to this page....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-S-M-C-Super-Auto-Takumar-55mm-F1.8....

.... It's the 1.8 55mm that's affected.

I've got a radioactive version and it's doing fine. No idea why some show the yellowing and others don't?!

bforbes

Link Posted 28/03/2018 - 12:53
danofmk wrote:
I've got a radioactive version and it's doing fine. No idea why some show the yellowing and others don't?!

"Apparently the atomic structure of the glass is altered by radiation from trace amounts of radioactive thorium in one rare-earth glass element, creating the yellowish-brown color; and this change is reversed by exposure to ultraviolet light."

So I assume if you keep the lens in storage with lens caps on or in a case with no light getting to it the reaction takes place.

I have a 50mm f1.4 that was affected, but standing it in sunlight for a few weeks sorted it.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

davidwozhere

Link Posted 29/03/2018 - 02:00
Yellowing and thorium aside, the f1.8 version takes magnificent pictures. The only thing that detracts (vs modern lenses) is the lack of auto focus. As I said, my copy is really beaten up but the glass is superb.

johnriley

Link Posted 30/03/2018 - 10:47
Does anybody have a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 original 8-element lens I could borrow to run a review of?

If so, please send me a PM so we can make arrangements.

Many thanks!
Best regards, John

geordie01

Link Posted 02/04/2018 - 08:19
johnriley wrote:
Does anybody have a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 original 8-element lens I could borrow to run a review of?

If so, please send me a PM so we can make arrangements.

Many thanks!

I think i have 3

kingfisher

Link Posted 15/04/2018 - 11:57
hope it is okay....but yesterday I found this on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrjwRUi3jfQ

pretty informative, good photos too....

johnriley

Link Posted 15/04/2018 - 13:58
Many thanks for posting, that was very interesting.
Best regards, John

kingfisher

Link Posted 15/04/2018 - 18:02
John.....thanks for your reviews of the vintage gear as well. There isn't much in depth reviews like that, that's why I added that link here. I found some old Pentax glass to be really strong performers with dslr's but at the same time having their own character, I personally am especially fond of original SMC Pentax lenses.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 16/04/2018 - 01:22
I bought an F 100mm macro not long ago. It does quite well but I got cross with it a day or so back (a) the AF and (b) the silly thin manual focussing ring. I screwed 20mm of manual extension tube onto my ancient Takumar f4 50mm macro and it beat the pants off it ! The gallery photo of a button was done with a 200mm Takumar with a Raynox 250 on the end of it. The Raynox did the magnifying but remember, it magnifies the host lens' characteristics too - good or bad.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.