Using an old Canon 188A flash with Pentax K100D DSLR?

yellsie

Link Posted 03/06/2007 - 18:30
Hello All

We have just upgraded from a Pentax Super ME SLR to a nice new K100D. I have an old canon 188A flash and I am wondering if it is ok to use with the new camera?

I have briefly tested it and it seems to fire ok, but I am worried that it might not work correctly or blow up the new camera?

Does anybody have any knowledge or advice about this?

I won't use this flash for now until I get some clarification...

Thanks in advance....

PS we are fairly new to this camera game, and only dabbled with the old pentax slr so any advice would be most welcome.

smc

Link Posted 18/06/2007 - 17:34
It is not normally a good idea to use some of the older flash guns on newer bodies due to potentially high trigger voltages buring out the camera's circuitry. You might get quite similar results just with the built-in camera flash.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 18/06/2007 - 18:32
Pentax cameras tend to be very forgiving of high flash voltages, and Canon very unforgiving.

So it's safer to put a Canon flash on a Pentax camera than vice-versa.

Put a voltmeter across the terminals of the flash when it is charged. I bet you'll find the voltage is under 10 volts. If so, you should be fine.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

LiamD

Link Posted 19/06/2007 - 13:05
Hi,

according to..

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

the 188A has a trigger voltage of 4.1 volts.. if true.. and this does seem to be a reliable online source, mentioned here several times, then you'll be fine. If you have an AVO meter then just double check as per Georges' post.

HTH

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.