Used SMC Pentax-M 100mm F2.8 and SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR at York Camera Mart

prsjnb

Link Posted 18/08/2022 - 20:09
79 link and 399 link respectively. Both graded 9/10 and with 6-month warranty.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 19/08/2022 - 09:28
Good price for the M.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

LennyBloke

Link Posted 20/08/2022 - 10:36
The SMC Pentax M 100mm f2.8 lens is supposed to be exactly the same as its successor, the A series, but without the A button and presumably different coatings - my experience has been that the M is a very good lens but the A is exceptional, and this is based on owning 3 of each (not all at the same time). The A seems sharper and more contrasty, a real gem IMO. Has anyone else had a similar experience with pentax lenses from different series (but the same design)? I know that Pentax spent a lot of time and effort in continually updating their SMC coatings, but should the differences really be that notable?
LennyBloke

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 21/08/2022 - 11:42
LennyBloke wrote:
The SMC Pentax M 100mm f2.8 lens is supposed to be exactly the same as its successor, the A series, but without the A button and presumably different coatings - my experience has been that the M is a very good lens but the A is exceptional, and this is based on owning 3 of each (not all at the same time). The A seems sharper and more contrasty, a real gem IMO. Has anyone else had a similar experience with pentax lenses from different series (but the same design)? I know that Pentax spent a lot of time and effort in continually updating their SMC coatings, but should the differences really be that notable?

I've had a very similar experience with the 50mm f/1.7s of the M and A series and the only conclusion I can reach is more precise manufacturing in the A series. However, I have several Ms and have sold all the As I've bought because of the poor quality of the aperture rings in the A 50/1.7, though that's not the case for all A series lenses.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.