Upcoming Amazon Prime Pentax deals

richandfleur

Link Posted 16/07/2017 - 23:09
I'm not saying they're doomed, just that they make it hard to buy locally in my company. That's possibly more a reflection of the local distributor, who is known to be particularly useless.

I guess it comes down to How many sales could be gained/are lost by not having any product available in the chain stores to pickup and show customers?

I'm all for local sales person knowledge, but in most of the chain store cases, the sales people are driven by what kick backs the supplier is offering on which products. There aren't many bad cameras these days, so it's a pretty safe situation for them to be in. Just recommend something that loosely matches the customers requirements, and then sell 'em something, hopefully with an undisclosed bonus back to the sales person etc.

Stores like SRS are obviously different, with sales people in the industry, rather than selling games consoles, phones, laptops, coffee machines and microwaves as well etc.

Pentax just isn't in this game where I live. Without exaggeration, I don't think there would be one in any shop in my city.

Example Link One
Example Link Two

Both are major nationwide chain stores here in New Zealand, and both have a Brands filter section of their camera pages, but you won't find Pentax there.

McGregNi

Link Posted 17/07/2017 - 00:03
Search was unable to find any results for "pentax",you may have typed your word incorrectly, or are being too specific.

The result from my search on the Noel Leeming website ......(I think I was being too specific ! )
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 17/07/2017 - 00:06

richandfleur

Link Posted 17/07/2017 - 01:08
McGregNi wrote:
Search was unable to find any results for "pentax",you may have typed your word incorrectly, or are being too specific.

The result from my search on the Noel Leeming website ......(I think I was being too specific ! )

Maybe!

I'm not saying a camera brand needs to be in chain stores to be successful, but Pentax does offer some really competitive options at the entry level end.
All Pentax models have large pentaprism viewfinders and many are weather sealed (with a weather sealed 'kit' lens option). This competes very well against the Canon's for example in this price bracket. (Slight aside though that the Video capabilities do not, and this will be flagged by chain store sales people).

Bottom line really is people need to know about your product for it to be a purchasing option for them, and then they need to be able to purchase it. It's debateable as to how much they need to handle and touch it to go along with that decision, but only Pentax just isn't available at all in my city.

Algernon

Link Posted 17/07/2017 - 09:13
Typing Leica into both of those sites just brings up a few Panasonic cameras with Leica lenses and Smartphones with Leica lenses...... So does that mean (since the 1930's) Leica is also Doomed

I've only ever seen new Leica's in about two shops in Preston and Manchester and that was years ago.

Nothing beats the service you get in the Manchester shops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLubV-gH584

Lot of moaning for moanings sake on Pentax sites
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 17/07/2017 - 09:21

richandfleur

Link Posted 17/07/2017 - 10:30
Algernon wrote:
Typing Leica into both of those sites just brings up a few Panasonic cameras with Leica lenses and Smartphones with Leica lenses...... So does that mean (since the 1930's) Leica is also Doomed--

doomed is your words, not mine.

Algernon

Link Posted 17/07/2017 - 10:41
If you have ever listened to what little knowledge salespeople in even the top retailers in the UK know. It's probably better that they don't stock Pentax.

I was in Jessops once and cringed when the saleswoman showing a Pentax to a potential customer said that the biggest problem with it was that it took AA batteries which I considered a PLUS Why was she being so negative

Eneloop batteries aren't sold in our big retailers. They go for cheap batteries sold at Eneloop prices which brings a big profit. They don't care that the batteries are rubbish and will give their customers big problems.

For years salespeople were expected to steer customers away from top marques and towards own brands such as Miranda, Chinon etc.

In the 70's dealers joined groups to bring out their own label stuff and have more buying power to match mail order.
--

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 17/07/2017 - 10:47

jeallen01

Link Posted 17/07/2017 - 11:13
Algi

To be quite correct, the Miranda brand was actually a genuine camera company as was Chinon
But I agree that, for example "Prinzflex" was a Dixons brand for whatever they wanted to put it on (often Zeniths, and many cheap/poor Far Eastern bodies, lenses, light meters, etc., etc.)
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 17/07/2017 - 11:15

LennyBloke

Link Posted 17/07/2017 - 11:17
I get what you're saying Algi but Jessops (in its latter phase before their problems) wasn't truly representative in terms of knowledge of the independent shops or smaller chains (many of which it bought out) - There are still a few shops (getting less each year) where the knowledge is pretty good, don't get me wrong - they are unlikely to have the depth and breadth of knowledge on a particular brand (such as our beloved Pentax) but they are in a different league to certain high street/retail park chains.

The retailers who joined in with their "independent" branding ("image" comes to mind) did benefit from selling certain products with a profit margin that was much higher than they'd been used to (I think the "image" lenses were manufactured by Vivitar) but the products from the likes of Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. were still on a par with direct from official distributor pricing. Small cost discounts could be obtained by buying in quantity - but for many independents stocking 5 or more of a particular lens or camera was not viable.

I'm not a Pentax is Doomed proponent, but until they can form some sort of consistent marketing, sales and distribution policy they risk being written off by many of the retailers that used to be their lifeblood!
LennyBloke

Algernon

Link Posted 17/07/2017 - 11:33
jeallen01 wrote:
Algi

To be quite correct, the Miranda brand was actually a genuine camera company .............

If you post links at least read what they say
"In the early 1980s, the British electrical and photographic retailer Dixons acquired the rights to the Miranda brand and used it on a range of photographic equipment. This included badge-engineered versions of Cosina cameras which were distributed in several European countries."

--

Algi

jeallen01

Link Posted 17/07/2017 - 12:46
Algi

"One all then", or maybe Two-One to me if you include Prinzflex!
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Algernon

Link Posted 17/07/2017 - 12:56
OK although Dixons had a monopoly on Chinon

I've still got an old Chinon which spent years bouncing around the boot of my car... Tougher than old boots. Still works

--

Algi

jeallen01

Link Posted 17/07/2017 - 13:02
Algernon wrote:
OK although Dixons had a monopoly on Chinon
--

Yes, but only in the UK - as outlined on Wikipedia.

And I kept my CS-4 & motor drive when I sold my MZ-5N as that still gave me a PK-mount film body to use - not that I have - (and the 2nd hand value was/is zilch)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 17/07/2017 - 13:07

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 17/07/2017 - 13:06
Chinon got me roped into the K-mount...I liked my CP-7m but as soon as I got the Z-10 it was surplus... the brand was eventually brought out by Kodak,
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Algernon

Link Posted 17/07/2017 - 13:40
I've still got the Chinon badged Tomioka 55mm f/1.2 in the 42mm mount.
By far the best of the f/1.2's due to the rear element being cut to miss the mirror
This gives the lens it's unique bokeh.

Some examples on Flickriver LINK

--

Algi

richandfleur

Link Posted 18/07/2017 - 10:37
Algernon wrote:
Typing Leica into both of those sites just brings up a few Panasonic cameras with Leica lenses and Smartphones with Leica lenses...... So does that mean (since the 1930's) Leica is also Doomed

I've only ever seen new Leica's in about two shops in Preston and Manchester and that was years ago.

Leica doesn't have anything to compete in the price bracket these chain stores are selling though. Pentax does, but it's not presented alongside to even be considered. It's like having a small store out on it's own, and not in the main shopping areas where all the crowds are heading to buy.

Online sales might be good for them though, as people generally move away from bricks and mortar shops anyway.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.