Upcoming Amazon Prime Pentax deals

HarisF1

Link Posted 12/07/2017 - 19:41
cardiffgareth wrote:
There are a few DA 1.4x HD TC's now on eBay for 299! Boxed and new! Funny that!!

Can't blame them for wanting to make a quick buck haha

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/07/2017 - 21:33
I tried ordering 10 but it would only let me have one
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

jeallen01

Link Posted 12/07/2017 - 21:40
I WAS TEMPTED BUT I RESISTED
(OTOH, there might have been "money to be made", had I not!)
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!) - and now a K-70 from SRS

dcweather

Link Posted 16/07/2017 - 10:06
HarisF1 wrote:
And the HD DA 1.4 TC is 135.97. That's a much better price than I would have expected.

Especially considering I just sold my two year old one for 210 on Ebay !

Algernon

Link Posted 16/07/2017 - 10:32
dcweather wrote:
HarisF1 wrote:
And the HD DA 1.4 TC is 135.97. That's a much better price than I would have expected.

Especially considering I just sold my two year old one for 210 on Ebay !

I'm sure that remark will cheer the buyer up!

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

LennyBloke

Link Posted 16/07/2017 - 11:39
another nail in the coffin for Pentax being stocked in High Street Camera Shops - If I was managing a shop that stocked non-grey Pentax I'd be less than impressed with my "Authorised Pentax Dealer" status ensuring that I could sell the same item at more than twice the price of Amazon. Within the next year or two there will be significantly less Pentax stockists, LCE are already shedding their new stock from the handful of stores that did sell our favourite brand - I know SRS do some price-cutting when they have their specials, but they don't tend butcher the market like these deals have the potential to do.

Don't get me wrong, I like a bargain, but the onward march of Amazon may not turn out to be the great thing for consumers that we currently see
LennyBloke

richandfleur

Link Posted 16/07/2017 - 12:25
Without overdramatising, it's almost impossible to buy a Pentax in my city. You have to travel to a few camera stockists in the 3-4 major cities of New Zealand to find one in stock. It's a pretty crazy business model really. Most of the national chain stores stock most of the other brands, but you have to go well out of your way to find a Pentax.

HarisF1

Link Posted 16/07/2017 - 12:33
I think Pentax are also feeling the effects of the second hand market. They're one of the best for backwards compatibility so the sale of new lenses isn't going to be as strong as some of their competitors.

Personal example: I have no need to buy a 70-200 or 15-30 (or 150-450) since I have lenses that can do any excellent job for less than a quarter of the price. I can make do with a 60-250 for most of my telephoto needs (and also have an 80-320 if I didn't want a heavy bag). Therefore the only reason I'd be swayed is if I was to encounter a very silly price for any of the new kit.

Algernon

Link Posted 16/07/2017 - 13:04
New Ricoh Store and Gallery Opening September

--

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 16/07/2017 - 13:05

RobL

Link Posted 16/07/2017 - 13:45
HarisF1 wrote:
I think Pentax are also feeling the effects of the second hand market. They're one of the best for backwards compatibility so the sale of new lenses isn't going to be as strong as some of their competitors.

Personal example: I have no need to buy a 70-200 or 15-30 (or 150-450) since I have lenses that can do any excellent job for less than a quarter of the price. I can make do with a 60-250 for most of my telephoto needs (and also have an 80-320 if I didn't want a heavy bag). Therefore the only reason I'd be swayed is if I was to encounter a very silly price for any of the new kit.

Not sure I agree with this, given the high image quality possible with the new bodies it makes sense to get the best available lenses designed for them. I have found the new 15-30 and 24-70 lenses in particular give great images with colours that really pop, and well worth the outlay. Not got around to the 70-200 but I could be tempted sometime!

LennyBloke

Link Posted 16/07/2017 - 16:53
richandfleur wrote:
Without overdramatising, it's almost impossible to buy a Pentax in my city. You have to travel to a few camera stockists in the 3-4 major cities of New Zealand to find one in stock. It's a pretty crazy business model really. Most of the national chain stores stock most of the other brands, but you have to go well out of your way to find a Pentax.

And this is what will happen in the UK, maybe it's intentional?

I know that the effort put into some bricks'n'mortar shops has been pretty poor - so an online only sales model could make sense to Ricoh - they could reduce costs and concentrate everything on the big Internet sellers and even direct.

Traditional shops are suffering from internet sales - many "customers" are happy to try all the models in the shops then criticise them for not being able to match the price on cheapcheapcamera.com - we are now so price focused that we overlook knowledge, service, after-sales, etc. I believe in competition but the majority of high street retailers will pay more in taxes, rates, cost price of goods, staff, etc. than the likes of Amazon. I do buy on the internet, but almost always from a site that has a high street presence - but if I wanted a 1.4x HD converter then I couldn't ignore the incredible price difference so Amazon would get the business, and eventually I won't be able to see a Pentax product in a shop

I wonder whether Chris at SRS is currently having second thoughts about supporting Pentax so strongly - my guess is he's just lost a few possible sales!
LennyBloke

wvbarnes

Link Posted 16/07/2017 - 18:07
What's a High St Camera shop? Our last two were Jessops (went bust, didn't return under new owners) and LCE, lease expired so they didn't bother to move to another unit. Neither sold Pentax. Harrisons main store in Sheffield, only pentax are old second hand film ones for students. Jessops tiny store in Meadowhall, 'sorry we don't do them'. Varous 'Currys/PC World/Dixons mob. Nope!!!!

HarisF1

Link Posted 16/07/2017 - 18:41
Bradford Camera Exchange are one such shop. They've not got huge presence online but they're official Pentax partners (or whatever the term is). I got my K-1 from them but I've never gone back to ask for prices on lenses. They can usually pricematch with SRS but wouldn't ever be able to match Amazon lightning deal prices.

JAK

Link Posted 16/07/2017 - 18:50
LennyBloke wrote:
I do buy on the internet, but almost always from a site that has a high street presence - but if I wanted a 1.4x HD converter then I couldn't ignore the incredible price difference so Amazon would get the business, and eventually I won't be able to see a Pentax product in a shop

Why are we seeing automated hyperlinks for Amazon but not SRS and other authorised Pentax dealers? Not even Pentax gets one of those!
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 16/07/2017 - 18:55

Algernon

Link Posted 16/07/2017 - 19:00
I'm going to write and record a song called "Pentax is Doomed" and sell it on Amazon Should be a massive Hit!

--

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.