Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Understanding RAW

Rodger Fooks
Posted 20/01/2007 - 09:09 Link
There seems to be a lot of chatter lately about RAW, Noise, RAW conversion atc...

I've just found these 2 docs on the Adobe site written by Bruce Fraser. At first they look like something for Technofreaks but answer a lot of the questions if you read them all the way through.

The Linear Gamma one is really eye opening.

Any thoughts welcome

Links are

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/pdfs/linear_gamma.pdf
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/pdfs/understanding_digitalrawcapture.pdf
Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
alfpics
Posted 20/01/2007 - 22:41 Link
Thanks for the links, Rodger.

They make interesting reading, especially the linear gamma one - will start to think differently! Having said that, the analogy with jpeg and transparency vs RAW and negative in the other paper was a new way of looking at it for me!

Andy
George Lazarette
Posted 20/01/2007 - 23:07 Link
Good links.

Bruce Fraser was the high priest of digital image processing. Sadly, he died late last year.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Rodger Fooks
Posted 21/01/2007 - 10:22 Link
Glad they are of use, I didn't know who he was but obviously well thought of - shame he passed away.

Like Andy I found the linear gamma one really changes my thoughts.

I'm going to have a go at his suggestions and see what happens.
Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
golfdiesel
Posted 21/01/2007 - 16:22 Link
Quote:
I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention one of the great strengths of Adobe® Camera Raw in this area, the extended highlight recovery feature, which kicks in when you set the Exposure slider to negative
values. Most raw converters give up on highlights once a single channel is driven to clipping,
but Camera Raw does its best to reconstruct highlight detail from a single channel. Depending on the camera model and the color temperature settings, you may be able to recover as much as one stop of highlight detail, though one-third stop is more typical. If you use Camera Raw, it’s worth spending some time conducting exposure tests to see just how far you can comfortably
push the exposure.

How does this apply to silkypix? How does it handle highlights?
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
Ammonyte
Posted 21/01/2007 - 20:12 Link
Silkypix gives you a control with four parameters to recover highlights:-

Chroma/Luminance, Hue/Saturation, Luminance Restoration and Dynamic Range Expansion so that you can fine tune the settings, which you can save as "tastes" to re-apply in future. I find that the built-in taste "Sunset" does a good job.
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.