Turnaround Times for lens repairs at Pentax FR

SRHphoto

Link Posted 06/08/2015 - 08:26
Unfortunately, my 3 month old DA* 60-250mm has developed some aperture and focusing issues and has had to be sent back to the Pentax service centre in France. Anyone have any experience of how long turnaround times are from them?

Thanks,

Simon.

wvbarnes

Link Posted 06/08/2015 - 09:27
No but you'd think a full refund, a new replacement or a temporary loan would be the sign of a good dealer surely?

SRHphoto

Link Posted 06/08/2015 - 10:39
wvbarnes wrote:
No but you'd think a full refund, a new replacement or a temporary loan would be the sign of a good dealer surely?

If I'm honest I had hoped the dealer would replace it immediately, but unfortunately that hasn't happened as "Pentax need to authorise replacement". Not much more I can do other than to wait and see what Pentax FR come back with.

Simon.

Daronl

Link Posted 07/08/2015 - 08:13
Good luck with Pentax repairs. I had a Malfunctioning autofocus block on a new K3 Silver edition and a PCB failure on a newish 160c Ringflash last year.

In both cases I was advised by the retailer to send the units directly to Johnsons Photopia to save time and the retailer would tie up with Johnsons to ensure the equipment was correctly logged on the system between them; which they did.

Despite valiant attempts by Johnsons Photopia and the retailer to obtain a repacement K3 Silver Edition, Ricoh/ Pentax France and Ricoh Pentax GmbH thwarted any possibility of a prompt solution; simply squabbling and contradicting each others decisions to "repair or replace" for several weeks until the situations were crystalised by direct intervention from the retailer and the autonomous support of a Pentax Sales Rep.

in the case of the AF160C Flash, which folloeed the same totuous path, the MD of Johnsons Photopia intervened himself.

Nb; There was no communications access, input or intervention from anyone at a UK Ricoh/ Pentax Office in either of these cases as the Ricoh/Pentax offices in the UK are seemingly outside the organizational loop on such matters, so you are in the hands of the European centres.

The worst thing of all was that I had been commissioned to shoot the IPC European Games ( Field events) which were taking place three weeks after the K3 Silver edition failed; so they had three weeks to do something !

Rico/Pentax did nothing to help and I ended up shooting most of it with a Canon Full Frame body, I was lucky enough to get from a family member, and a lens I offered to hire but actually got on free loan from a Canon pro centre, which arrived in one day by the way.

In the case if the AF160c Ring Flash, seemingly there was no replacement PCB available "on the planet" ( bear in mind this is a small inexpensive electrical component in a 450+ unit)

Again I was faced with the same problem, having some paid work on the go, but just as before, Ricoh/ Pentax just squabbled and completely let me down and as I said above, if the MD of Johnsons Photopia hadn't personally intervened and been forcibly persistent , I would still be waiting for a new flash now, probably

I completed that work, having to borrow equipment yet again whilst "Rome burned" at the various Ricoh Pentax " Squabbling Offices".

I am sad to say I invested a lot of hard earned cash to migrate from Canon to Pentax but I genuinely chose to develop a Pentax System, as a semi-pro, for the right reasons; however based on my experiences since Ricoh/Pentax are appalling when it comes to providing rapid responses, solutions and communication in times of trouble (which all brands can experience).

Unless you are dealing with a very accomodating retailer you could be in trouble as a working photographer or busy enthusiast if you have an equipment failure; experience has shown me that Ricoh / Pentax are not set up organizationally, to provide rapid support .

I hope there are people who can reiterate better experiences than mine as I would love to see Pentax growing in stature to where it once was, but unfortunatel my experiences of late lead me to conclude that; If it's in the guarantee /warranty period, you are best going to the retailer and/or Johnsons Photopia - if it's not in the guarantee / warranty period then you are likely in trouble.

Regards
Daronl

johnriley

Link Posted 07/08/2015 - 09:03
We use Pentax cameras and lenses for paying work, so far have never had a failure in the field but always have backups, and, if possible, backups of backups.

This means 2 K-5 bodies, one for each of us, a backup K20D and a couple of compacts such as the MX-1 for use in extremis. If pushed to, I could shoot a wedding on a compact, although it obviously would not be a first choice!

Lenses are also backed up as AF lenses are much more complex than older designs, so failure is always possible.

The only repair I have had done on a DSLR was the K10D, which was fixed within a few weeks to a very high standard.
Best regards, John

RobL

Link Posted 07/08/2015 - 09:33
johnriley wrote:
We use Pentax cameras and lenses for paying work, so far have never had a failure in the field but always have backups, and, if possible, backups of backups.

This means 2 K-5 bodies, one for each of us, a backup K20D and a couple of compacts such as the MX-1 for use in extremis. If pushed to, I could shoot a wedding on a compact, although it obviously would not be a first choice!

Lenses are also backed up as AF lenses are much more complex than older designs, so failure is always possible.

That's fine if you are a pro but if I am spending (not investing) large sums of money in a system then I want the reassurance that the manufacturer will provide good back-up service. Also this is the main reason I will only buy from retailers with a good reputation and have a physical retail outlet even if it costs a bit more, and if necessary I can trade in the lot over the counter.

Daronl

Link Posted 07/08/2015 - 11:15
I most definately have the back ups but for such events as the IPC European Games shoot; my lead camera was the K3 with a K IIs as a second body. one to be mounted with a DA * 300 and the other with a DA* 60-250

But I wasn' going to attempt such a prestigious job with a single camera, with the possibility of then not having a "back up of the back up camera", if you know what I mean and also changeing lenses on the fly etc ; all it required fro Pentax was a prompt replacement or even a loaned K3 - they had three weeks to do it

I now have a K3 II, K3, K5 IIs, ( and a 645 for other work) but no-one can't have back ups on back ups;

In the case of the failed AF 160c, clearly very few people have back up ring flashes but I do

But that is not the issue here ; the issue is simple

1. Wether or not Pentax can support the enthusiast / pro market with customer focussed supportive action and responses carried out in a realistic time frame.

2. Are ricoh/Pentax now organizationally set up to give sensible and timely support to UK users.

In the two cases mentioned in my first post, experience says no, unless of course they have changed.

So what makes it so difficult for Pentax to carve out a peice of the Pro Market ?

In have been a Pentax user for many years but also had periods , where I switched to Nikon and then in recent years to Canon and they all have problems but it is how they are dealt with.

Some of my friends are full time pros and say that Canon is better than Nikon as regards pro support but whilst they all are genuinely impressed by Pentax and the quality of images and equipment, they don't see a supporting infrastructure than can support pros in the field from Pentax.

I don't have aspirations to become a full time working pro but I work regularly and selectively and to be fair, It seems to me that whilst Nikon and Canon are the pro choice the users might be supporting the back up infrastructure based on very high pro equipment prices.

Pentax on the other hand come in with great equipment, particularly some of the lenses, at a much lower price than similarly performing Canon/Nikon gear but they will likely never be a contender in shifting the pro market until they can support working pros .

Their customer support is more reminiscent of a retail company than a professional camera equipment supplier.

Regrettably as much as I love Pentax, if I was at an earlier stage in my life and working toward being a full time pro I would find it difficult to go with anyone other than Canon and I would underline that I prefer both Pentax and Nikon to Canon .

I am with Pentax now, not out of brand loyalty, but because I think the equipment is great with the added bonus of class matching/leading performance at a great price, but if the quality and performance deteriorated, like all people I would go elswhere, even if I had to pay more.

If I was aspiring to become a fulltime, busy working pro I couldnt see the possibility of sustaining that profession with Pentax "in their current state of play"

So as regards the original topic about repairing lenses, I have had two SDM replacements some years ago; in the US it took 1 week, in the UK three weeks and then the lens was replaced, after protestations regarding the time it was taking, so good luck with that.

Maybe I am being a little unrealistic, but one month ago I had a Bosch Cordless Rotak Lawn Mower Picked up, repaired ( major repair) and returned to me in 4 days; following one Phone call.

Before anyone says it, maybe Bosch should go into the camera business.

Regards

johnriley wrote:

The only repair I have had done on a DSLR was the K10D, which was fixed within a few weeks to a very high standard.

Daronl

RobL

Link Posted 07/08/2015 - 12:23
Further to Daronl's comments it must be essential to provide professionals with proper support if they are actively targeting that market with the 645Z medium format camera & lenses - or do those users get special treatment?

SRHphoto

Link Posted 07/08/2015 - 14:56
I'm no pro, just an enthusiast who managed to save up what for me was a big amount of money for a 'dream' lens which then failed within 3 months of ownership.

As an engineer of 20+ years experience, I'm well aware of potential problems that major surgery could cause. It genuinely worries me. Add in the length of time it's likely to be away and I am very unhappy. My personal opinion is that the dealer should've replaced but that isn't going to happen.

I'll certainly think twice before spending more money on expensive Pentax equipment.

wvbarnes

Link Posted 07/08/2015 - 15:55
Not good ahead of the 'pro' targetted new DSLR this autumn then. Perhaps Ricoh Europe have exciting new plans for the UK market this autumn with perhaps a UK based repair centre, back up loan items if in difficulty and some one knowledgeable in the apparantly token UK former Pentax Head Office.
Citizens advice seem to recommend that if a product is faulty early on then be quick getting a refund and buy again. A replacement reduces your rights to further replacement or repair it seems, so not a wise option with a slow French/German based company.
Last Edited by wvbarnes on 07/08/2015 - 15:55

50mpCMOS

Link Posted 07/08/2015 - 22:48
Given the popularity and availability of the Pentax 60-250, also still being produced, still being sold, and the known issues of the 60-250...

Technically, once the item is/was at the repair facility it should take less than TWO DAYS to properly repair, retest, and then get shipped back out. After all, we're not talking an ultra-rare lens such as the Pentax 560.

Me personally, having being a Pentax owner, also even a Ricoh owner for as long... One would like to think that one would not have to actually carry around seconds - in terms of back-ups. But certain items of Pentax glass are basically so unreliable that it does require one to carry around secondary glass. Sadly as well, perhaps a secondary back up camera body.

Interestingly enough, I'm also a regular Canon dslr user - quite extensively. I've only had one very minor issue with ANY Canon dslr body, even since I owned the first line Canon digital camera, and many models since. I've also only had one single item (ever) with a Canon lens.

I sincerely hope that when Pentax elects to release a full-frame digital (perhaps this year, perhaps not) that the company somehow redeems itself. Pentax will have only one single chance to get this one right.

johnriley

Link Posted 07/08/2015 - 23:36
Backups are necessary because all man made items can fail. It's not about anticipating that failure, it's about being able to carry on uninterrupted when doing a job.

In a business sense, there are plenty of low cost Pentax bodies and lenses that could be used as an emergency backup and it would be much more cost effective than buying something several times the price and relying on the manufacturer to offer that cover.
Best regards, John

RobL

Link Posted 08/08/2015 - 17:59
johnriley wrote:
Backups are necessary because all man made items can fail. It's not about anticipating that failure, it's about being able to carry on uninterrupted when doing a job.

In a business sense, there are plenty of low cost Pentax bodies and lenses that could be used as an emergency backup and it would be much more cost effective than buying something several times the price and relying on the manufacturer to offer that cover.

I hope you are not saying that because Pentax are relatively inexpensive then that justifies poorer service than the alternatives. Most professionals carry more than one camera body on an assignment but I am not a professional so don't need to; however I would rather see a price rise IF that meant great manufacturer's support.

johnriley

Link Posted 08/08/2015 - 18:20
I think we should ask some prefessionals what they think of the special service that seems to be expected from manufacturers. Apart from special backups at major events, the norm may be a bit variable.

If I'm making any point it's that at least having our own backups is affordable and there's no other type of backup in the field that could possibly be fast enough. A camera fails during an important job? We need a backup now, this very second, and no manufacturer can be expected to provide that level of service.

In practice, it is very bad luck if a Pentax camera does fail, because in general they don't fail.
Best regards, John

McGregNi

Link Posted 08/08/2015 - 20:23
Daroni Wrote ......Maybe I am being a little unrealistic, but one month ago I had a Bosch Cordless Rotak Lawn Mower Picked up, repaired ( major repair) and returned to me in 4 days; following one Phone call.

Before anyone says it, maybe Bosch should go into the camera business.

Hmmm, not sure .... Maybe we should check out the 'Bosch User' forums first. They may be rife with complaints of supersonic drill motor failures, grinder shaft breakages, strimmer power lever jams etc, and working pros being stranded in the fields and construction sites with no manufacturer backup ...... (well, it's worth checking )
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 08/08/2015 - 20:28
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.