Trying out SMC M 80-200 f4.5 on Airliners


1stEverPentax

Link Posted 14/11/2017 - 12:09
Decided to try out this bargain lens (purely manual) on airliners at my usual spot at Manchester Airport. Matched it with my K-50.

Light was ok for time of year but no way can a cold , slightly gloomy November day compete with the late Spring/Summer light. Even so...

1.


2.


3.


4.


5.


6.


Very pleased overall. Lens is almost as sharp as M 75-150 but has a more useful reach and will crop surprisingly well as long as well focussed to begin with.

Lens including postage cost me less than 14! Definitely my bargain buy of the year.

stub

Link Posted 14/11/2017 - 14:04
Very decent results given the time of year... I'm having a go at manual myself.. Just paid 6 inc postage for a 28-80 walk about lens... All good fun..
K1 K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 14/11/2017 - 15:29
Cheers Stuart, three of those images were cropped to either 33 or 50% as well.

It's unbelieveable what extraordinary value you can get if prepared to go 'manual'. For aviation use manual focussing takes place within a very small area close to infinity so is very easy to get there or thereabouts...'absolutely critical' can involve a bit of hit and miss...but i don't consider that a problem for amateur use.

Ok, the SMC coatings aren't up to modern HD standard and the lenses aren't weather resistant but they are very well built and using them is an absolute pleasure.

I'll be giving the 135mm F3.5 and 200 f4 a go before long although i'll wait until late spring before matching them with the 2x convertor I acquired recently.

regards

Karlo

alfpics

Link Posted 14/11/2017 - 16:05
Not bad for 14!!
Andy

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 14/11/2017 - 17:16
You've seen the A350 before I have and I live below the LHR flightpath.

I HATE YOU!
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

NaimKhan

Link Posted 14/11/2017 - 19:33
Nice images.
Did you shoot these from the spectators area that is signposted or do you have a special secret place that you use?
PPG

jeallen01

Link Posted 14/11/2017 - 22:31
stub wrote:
Very decent results given the time of year... I'm having a go at manual myself.. Just paid 6 inc postage for a 28-80 walk about lens... All good fun..

Sorry to say this but I was massively underwhelmed ("not sharp" to say the least) by that lens when I used it with the MZ-5N and then the GX10 (K-10D) and it soon got sold on.
OTOH, good luck to the OP as his lens looks quite good.
K-3 II, K-3, K-5 & K-30, & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 14/11/2017 - 22:33
alfpics wrote:
Not bad for 14!!

Brilliant value...and that included a skylight filter and the original OEM packaging!

ilovesaabs wrote:
You've seen the A350 before I have and I live below the LHR flightpath.

I HATE YOU!

Very nice plane...so quiet...that must be why you're missing them!

NaimKhan wrote:
Nice images.
Did you shoot these from the spectators area that is signposted or do you have a special secret place that you use?

These were taken from a popular spot on the southside of the airfield...no facilites (although plenty of bushes), sun behind you in the morning and the nearest runway is only a couple of hundred yards. The Aviation Viewing Area is very expensive and not ideal A.M as you are looking into the sun. I use a handful of other spots depending on the runway in use and time of day. Most of them are perfectly usable with a 150-200 max focal length...depending on the size of aircraft.

NaimKhan

Link Posted 14/11/2017 - 22:37
1stEverPentax wrote:
alfpics wrote:
Not bad for 14!!

Brilliant value...and that included a skylight filter and the original OEM packaging!

ilovesaabs wrote:
You've seen the A350 before I have and I live below the LHR flightpath.

I HATE YOU!

Very nice plane...so quiet...that must be why you're missing them!

NaimKhan wrote:
Nice images.
Did you shoot these from the spectators area that is signposted or do you have a special secret place that you use?

These were taken from a popular spot on the southside of the airfield...no facilites (although plenty of bushes), sun behind you in the morning and the nearest runway is only a couple of hundred yards. The Aviation Viewing Area is very expensive and not ideal A.M as you are looking into the sun. I use a handful of other spots depending on the runway in use and time of day. Most of them are perfectly usable with a 150-200 max focal length...depending on the size of aircraft.

Can you possibly send me a Google maps link for the exact place? I would appreciate it.
PPG

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 15/11/2017 - 00:22
I'll send you some info / links later this morning Naim. I can give you directions from the M56 if that would help?

You'll need some walking boots or comfy wellies as it is very muddy at this time of year. There is a hotel close by though which is handy if you want a hot drink
and you can pay and display in their car park if the limited parking nearby is full...still a lot cheaper than the Spectators Park.

I'll message you in the morning.

Regards

Karlo
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.