Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Trusty old ME - Super

Bill_And
Posted 08/07/2009 - 09:02 Link
I have just moved house, and I was going through my box of odds and ends in the study when I came across my trusty old ME-Super that I bought in my youth in 1984 (doesnt time fly).

I took it out of the case, I havent used in in best part of ten years or more( as I have gradually upgraded my cameras over the years - as we all have) and switched it on; lo and behold there was still life in the batteries

ME-Super now spring cleaned and out on display, bless!
johnriley
Posted 08/07/2009 - 09:05 Link
The ME Super has the most wonderful feel to the wind-on lever that it's a positively exotic experience....Silky smooth.

We lost that small pleasure when motors started being inculded in camera bodies!
Best regards, John
Hardgravity
Posted 08/07/2009 - 09:38 Link
Don't just display it, get a film in and use it!

When you go back to film you realise how much you take for granted when using a DSLR.

It makes you concentrate and think about composing the shot right. You can't crop and airbrush a negative as easily as a digital file.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Stoupaduck
Posted 11/07/2009 - 22:54 Link
Nice - I also had one a while ago. Still got my K1000 tho'
K3;K5;DA*16-50mm;DFA 100mm WR Macro;F4 DA*300mm;DA*60-250mm F4; Sigma 150-500mm; Mecablitz 58 AF-2;K1000/M50mm f2.
Bill_And
Posted 13/07/2009 - 11:13 Link
im now worried that im turning into a collector!

got my ME-Super, MZ 50 and my K100d out on the bookshelf - lots of space to fill
mire
Posted 03/10/2009 - 22:19 Link
I have recently added a ME super to my collection and have been using it with Kodak T400 CN film in Exeter. This camera handles well, hope you use your camera now it has been redisccvered.
jackitec
Posted 03/10/2009 - 22:28 Link
Here's a nice one for sale going on the bay tomorrow

link
Polaski
Posted 10/11/2009 - 20:40 Link
I gave my ME-Super to a young relative -- who truned out to be a bit of an ingrate, but nevertheless. It was a godd camera, but I never could, after years of use, get used to that gumball machine exposure display.

I replaced it with a Pentax KX, heavier, but analog from the top to the bottom.

The M-series lenses, though, are priceless. Use them from the KX all the way to the K10D.
Edited by Polaski: 10/11/2009 - 20:42
Posted 22/11/2009 - 12:49 Link
I loved my old ME Super. I'm not a professional photographer, nor a particularly good one, and when digital came along, I abandoned film photography forever, I'm afraid - so I haven't used it for years.

It's a shame that digital SLRs are so bulky, really. My K100D Super is very nice, but it doesn't have the same handy, portable feel that my old Pentax film cameras have.
mire
Posted 22/11/2009 - 14:07 Link
If you 'loved you old ME super' why not continue to use it? I find it amazing that people 'abandon film photography forever'. This revolution is driven by a number of factors, one being consumerism. There is also something akin to a religious conversion experience about 'going digital' which needs further analysis.
I post images taken with Pentax film cameras on this site - obviously not yet a true believer in digital.
Posted 22/11/2009 - 14:43 Link
Hi mire,

In my case I can assure you it wasn't a religious epiphany, nor anything to do with consumerism. It's simply a case that digital photography is, for me, dramatically more convenient than film photography, and in more than one respect. That's why I don't continue to use my ME Super, or indeed my Program A, or my MX. Or my Nikon F70.
mire
Posted 22/11/2009 - 18:20 Link
Hello Lonegroover,

Excellent, spirited reply! Will we see the ME, Program A and MX on E bay for the film community to bid for?
Best regards, Mire
Mongoose
Posted 22/11/2009 - 19:38 Link
for me it's economic. A few pence to charge the battery and my K10D is good to go for 5-700 shots. 36 exposures on film costs ~5 or more. I just can't justify it at the moment.

I keep the kit though, in the fond hope that one day......
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
greynolds999
Posted 22/11/2009 - 20:10 Link
I do think there can be something wonderfully grounding about going out with a roll of FP4. 36 exposures and that's it! No more machine gunning pictures. And in my case I only have one lens I can use on analogue!
Mongoose
Posted 23/11/2009 - 13:47 Link
it certainly is amazing how digital changes your mindset when it comes to exposures.

When I shot film I would go out with two 36exp rolls, intending to shoot one of them (and Damn the expense!). If I actually shot a whole roll I thought I'd either been machine gunning or had seen some really interesting subjects. The second roll was there in case I finished the first one and then something unmissable happened, it rarely got loaded let alone used.

Now with the K10D even having slowed down somewhat in recent times I come back with 50+ shots regularly.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.