Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Trefor Village Seascapes

bychan
Posted 23/07/2019 - 00:23 Link
I recently had my 16-85 returned following a repair (right hand side of images blurry at certain focal lengths, original thread below).

link

It now appears to be okay (if not I doubt it ever will be).

Here are some local seascapes taken with it and the K3 (although not @ 16mm where the original issue was worst).

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Regards
Adrian
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/
PRYorkshire
Posted 23/07/2019 - 08:29 Link
Glad to hear that you got the 16-85 repaired.

Good shots, well balanced. For me I like numbers 3 and 4 with good cloud colours and the foreground rock colour.

Paul
Paul

K1000, Espio 140, ist, istD, K70, K3iii and numerous lenses, just don't tell my wife.
Edited by PRYorkshire: 23/07/2019 - 08:31
Lubbyman
Posted 23/07/2019 - 11:01 Link
A working 16-85mm is a fine lens to have to hand. Fingers crossed that it doesn't slip back into its old habits. Did you find out the cause of the problem? (Some self-interest here in case mine develops the same trouble...)

No. 2 is my favourite. It has a 3-D feel that isn't so strong in the others (at least with my eyes, glasses and monitor!). Something to do with the colours and textures of the rocks and having less sea in the frame?

Steve
AlJones2402
Posted 23/07/2019 - 18:08 Link
PRYorkshire wrote:

Good shots, well balanced. For me I like numbers 3 and 4 with good cloud colours and the foreground rock colour.

Paul

+1 👍
tigershoot
Posted 23/07/2019 - 23:09 Link
Glad that the lens is now fine. I have this lens and it is a stunner. It used to stick a bit when zooming in very hot conditions but that has fixed itself. It is my third copy as the first was totally dead on arrival - could not focus at all. I sent it straight back to SRS and they sent another. This was decentered, so back it went and I got this one.

I cannot now image not having it, and it has travelled extensively and performed fabulously. It survived a major moment when I fell over on rocks in Thailand and it was zoomed out to 85mm - I smacked its petal hood off the rock leaving the hood scratched, but the lens survived unscathed and works perfectly. I think the hood must have taken all the shock.
K3iii, K3ii, K-5, K-x, DA150-450mm, DA16-85WR, DA16-45, DA18-55WR, DA18-135WR, DA35 F2.4, M100mm F4 Macro, DA55-300mm, FA50mm 1.4, AF360 Flash, AF540 Flash
alfpics
Posted 24/07/2019 - 14:02 Link
That's good news Adrian - nice piccies

BTW - was it expensive to get sorted?
Andy
bychan
Posted 26/07/2019 - 00:47 Link
PRYorkshire wrote:

Paul

A working 16-85mm is a fine lens to have to hand. Fingers crossed that it doesn't slip back into its old habits. Did you find out the cause of the problem? (Some self-interest here in case mine develops the same trouble...)

No. 2 is my favourite. It has a 3-D feel that isn't so strong in the others (at least with my eyes, glasses and monitor!). Something to do with the colours and textures of the rocks and having less sea in the frame?

Steve[/quote]
Thanks Steve; all images were taken within a short period of time, all with a 10 stop ND filter, plus a 0.9 soft grad. Experimenting with different exposure times, in what were not ideal conditions.

I never got to know what the issue was, but will advise later as to what was done to the lens.

tigershoot wrote:
Glad that the lens is now fine. I have this lens and it is a stunner. It used to stick a bit when zooming in very hot conditions but that has fixed itself. It is my third copy as the first was totally dead on arrival - could not focus at all. I sent it straight back to SRS and they sent another. This was decentered, so back it went and I got this one.

I cannot now image not having it, and it has travelled extensively and performed fabulously. It survived a major moment when I fell over on rocks in Thailand and it was zoomed out to 85mm - I smacked its petal hood off the rock leaving the hood scratched, but the lens survived unscathed and works perfectly. I think the hood must have taken all the shock.

I agree in that it is a stunning lens (I opted for this new over a cheaper used 16-50). It`s built like a tank, and thankfully in your experience, proved to be the case

alfpics wrote:
That's good news Adrian - nice piccies

BTW - was it expensive to get sorted?

Price of repair; the lens was out of warranty, but I managed to locate some examples illustrating the issue taken when the lens was still under warranty (EXIF confirmed this).

What I then did was e-mail SRS (from whom I had purchased the lens from), illustrating the issue with example images. I also expressed that under the terms of the Consumers Rights Act 2015, that the lens was not fit for purpose, and that I would expect a £500 lens to "last" longer.

Next day reply from SRS, asking that the lens be sent back to them and they would sort it.
Fast forwards a few weeks and SRS confirmed that they had received the lens back from Pentax France, and it would be back with me in a few days (which it was).

SRS treated it as a warranty repair, and the paperwork from John Pye Technical confirmed that the following work was carried out on the lens:
Calibrate and adjust focusing
Check focus movement
Check and clean body parts

The only cost to me was the initial postage to SRS; the level of service they provided here was incredible (all the superlatives I can think of still seem not enough).

If the lens is not right now, after this, as I commented previously, it never will be.

Taken on the same day, @16mm

Comment Image

Thanks all
Adrian
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/
Sry
Posted 27/08/2019 - 17:13 Link
I appreciate the way you chose to expose these images - and the ensuing feeling of tranquility. 'La force tranquille', as said one of François Mitterrand's presidential campaigns way back when.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.