Travel Storage for Photos

darkskies

Link Posted 26/11/2018 - 14:58
Hi Guys,

Just after a little bit of advice.

I'm going to be going on a trip where I won't have access to a laptop, but I'll want to backup any photos I take.

So, basically, what do people use and what would you recommend?

Cheers, Neil
This space deliberately left blank.

Chrism8

Link Posted 26/11/2018 - 15:18
How long for and is it Uk , Europe or further afield, what Pentax Camera are you using ?

If its short term, I'd probably just use several different cards, I'd probably not have 1 massive card, but several say between 8GB and 16GB, so not all eggs in one basket, for eggs also read images !! - you may be able to write to 2 cards at the same time depending on the camera you have, if this is the case up the cards to perhaps a 32GB on RAW and duplicate the images and 16GB on Jpeg.

HTH
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

Gwyn

Link Posted 26/11/2018 - 15:36
They still make image tanks. Basically hardrives with a card reader. You could buy one of those and use along with a lot of cards - I would never rely soley on an image tank or a laptop for that matter to keep my photos on whilst travelling.

This is a Dutch site with some image tanks but I am sure you can find them in the UK too: https://www.cameranu.nl/nl/c62135/geheugenkaarten-en-opslag/imagetanks
Last Edited by Gwyn on 26/11/2018 - 15:36

RobL

Link Posted 26/11/2018 - 15:44
As long as you have access to a power source a portable SSD device would be the thing, Sandisk do one - Extreme Portable, rugged but rather expensive. Either use cable to connect the camera or a card reader. If away from a power source for a period of time then a rechargeable power pack like used for laptops would be handy.

darkskies

Link Posted 26/11/2018 - 16:48
Thanks for the ideas so far.

To add a bit more detail.

I will be away for 14 days maximum at any one time. I will have access to electricity, and I will sometimes be in foreign parts, so will use an adapter for the power.

I will be using either a K1 and/or K3, so can write to 2 cards at once.

I already have external disk drives. Could I just use a card reader to load onto those?

Kim C

Link Posted 26/11/2018 - 17:35
darkskies wrote:
Thanks for the ideas so far.

To add a bit more detail.

I will be away for 14 days maximum at any one time. I will have access to electricity, and I will sometimes be in foreign parts, so will use an adapter for the power.

I will be using either a K1 and/or K3, so can write to 2 cards at once.

I already have external disk drives. Could I just use a card reader to load onto those?

Not really. You would need something which gives the "command" to move them. Both the normal external hard drive and card readers are "dumb". You might be able to do it with a tablet if you are not taking a laptop.

darkskies

Link Posted 26/11/2018 - 17:59
I was thinking that, Kim. Thinking aloud!!

Obviously I'm going to want to do it as cheaply as possible! But reliably!

Kim C

Link Posted 26/11/2018 - 18:01
darkskies wrote:
I was thinking that, Kim. Thinking aloud!!

Obviously I'm going to want to do it as cheaply as possible! But reliably!

Multiple cards, One on Raw, one on Jpg and keep them separate So if you lose one set. you still have the other.

darkskies

Link Posted 26/11/2018 - 18:09
Yes, the simple solution would be to use multiple cards.

I always shoot RAW, never jpg, but I could easily shoot to both cards, and then just use new cards when they are getting full.

Gwyn

Link Posted 26/11/2018 - 18:15
If it is only 14 days at a time then multiple cards is the way to go. Don't forget to lock them when you switch them out, and maybe number them so you have them in the right order when you get home.

darkskies

Link Posted 27/11/2018 - 10:38
Good plan, Gwyn, that sounds very sensible!

I think that's the way I'll end up going. Cards are so cheap nowadays, I don't think, now, that it's worth buying something standalone, when I'd probably have to have 2 to establish an immediate backup. Shooting to two cards would do that.

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 27/11/2018 - 17:34
Honestly, 14 days? Get the smallest HP laptop you can find in Currys - I bought one for 150 pounds for Madagascar and it's done great - good to catch up on news and emails when you have wifi access. Battery life is good. But it is compact and light. Load up with PhotoLaboratory (the pentax software from the support site) and you can feed the files from SD cards onto the 2 externals simultaneously.

Means you can inspect the images quickly and sort out any problems (like me having changed by WB setting for a sunset one day and not reset it the next day, everything comes out fake tan orange)....

If you shoot RAW on card 1 and JPEG on card 2 then you really only need to download the RAW images as the JPEGS take less room and longer to fill a card.

I tend to learn the hard way when I go out for a day and realise I hadn't formatted my card before going out and therefore not confident I've downloaded them, only to discover the capacity of the cards is reduced.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

JAK

Link Posted 27/11/2018 - 17:44
In my K-1 I now use 128Gb cards and write both jpeg & raw to both cards. That normally does me for over 1200 shots and surely safer than moving them over to a single portable drive which must be at more risk of failing than two SD cards?
Carry some spare SD cards and you'll be good for plenty of shots without worrying about backing up while you're away! Well you will have backed up the images as you take them.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 27/11/2018 - 17:51

darkskies

Link Posted 28/11/2018 - 15:41
It's the reason why I wouldn't use a single laptop, that it's a single point of backup.

When I went over to France I took a laptop and an external hard drive so I had 2 backups.

The idea of just shooting to 2 cards will be my best solution, I think. I will be taking a small tablet for emails etc.

I never take jpgs, as I previously mentioned. That would be a waste of available space for me. And that, obviously, means I don't have to worry about forgetting I have changed settings.

Anyway, thanks for all your help and suggestions. I have decided now, so no need for any more comments.

Cheers, everyone!

Gwyn

Link Posted 28/11/2018 - 17:34
Glad to hear you have decided what to do. I hope you have some successful photo shoots on your trips, and have some fun too.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.