Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Transferring photos to PC via wifi

JAK
Posted 06/05/2016 - 12:45 Link
The K-1 and K-S2 have wi-fi capabilty. Is it possible to transfer photos to a PC via this method? I can see nothing other than a smartphone 'app' linked to from the Ricoh site which is actually pretty poor and not what I'm after. While the 'app' might have its use as a super remote control I don't reckon my smartphone is up to processing raw files in full HD! Any suggestions, adapting eye-fi software or similar perhaps?
John K
Edited by JAK: 06/05/2016 - 12:47
Algernon
Posted 06/05/2016 - 14:45 Link
Unless it has a big aerial it won't be very fast.

I just use the Eye-Fi Card to transfer files when I'm at home. Averages 9.3sec per full sized JPG (about 10.5MB each). I don't transfer any RAWs. Easier to do that later.

I also use a Netgear Trek PR2000 Travel Router and Range Extender just plugged into the mains in whatever room I'm in. It should also work in the garden from a USB power bank or 3 AA Cells in a battery holder with a USB lead.

You can of course get faster range extenders.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2150850/network-storage/netgear-trek-pr2000-trave...

Everything connects very quickly and it's never failed to connect.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 06/05/2016 - 15:00
JAK
Posted 06/05/2016 - 15:05 Link
Trouble is the PC doesn't see the SD cards in the camera. In fact the PC doesn't even recognise the camera's password even though it sees its SSID. Even the smartphone apps report the password as being wrong though it isn't. One just has to start the app and it may or may not communicate, depending on the way the winds blowing! It seems to have been designed in a strange, non-standard convoluted way, destined to fail more often than to succeed.
John K

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.