Tour De France With K3

Fletcher8

Link Posted 07/07/2014 - 11:33
Spent Saturday and Sunday trying tp photograph the Tour De France, with some success, but as the riders arrive and pass so quickly, you only get a few chances. The other issue is that once you have driven to a location, you can't get anywhere else until the roads reopen. Anyway here are a few from the weekend.

Lenses used were FA* 80-200 & DA* 50-135 with 1.4 TC. I have read rumours about a new Pentax 70-200 lens and if this is true its about time. I just hope its faster than the DA* 50-135, its a great lens but, I just wish it were faster. I really enjoy shooting with the K3, but at times I get frustrated that the lens choice in the focal lengths I need is so restricted.
Fletcher8.
Last Edited by Fletcher8 on 07/07/2014 - 11:34

stub

Link Posted 07/07/2014 - 11:40
Nice set of images. Agree with the lens statement. You struggle with Pentax for choice If your into sports..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

Helpful

McGregNi

Link Posted 07/07/2014 - 13:33
No3 is excellent with the snake-like depiction of the race along the winding road, and it is a nicely framed but of countryside. So you did really well to be there af the right time, that's for sure!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 07/07/2014 - 13:35

Helpful

Stridey

Link Posted 07/07/2014 - 13:46
Excellent set with great viewpoints.

Regards
Nigel
Best regards
Nigel

www.nigelstridephotography.co.uk

Fletcher8

Link Posted 07/07/2014 - 14:40
Thanks guys. Well I will now have to wait until next year to get another go.
Fletcher8.

davidstorm

Link Posted 07/07/2014 - 17:05
Well done Gareth, I spent all day at 'Le Tour' in Oughtibridge (Sheffield) yesterday, camera gear in tow! I know how difficult it is to get good shots of the race, it really is chaotic, fast and unpredictable. The other problem is that with so many riders in the pelleton, the camera doesn't know where to focus! I might try MF next time.

I think your shots are good, I haven't processed mine yet but I think I have a few worth showing, so I'll put these on later. My favourite of the three above is the second one, this is superb, particularly so because all of the riders in shot are from the same team.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Helpful

tyronet2000

Link Posted 07/07/2014 - 17:13
All good shots, I particularly like #3 because of the viewpoint and #2 because for some reason it reminds me of the Goodies as well as being a great shot
Regards
Stan

PPG

Blythman

Link Posted 07/07/2014 - 17:49
very good set. #3 is great meandering across the diagonal
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Northgrain

Link Posted 07/07/2014 - 18:09
Great set. I went up to see the Tour yesterday, so can really understand the comments on the challenges of
photographing it . Looks like you found really excellent spots.
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

Helpful

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 07/07/2014 - 21:12
I love these photographs Gareth: they echo my memories of the day. My favourite is #2 as it shows the dynamism of the participants of the tour. and my, did they whizz past quickly.

Well done for capturing #3 at Kex Gill. It must have taken some walking or climbing to get up there. I regularly drive along that road and I've only ever seen sheep where you were!

I was lucky to be able to see the first and second stages of the tour and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I did manage a few snaps, non of note though as I don't have your ability and I wanted to view the tour first hand and not through a view finder whilst trying to operate a camera

Thank you for showing us your photographs.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

Helpful

Stuey

Link Posted 07/07/2014 - 22:24
I like these
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.