Tour de France

davidtrout

Link Posted 26/05/2014 - 21:58
A long time ago I was a road racer in amateur events. Competed in some events with the pros, including guys who had been in the Tour de France.
Nowadays there's no pro-am distinction but back in the 1960s there were some 1st cat events which also had semi pros (Independents) riding in them I gave it up when I got enaged and work became more demanding but came back to cycling in my 40s as a leisure hobby and after retirement rode a mountain bike on the many railway lines converted into cycle tracks near where I live. I don't ride any more now.
Carl you make me envious. Eurocar is more than just one of France's top teams, its one of the world's. That guy Tommy Voeckler in your team was a true star of the Tour de France a couple of years ago.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 26/05/2014 - 22:03

alimid

Link Posted 03/07/2014 - 17:23
Is anyone going to stage 3, Cambridge to London? I will be trying to catch start and finish after getting off the sleeper from Inverness.
Pentax K-1, K-3,K-5,

Blythman

Link Posted 03/07/2014 - 18:12
davidstorm wrote:
Been to check out the viewpoints today at my parents in law's house, there will be a superb view of the riders coming up Jawbone Hill in Sheffield, with no obstructions from spectators as they won't be allowed on this stretch of the road (it's too narrow and has no footpath).

Looking forward to getting some decent shots, this will take some planning.

Regards
David

Post code and house number please David
Alan

PPG
Flickr

davidstorm

Link Posted 03/07/2014 - 18:34
Blythman wrote:
Post code and house number please David

It's a closely guarded secret Alan People on this hill who own a bit of land are charging ridiculous amounts of money for one night's camping with no facilities.

We are camping out on a field behind the in-laws house which has the fantastic view down the hill that I mentioned, but we're a little concerned that other people might try to get on there and pitch their own tents on private land. They will get a rude response if they do!

Cheers
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

smudge

Link Posted 03/07/2014 - 18:44
TBH unless you are knowledgeable enough to recognise the riders one photo of a cyclist looks much the same as any other to me. Nevertheless as the tour passes within walking distance of my house I shall no doubt wander down and take a snap or two
Regards, Philip

Stuey

Link Posted 03/07/2014 - 22:35
I love the idea of this being over here and the opportunities it provides for other set etc BUT I can't bring myself to take pics of sweaty men in lycra

Just kidding, I hope you all have a great time and look forward to the pics
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

gartmore

Link Posted 04/07/2014 - 11:08
I saw it pass one time in France, a silent colorful blur that seemed to last 5 seconds, but worth the very long wait
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 05/07/2014 - 21:19
I watched the tour today coming through Ilkley today and concur with Dr O. - a long build up, with excitement growing and then a a blur of cars and bikes gone in a flash.

You don't need to be a keen cyclist to enjoy the spectacle. Thousands of people had come to see the race and I was perched on a wall next to a group of jolly lads who had come from Birmingham. Despite the warm, bright sunshine and the ready supply of beer they were good natured and celebrated along with everyone else. They even gave this "older man" a leg-up to get onto the wall

I am lucky that the second stage also comes close by and I will be in Addingham tomorrow. Happy to meet up if anyone is planning on being on the Addingham to Bolton Abbey road.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

pgweber

Link Posted 06/07/2014 - 00:46
I hope to be in Sheffield on or near to the 33% climb, 5km from the finish - the curiously named 'Cote de Jenkin Road' (translation: Jenkin Road).

My cousins lived just off there and it is no more than 1.5 miles from home. I have taken many a shot from near the summit including of the Tinsley Towers just before they came down and can't resist the surreal pull of an international event passing somewhere so close to my (parents') home.

The whole point of going to the hill is it will slow them all down and give me the chance to catch the climbing agonies etched on their faces - no flashing by in a couple of minutes!
Peter

Pentax K5
Pentax DA 18-55 Mk1, 50-200 (Samsung), 16-45, , 55-300, 35 f/2.4
Pentax MZ6 + FA28-90, FA50 f/1.4, M 50 f/1.7
Tamron 80-210mm & 28mm
Last Edited by pgweber on 06/07/2014 - 00:47

gtis

Link Posted 06/07/2014 - 11:04
Hi
I went to Leeds to see the start all I can say is what a fantastic day
Got to Leeds around 7-45 and it was 4 deep at the headrow no chance to see the start
But saw them signing in there was plenty of things goining off
Watching it on TV today
cheers Neil
pentax k3 k5 super A da* 300 f4 da*50-135 f 2.8 smc 50mm f1.7 af 360 fgz pentax1.4xhd converter
Pentax o-gps1

Panasonic Dmc Fz200
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.