Tour de France

gtis

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 22:37
fritzthedog wrote:
The company I have worked for for a very long time is the sponsor of one of the best cycling teams in France.

Anyway - to cut a long story short - I have managed to wangle the following:

For the Leeds to Harrogate leg of the race - I shall be in the team support car in the thick of things all day.

For the York-Sheffield leg - I shall be in the teams village before the race and will then be taking a small party of company guests up in a helicopter to follow the race.

As I live in a village between Knaresborough and Harrogate and most of the roads will be closed for 2 days- no idea how I am going to get to Leeds and York - but I will!!!!

Cheshire cat? Dog with 2 tails - yep and more

Carl

Hi Carl
Do you want somebody to carry your gear
cheers Neil
pentax k3 k5 super A da* 300 f4 da*50-135 f 2.8 smc 50mm f1.7 af 360 fgz pentax1.4xhd converter
Pentax o-gps1

Panasonic Dmc Fz200

ChrisA

Link Posted 25/05/2014 - 08:28
Just out of curiosity, while we're on the subject, are there any roadies around here?
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

geordie01

Link Posted 25/05/2014 - 09:30
I followed the tour in our motorhome for a couple of weeks six years ago it was one of the best holidays I have had.

gtis

Link Posted 25/05/2014 - 09:51
ChrisA wrote:
Just out of curiosity, while we're on the subject, are there any roadies around here?

No just a trail and mountain biker
cheers Neil
pentax k3 k5 super A da* 300 f4 da*50-135 f 2.8 smc 50mm f1.7 af 360 fgz pentax1.4xhd converter
Pentax o-gps1

Panasonic Dmc Fz200

AndrewA

Link Posted 25/05/2014 - 11:44
ChrisA wrote:

I am about to be Chris, am building up a 1982 Raleigh Record Ace as my mountain bike days are coming to an on account of a problem with my back.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

co049

Link Posted 25/05/2014 - 19:57
ChrisA wrote:

Keen racing cyclist for 25 years; I've had a go at most sides of the sport from track, road race, stage races, cyclo-cross and time trials.
Chris,

Pentax K1ii, K3, MX-1.
Pentax LX, Pentax MX, Pentax ME Super & Pentax MV.
"Old Skool" with the new!

Gwyn

Link Posted 25/05/2014 - 20:11
His Nibs used to be a road racer. Lost his front teeth to road racing.

Hasn't become a MAMIL (or maybe that should be OMIL ) in his retirement. Too many of them out and about breaking the traffic regs as it is here.

davidstorm

Link Posted 25/05/2014 - 23:58
Been to check out the viewpoints today at my parents in law's house, there will be a superb view of the riders coming up Jawbone Hill in Sheffield, with no obstructions from spectators as they won't be allowed on this stretch of the road (it's too narrow and has no footpath).

Looking forward to getting some decent shots, this will take some planning.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

co049

Link Posted 26/05/2014 - 07:18
Gwyn wrote:
Too many of them out and about breaking the traffic regs as it is here.

As a driver who also rides around 5,000mls a year on a bike, I see both sides of this, and there a just as many poor drivers who are impatient to pass cyclests at a safe distance or who pull out in front of a bike.
Chris,

Pentax K1ii, K3, MX-1.

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 26/05/2014 - 07:37
co049 wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
Too many of them out and about breaking the traffic regs as it is here.

As a driver who also rides around 5,000mls a year on a bike, I see both sides of this, and there a just as many poor drivers who are impatient to pass cyclests at a safe distance or who pull out in front of a bike.

Yes, I cycle on the roads and drive; you need to do both to appreciate the that problems work both ways. I always play it safe and give way to oncoming motorists as there's no point in being right after a collision and anyway, it's easier to dodge in and stop when you're on a bike. Some cyclists are insane and have a death wish, it seems.

Some motorists just can't drive and consider anyone else at the same time.

I tell my son about all the really stupid people with no empathy he knew in school... they've probably all got licenses now. And babies.

Majorca (which I otherwise love) presents my worst driving nightmare: having to pass lines of up to twenty cyclists on narrow twisting lanes all enboldened by their large numbers.

But I love the Tour and follow it (on TV) every year. Just waiting for the SKY to get their grasping hands on the rights as they have with cricket (I see the IPL is lost for next season) and rugby then there'll be nothing worth watching.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

co049

Link Posted 26/05/2014 - 08:03
Andrew I agree with you 100% and it an issue of how to get all road users to share the space safely and respectfulley.
Chris,

Pentax K1ii, K3, MX-1.

Gwyn

Link Posted 26/05/2014 - 08:54
I'm not referring to them on the road so much as on bike tracks. Compulsory bike tracks, which are often narrow, and one way. Yet they arrive in a huge peloton, ignore the one way, ignore bike lights, go round roundabouts the wrong way, shout at anyone who happens to be out getting from a to b on their bike or with their kids, and terrify the populace generally.
Mopeds on bike tracks are limited to 30kmph outside towns, 25kmph in towns - no such speed limit applies to fat men, and it is nearly always men, in unseemly tight lycra dreaming they are Mollema or more likely, given their age, Zoetermelk.

There have been several bike on bike fatal accidents here lately - frequently involving thin tyres against fat, and the fat come off worse. Thin on thin is not unusual either.

The regs here require bikes to have lights, a chain guard, mudguards, reflectors on the wheels and the rear of the bike, and an audible warning device (ie a bell). Yet to see a Mamil meet any one of those rules with their thin tyred bike.

Plus as a motorist in the Netherlands I am extremely aware of cyclists and how to behave around them, not least because almost regardless of what they do I am responsible should there be a coming together.

I enjoy watching the Tour or Giro as much as the next person, but I have given up cycling due to the terrorism on the bike tracks here.

greynolds999

Link Posted 26/05/2014 - 13:34
Whilst I agree that there are idiotic cyclists, drivers and even motorcyclists the thing that I find unfathomable is why so many cyclists (and motorcyclists) seem to have no concept of personal safety.

Riding in black clothes without lights is idiotic. Undertaking motorcycles on corners is idiotic. And cycling without a helmet is idiotic.

The worst thing is that too many cyclists don't seem to realise that drivers either cannot see them or will not look for them. And being in the right doesn't help if you're dead!
My Photobucket

co049

Link Posted 26/05/2014 - 21:09
greynolds999 wrote:
Whilst I agree that there are idiotic cyclists, drivers and even motorcyclists the thing that I find unfathomable is why so many cyclists (and motorcyclists) seem to have no concept of personal safety.

Riding in black clothes without lights is idiotic. Undertaking motorcycles on corners is idiotic. And cycling without a helmet is idiotic.

The worst thing is that too many cyclists don't seem to realise that drivers either cannot see them or will not look for them. And being in the right doesn't help if you're dead!

Even riding with bright clothing, lights and a helmet does ensure a motorist will see a cyclist speaking from personnel experience. Being left for dead at the side of the road by a driver overtaking me tried to squeeze through a gap with an oncoming car. They did not stop. Result me out cold for 10 mins, suffering concussion, broken wrist, left ear needing to be stitched back on to my head, and a hole in my left shoulder so the bone was visible. Just because the driver would not wait 5 or 10 seconds.
Chris,

Pentax K1ii, K3, MX-1.
Last Edited by co049 on 26/05/2014 - 21:12

Stuey

Link Posted 26/05/2014 - 21:44
Myself, son and better half were on the towpath between Froncysyllte and Chirk a few weeks ago and I took the lead for a change, approached a bridge, rang my bell a few times and then nearly had a head on with an idiot riding with both headphones from his I-pod in

A near miss and only the fact that my 10 year old son was behind stopped me from expressing my true opinions to the muppet about his stupidity

And I am not an angry type, usually
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Last Edited by Stuey on 26/05/2014 - 21:44
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.