Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Today's surprise photo.

psburnley
Posted 28/02/2021 - 17:37 Link
Posted this image in the gallery but wanted some advice from lepidopterists. Comment Image
We have had a harsh start to the year with snow and frosts (minus 2 last night). Having a wander round the garden and admiring the snowdrops which have been good this year and there is a butterfly - A small tortoiseshell enjoying the nectar. A grabshot with the KP and Sigma 105mm Macro. So are there insect experts on here to advise? Is this a newly emerged butterfly or, with the ragged edges to the wings, some sort of survivor from last summer. Anyway, a nice surprise in Lancashire this early in the year.
prsjnb
Posted 28/02/2021 - 18:29 Link
Small Tortoiseshells, along with the Peacock, Brimstone and Comma butterflies, regularly hibernate over Winter as adults (imago) in the UK and their emergence and appearance on the wing is a sure sign that Spring is on its way 👋

More here: link
psburnley
Posted 28/02/2021 - 20:08 Link
Well Jon thanks for that information. As ever I discover another huge gap in my knowledge and will have to delve into books/Google.

Cheers

Peter
Lubbyman
Posted 02/03/2021 - 13:42 Link
Butterfly Conservation, Dorset branch, has reported small tortoiseshells out and about after hibernation. Yours is in good condition compared with the one in the e-mailed photo I received yesterday.

Steve
Posted 07/03/2021 - 19:32 Link
I know little about butterflies, but that is a cracking image. 👍

Yet again, I'm impressed at the variety of knowledge that is shown on this site.
Be well, stay safe, but most of all, invest in memories
Edited by Urbanmeister: 07/03/2021 - 19:33
Posted 24/03/2021 - 16:41 Link
It is an amazing photo! Congratulations!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.